Chapter 7

Behind the Mask

“Where are we going?”

Minji’s solemn expression twisted Baekhyun’s heart.

“It’s a surprise.”  She gave him a skeptical look, but didn’t argue as he grabbed her hand and pulled her along behind him.  His hand was warm and pleasant, if she had to admit it.  The crowd on the sidewalk grew thicker.

“Don’t let go of my hand,” Baekhyun said over his shoulder.  He sped up and pushed through the people.  Minji felt like he was gradually getting further ahead and had a mini panic attack.  She reached forward with her other hand and grabbed a handful of Baekhyun’s shirt.  They walked a few more blocks, then Baekhyun stopped.  Minji ran straight into him.

“Oof.”  The air whooshed from her and she drew a quick breath.  Her face was millimeters away from Baekhyun’s back so all she inhaled was his scent.  He smelled fresh, and if such a thing were possible, warm.  Like a blanket.  She quickly gathered her senses and released her hold on him, backing up.  She tried to see where they were, but before she could fully examine their surroundings, Baekhyun pulled her inside a building to her left.

A young woman greeted them from behind the counter.  “Hello, what can I do for you today?”

“We need to rent a room.”

Minji’s eyes widened.  A room?  What kind of girl does he think I am?

“Right this way,” the young woman said, leading them down the hallway.  She opened a door and motioned for them to enter.  “Let us know if you need anything.”

The door closed and Minji spun around to face Baekhyun, intending to tell him off for even thinking of taking her to a hotel.  He was bent over a table in the center of the room.  A room, which on further inspection, was not a hotel room, but a karaoke room.  Baekhyun lifted the remote from the table and the TV.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” he asked, looking confused.  “Is there something on my face?”  He felt his cheeks.

Minji shook her head and brushed past him to sit on the sofa.  He flopped down next to her and opened the book of songs across both their laps. 

“What do you want to sing?” he asked. 

“Hmm. . . I don’t know.  You go first.”

“All right.”  He flipped through a few pages.  “This one!”  He entered the code and jumped up to grab the microphone. 

“Thank you, ladies and gentleman.  This one goes out to a very special lady.”  He pointed to Minji and winked.  “You know who you are.”

Minji sat on the couch, arms crossed, looking unimpressed.  The music started and Baekhyun’s expression transformed from comical to serious. 

As he gazed at her, he began to sing “Love Song,” by Rain.  The quality of his tone surprised her.  It seemed to wrap around her, hypnotic.  Her posture faltered and she leaned forward, afraid to miss a note, hanging on every syllable.  He was amazing.

Baekhyun winked at her and the spell he had weaved seemed to somewhat loosen its grasp around her.  He put down the microphone and took a step closer.  Minji held her breath.  His expression still serious, he started to dance.  It was perfect, just like Rain was doing on the monitor behind him.  So perfect, and so. . . funny.  Baekhyun flirtatiously puckered his lips as he danced.

The laughter bubbled and she couldn’t stop it.  For the first time in a long time, she didn’t want to.  She gave herself up to it, laughing until she was curled up on the couch, holding her sides as tears streamed down her cheeks.

“Should I be insulted that you can’t stop laughing?”

Minji sat up and tried to get herself under control as Baekhyun knelt in front of her.  He reached forward to wipe her cheeks dry.  Immediately, she sobered up and her laughter died.

“Laughter suits you.  I didn’t know it was possible for you to be even more beautiful.”  His thumbs gently caressed her cheeks.

Her heart was beating fast as he began to lean forward.  Her eyes started to flutter shut, seemingly of their own free will.  A mere breath away, he paused and tilted his head to the side and kissed her cheek.  Warmth pooled in her cheeks as she blushed fiercely. 

“My turn,” Minji said, searching for a distraction.  She jumped up from the couch and grabbed the song list.  She flipped through and found a song she wanted, then entered the number.

She sang to “Marshmallow” by IU.  Her voice was untutored and sweet.  Baekhyun couldn’t help but be moved by it.  He clapped in time to the music and when the chorus came he encouraged her to dance.  

After a few more songs and laughs, Minji and Baekhyun left.  There was a companionable silence between them as they walked down the street. 

“Feeling any better?”

A ghost of a smile graced Minji’s lips and she nodded.  “Yes, thank you.”  She tucked a loose lock of hair behind her ear.  “You know, you have an amazing voice.”

“A compliment from Noona?”  Baekhyun clasped his hands to his heart theatrically.  “My life is now complete!”

“Yah!” Minji shouted and lightly punched his arm.

He stuck his hands in his pockets as they continued walking.  “And you,” he said, spinning around to walk backwards in front of her, “have got some dance skills.”

Yet another blush.  What is wrong with me?  She blew her bangs away from the front of her face.  “Thanks, but you don’t need to give me false compliments.”

He stopped walking, forcing her to stop as well.  “I don’t do false compliments.  Seriously.”  He tilted her chin up with his finger.  “We should dance together sometime.” 

She bit her bottom lip and tilted her head thoughtfully.  “I don’t remember saying you could dance.”

“I don’t remember you taking your eyes off me when I did.”

The air was getting warm again and Minji swallowed.  He was right.  She hadn’t taken her eyes off him.  Just like she couldn’t right now. 

“Your phone is going off.”  She shook herself and pulled her phone out of her pocket, feeling silly for not noticing it.

No luck finding you a place to stay yet.  Do you have somewhere you can go for the night?- Junhyung

“You can stay with me.”

Minji looked to her left to see Baekhyun reading her text over her shoulder.  She snapped it shut.

“Thanks for the offer, but I’ll figure something out.”

“What’s there to figure out?  I have an extra bed at my place.  And I have a roommate, so you don’t have to worry about me taking advantage of you.  I’ll behave, I promise.”  He crossed his heart.

She looked at him uncertainly.  The inner turmoil was unbearable.  She knew it was something she shouldn’t even consider and yet that’s what she found herself doing.  What am I thinking?, she thought.  I must be crazy.  She pulled out her phone.

I’ve found a place to stay for the night.  Don’t worry about me and get some rest.

 


 

I hope you guys are enjoying the story so far!  ^^  I'm having a lot of fun writing it!