Chapter 17

Behind the Mask

Tao leaned nonchalantly against his doorframe.  “Who’s your friend?” he asked Minji.

“This is Minzy,” she said.  “Minzy, this is Tao.”  She fought to keep the smile from her face.  Tao had accomplished the impossible.  He’d made Minzy speechless.  Minji nudged her.  “Z?”

“Oh,” she said, snapping out of her daze.  “Hey, nice to meet you.”  She gave a small wave.

Baekhyun poked his head out of the kitchen.  “Tao, stop bothering the girls and come help me with breakfast.”

“Yeah, sure.”  Tao looked back to the new girl and inclined his head.  “Ladies.”

Once Tao had left, Minzy looked at Minji in awe, hanging open.  “How is it I’ve heard nothing about him?”  A more distressing thought occurred to her.  “Wait, which one gave you the mark?  Which-”

Minji clamped a hand over Minzy’s mouth.  “Keep it down.”  She listened intently to ensure the boys were busy and not paying attention.  A cupboard opened and closed and she heard the sound of a pan being set on the stove.  “Baekhyun,” she whispered.  “Not Tao, Baekhyun.”

Minzy grinned and removed her hand.  “Seriously, Min.  That guy is. . . his eyes. . .”

“Oh believe me, I know.  The first time I met him, I knew you’d like him.” 

*               *               *

In the kitchen Tao was hassling Baekhyun.  “Hyung, did you see her?”  He leaned back on the counter while Baekhyun cooked the bacon.  “She’s totally my type.”

Baekhyun was trying not to laugh.  “I thought you wanted to dibs Minji in case I wasn’t interested.  You sure changed gears fast.”

“I was just nudging you in the right direction with a little friendly competition.  Not that Minji isn’t hot, cuz man,” he nodded meaningfully.  “Yeah, she is.  But her friend. . .she’s. . .”  Tao tried to search for the right words.  

“I got it, you don’t need to explain.  Just behave yourself, ok?”

Tao gasped dramatically.  “Me?  Misbehave?”  He smirked.  “Can’t say I wouldn’t like to misbehave with her.”  He his lips.

“Yah!  Get your mind out of the gutter and start cooking the eggs, will you?”

“Yes, boss.”  Tao saluted and got to work.  When the boys finished cooking, they called the girls into the kitchen.

“Wow, you guys outdid yourselves,” Minzy said as she sat beside Minji.  The boys seated themselves across from them.  Almost immediately, Minzy started shoveling food in .  “It’s soooo good!”  Tao couldn’t help the small smile that formed as he watched her.  Minzy put some more bacon on her plate.  “I need some of this before Min gets to it.  She looooooves bacon!”

“Hear that man?  Minji loves you!”  Tao playfully elbowed Baekhyun.

“Tao. . .” Baekhyun warned, but Tao didn’t listen and just kept talking.

“This guy’s nickname is Bacon.”  He grinned as the confusion on the girls’ faces changed to amusement.

“Yah!” Baekhyun shouted jokingly.

“Baekhyun. . .Bacon. . .” Minji mused.  “It suits you.” 

Baekhyun felt himself begin to blush.  “If you like that, you’ll love Tao’s nickname,” he said.

Tao’s eyes widened.  “I was just messing around, Baek.  It was all in good fun, you know?”

“It’s all right.  No hard feelings, Peaches.”

Minzy spit the orange juice she had been drinking back into her glass as she started to laugh.  Tears were coming out of her eyes and she couldn’t stop.  Minji laughed beside her, but more at her friend than the ridiculous nickname.  Soon they were all laughing, even Tao who had been scowling at Baekhyun.  Minzy was the first to collect herself.

“Hmm. . . Peaches and Bacon.  What an interesting combination.”

“What about you two?  Any embarrassing names we should know about?” Tao inquired.

“Z is the only nickname I’ve ever been called.  People used to call us the Mins though.  The three of us. . .” Minzy trailed off awkwardly before continuing.  “But Minji here,” she jerked her thumb towards her, “she has the best nickname ever.”

Minji’s eyes widened.  “No one calls me that anymore.  It doesn’t count.”

There was a twinkle in Minzy’s eyes as she looked at each boy in turn, noting the anticipation in each.  “As I told you already, she’s fond of bacon.  She always has been, to a ridiculous degree.  And she’s always been super tough and awesome at martial arts.  So the other Min and I nicknamed her Pork Chop.”

“Thanks, Z.”  She laughed self-consciously.

“I think it’s unique.  Just like you, Noona.”  Baekhyun said and winked.

“Wait, I just remembered,” Tao said.  “No one answered my question this morning.  Who has a mark on their neck?”

The table went silent and Minji place a hand over the mark she hadn’t known was there until Minzy saw it.  She looked off to the side.

“Oh,” Tao beamed.  “No wonder you two were late last night.”

 


 

I just want to say thank you to all of you who have been commenting.  It brightens my day to read your comments!  ^o^  I hope you keep enjoying the story!