Chapter 12

Behind the Mask

After gathering together some clothes and necessities, Baekhyun and Minji took a cab to his apartment.  Minji was silent the entire cab ride home.  She just sat staring out the window, no expression on her face, Baekhyun’s jacket pulled tight around her.

The cab stopped and Baekhyun went around to open the door for her, as she seemed to not have even noticed that they’d arrived.  “Minji?”  He leaned down to see her tear filled eyes.  Aishh, I could kill that guy for making her like this.  “Come on,” he said, scooping her into his arms.  “Put your arms around my neck.”

She silently obeyed and before long they were inside the apartment.  Baekhyun placed her gently on the couch.  “Lay here for a bit.  I’m going to run you a hot bath.”

When the water was ready, she walked into the bathroom in a daze.  She undressed and looked at herself in the mirror.  Bruises were already appearing on her arms and wrists.  Zico, what happened to you? Tears fell silently down her cheeks.  She thought of the man she’d seen in the hall earlier.  I’m sorry, Oppa.  I don’t know if I can keep my promise anymore.

*               *               *

When she left the bathroom, Baekhyun came out of the kitchen carrying a cup of hot chocolate.  He ushered her into his bedroom and sat beside her on the bed.  “Here.  Drink this.”

She sipped at the hot chocolate.  “Thank you.  It’s good.”  She set the cup on the table beside the bed and looked self-conscious.  “I’m sorry you had to see all that.  He’s never been like that before.  I’m not really sure what happened, but-“

“You don’t have to defend him.  In fact, you shouldn’t defend him.”

“I know.  It’s just that, if you knew his past. . . And, well, I promised someone a long time ago that I’d watch after him.”

Baekhyun pulled her into his arms and rested his chin on her head.  “Don’t even begin to blame yourself for this.  It’s not your fault.”  He felt her begin to tremble from the effort of holding back her emotions.  “You’ve been strong for long enough.  Go ahead and cry.  I’ll be here beside you and I won’t let you go.”

With those words the wall she’d built around her emotions cracked.  The tears came and she held on to Baekhyun as she sobbed.  Baekhyun gently her back.  She didn’t know how long she cried, but when she stopped she was completely exhausted.  Baekhyun pulled back to look at her, wiping away some tear streaks with his thumb.

“There now.  Feel any better.”  She nodded.  “Good.  I think you should get some rest." 

Minji laid down and he pulled the blanket from the foot of the bed to cover her.  He shut off the lamp beside the bed and turned to leave when he felt a hand on his wrist.  He froze, eyes wide.  Her grip was tentative, unsure.

“Would you. . .would you stay with me tonight?”  Minji’s voice was barely above a whisper.

Baekhyun swallowed, turning slowly to face her.  “Of course,” he said and was rewarded with a shy smile.  Minji scooted over on the bed and lifted up the blanket in invitation.  He crawled in beside her and her grip moved from his wrist to hold his hand.  They both lay on their sides facing each other, hands clasped between them. 

“Baekhyun?” 

“Yeah?”

“Thank you.”

Baekhyun smiled and reached a hand over to smooth her hair from her face.  “You have two oppas to protect you now, so rest easy and get some sleep.”

“You won’t leave me?”

“I’ll be right here beside you when you wake up.” 

Minji smiled and closed her eyes as sleep overtook her.

*               *               *

I could get used to this, Baekhyun thought as he woke up.  Minji was still asleep.  Somehow, during the night, their position had changed.  Their hands were no longer clasped, but this alternative was much better.  Minji had curled herself up against him, her head on his chest and an arm loosely gripping his waist. 

She fit so well against him, it was unbearable.  She’s been through a lot, Baekhyun.  Do not move.  Let her sleep.  She sighed in her sleep and snuggled closer.  I am a gentleman, I am a gentleman, I am a gentleman. . .

*               *               *

Minji slept better than she had in a long time.  She smiled and began to shift only to realize her position.   Omo!  What am I doing to Baekhyun?  Aishh, if I move, he might wake up! 

Baekhyun sensed the moment she woke up and realized her predicament.  He cleared his throat.

“Good morning,” he said. 

Minji sat up in the bed, pulling the blanket up to her chest.  “Good morning.  I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to. . . I mean, I hope you slept well.”

“I did, actually.  Better than I have in a long time.”

Minji blushed.  The door to the bathroom opened and closed and they heard the shower come on. 

“Sounds like Tao is up.  I should start breakfast.”

“No!”   Minji shouted.  “I mean no.  I want to make you guys breakfast.  You know, for helping me last night.”  She practically jumped out of the bed.  “I’ll come get you when it’s ready.”

Baekhyun looked at the empty spot beside him after she left the room.  It’s only been 10 seconds.  How can I possible miss her already?