Chapter 20

Behind the Mask

“Explain this to me again.  Why are you going to spar against Tao?” Baekhyun asked.

“Back in high school, whenever someone wanted to be Z’s boyfriend, she’d have them fight me.  If they won, she’d accept them.  If not, well, then she wouldn’t.”  Minji shrugged.

“And how many boyfriends did she have in high school?”

Minji smiled, pulling her hair into a ponytail so it would be out of her way.  “Hmm. . . Let’s see. . .  None, at least not officially.  She dated a lot, even some of the boys that lost.  She just never had an official boyfriend.”  She tugged her hair through the elastic one last time.  “Shouldn’t you be over there giving Tao a pep talk?”

“Tao?  Nah.  He probably thinks this will be the easiest thing he’s ever done.  Don’t go easy on him.”

“Are you ready?” Luhan asked Minji.  She nodded as she stretched her legs and arms.

Tao and Minji faced each other on the beach, Luhan standing between them as the MC.  “All right you two.  I want a good clean fight!  First to fall or get knocked down loses!  Let’s get ready to rumble!”  Luhan grinned and dimples appeared.  “I’m funny.”

“Sit by me, Oppa!”  Pilsuk patted the dirt between her and Eunhee and he obliged. 

“Good luck, Min,” Minzy shouted with her hands cupped around .

Tao and Minji bowed to each other.  “Ladies first,” Tao smirked, obviously confident how this was going to end.  Minji ran forward and jumped into the air, doing a 360 degree spin kick.  Surprised, and grudgingly impressed, Tao ducked down.  Minji landed behind him and swept her leg out towards his feet.  He reacted quickly, doing a backflip and landing on his feet.

They faced each other once more.  Minji reached out her hand and beckoned him to come at her, Bruce Lee style.  As he ran towards her, he sensed her intent as she began to drop to the ground to sweep his leg.  To evade, he spun his body into the air above her, landing in panther like pose behind her.  They smiled and their eyes held respect for their opponent. 

The sparring continued and soon both were short of breath.  They circled each other and Tao wiped the sweat from his forehead, contemplating his next move.  She seemed to adapt to each new thing he tried and he was running out of ideas.  His thoughts were interrupted as he noticed she was mouthing words to him.  Her back was to the crowd, so none of them could see what she was doing.

“Sweep my leg,” she mouthed.

Confused, Tao whispered so that no one else could hear.  “I don’t want an empty victory.”

Minji smirked confidently.  “Who says you would win otherwise?  Besides, you could collect your award a lot sooner and I could teach Z that I won’t always be there to win her battles for her.” She whispered back.

After a moment of contemplation, Tao decided to agree.  “Make it look convincing.”  He ran, making it look as though he was going to leap into midair, then dropped down to the ground to sweep Minji’s legs out from under her.  Right on cue, she fell to the ground.

“What?” Minzy shrieked from the sidelines.  “What just happened?”

Tao held out a hand to help Minji stand.  She dusted herself off and looked to her friend apologetically.  “Sorry, Z.  I lost.”  She turned to Tao.  “You’re good.  That was fun.”

“Same to you.  You’ve got some skills.”  They bowed to each other again, then walked back to their friends.  Tao immediately approached Minzy and sat beside her.  She folded her arms and looked the other way.

Tao braced his arm behind her and she could feel the heat coming off of his body.  Do not melt, Minzy told herself.  “What favor do you want?” she asked, trying to keep her voice steady.  He leaned in closer and she could feel his breath on her cheek.  She slowly turned her head to face him, their noses almost touching.  His eyes were half closed and she felt hers start to flutter shut too.  He traced her bottom lip with his thumb.

“Later,” he said.

*               *               *

“Why did you let him win?” Baekhyun asked.

Minji tried to hide her shock.  “Why do you think I let him win?”

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow.  “Your fall was convincing, but his leg didn’t quite connect with yours.”

“I’m impressed you noticed.”  She laughed.  “Don’t tell anyone.  Z just needs to learn to handle things on her own sometimes, that’s all.”  She looked at her friend and Tao.  “Besides, I’m pretty sure she’ll be thanking me later.”

*               *               *

The sun had gone down and the group headed back to the hotel to grab something to eat.  They decided to change and meet in the boys’ room, order room service and watch a movie.  Everyone was so exhausted, they only made it through half of a movie before everyone decided to call it a night.

“We didn’t even get to swim today,” Pilsuk whined as they returned to their room. 

“We still have all day tomorrow.  We can get up early and go,” Eunhee suggested.

“Yay!  Let’s do it!”  She yawned loudly, stretching her arms over her head.  “We better get to sleep now.”  She grabbed Eunhee’s arm and the two giggled as they went to their room.

Minji and Minzy went to their room as well.  Minzy couldn’t lie still.  She kept rolling over and finally gave up and sat up in bed.

“How, Min?  How did you lose?”

“He just took me by surprise, Z.  I’m sorry.  So what favor did he ask for?”

Minzy was grateful for the darkness that hid her blush from her friend.  “He hasn’t said yet.  Only that he will collect it later.”

“Oooooooo,” Minji teased, laughing when Minzy through a pillow at her.

Minzy flopped back down on her bed.  “Go to sleep,” she said with a smile as she thought of all the favors Tao could ask for.  “Sweet dreams, Min.”  I know I’m going to have some. . .

 


Three updates in 2 days!  Yay!  Sorry if this chapter had too much Tao and Minzy.  I wanted to give them some time too.  ^o^