Chapter 4

Behind the Mask

“Zico.  What are you doing here?”

He reached his hand through the gap in the door and undid the chain, letting himself in.  He threw himself down in a chair.

“I heard some guys talking about how they were going to have some good times with a girl earlier, but some chick came and ruined the whole scheme. . . We had a talk after they were done nursing their pride and they told me it was you.”  Zico raised an eyebrow.  “What’s this about, Min?  I thought you were done being a tough girl?”

“I am.”  Minji didn’t sit, but stood with her arms crossed.  “But come on Zico, what was I supposed to do?  That girl was 16, if she was a day.”

Zico’s eyes narrowed, considering.  “Still, you could have ran for help, but you got involved.”  He stood and took a step towards her.  “Face it.  You like the challenge, the danger.”  He reached out and lifted her chin to make her look at him.  “You miss it. . . You miss me.”

“It’s starting to seem like it’s you who misses me, Zico.  What happened to Sunhee?  I thought you two were a pretty hot item.”

“She’s not you, Min.  She never could be.  She’s tough enough, but her fire doesn’t burn as hot and bright as yours.”

Minji brushed his hand away from her face.  “I think you should be going.”  She took a step back.

“You can’t fool me, Min.  You never could.  But I’ll go.”  Zico opened the door, then paused and spoke over his shoulder.  “Oh and tell that guy from earlier, no one touches what’s mine.  You wouldn’t want him to turn out like those guys from earlier.  They thought they could touch you too.”

“Zico, what did you do?”

“I finished taking care of your problem.”  He looked back at her.  “Lock the door behind me.” 

And then he was gone.

Min fell to the ground and wrapped her arms around her knees.  Why?  Why did he have to show up at my door now after all this time?

*               *               *

There was a slight vibration followed by a groan as Minji rolled over in bed to look at her phone.

Are you awake?- Junhyung

I am now, she messaged back.

Everyone is talking about how crazy Zico was acting yesterday.  He really messed up a couple guys who were talking about you.  Keep your eye out, he might be coming to see you.- Junhyung

Thanks for the warning, but it’s too late.  I saw him last night.

What?  Where are you?  Let’s meet up.  I’ll come to you- Junhyung

Minji closed her phone after promising to meet Junhyung at the coffee shop down the street. 

*               *               *

“Minji!”  Junhyung stood up from the table as she entered the coffee shop.  He’d chosen a corner table and pulled her down to sit beside him.  He put his hands on either side of her face and gave her a direct look.  “Are you ok?  Don’t even try to lie to me.”

She pulled his hands away but still held them in her own.  “I’m ok.  He took me by surprise, but I’m ok.”

Minji explained her encounter with Zico, leaving out the part about Baekhyun. 

“What happened with Sunhee, Junhyung?  Why isn’t Zico with her?”

“He dumped her.  There was a misunderstanding.  He thinks she cheated on him, which isn’t true at all, but he won’t listen.”

“So his way of solving the problem is to just go back to me.”

“I don’t know what he’s thinking.  Once he realizes that Sunhee didn’t cheat on him he’ll probably be normal and leave you alone again.”

Minji nodded.  “I hope so.”  She leaned her head on his shoulder.

He patted her head.  “For now, I don’t think you should stay at your house.  He’ll find you at mine, so that’s out too.  I’ll find you someone to stay with, so just lay low today, ok?”

Her head rubbed against his shoulder, a sign of her agreement.

“Thank you.”

*               *               *

Minji stopped at the curb outside the shop.  So now what am I going to do today?

Her phone vibrated.  What does Junhyung need now?  I am just outside.

Hey!  What’s up?  Are you busy?-  Oppa

“Oppa?”

Who is this?

Ouch.  It’s Baekhyun.  ^^  Where are you?- Oppa

So he thinks he’s my Oppa?  She smiled.  Well, I do need something to do today. . .

She thought of Zico’s threat, then pushed it away.

I’m at the coffee shop.  She messaged him the address.

 For today, she would pretend that nothing was wrong.  Tomorrow she’d work on solving her problems.

I’ll be there in 5!- Oppa