Chapter 10

Behind the Mask

Minji left the bathroom, once again dressed in her own clothes.  The braid was undone and her hair fell in soft waves across her shoulders and down her back.  She sniffed the air curiously.  Something smells good.  She walked to the kitchen and saw Baekhyun sitting at the table eating bacon and eggs.  Her stomach rumbled.

“That was an ominous sound.”  Baekhyun smiled and stood up to pull out a chair.  “Have a seat.  Tao is making us breakfast to apologize for last night.”

“Tao?”

Baekhyun pointed towards the stove.  Oh my gosh.  How did I miss himwhen I walked in?  He had hair more black than anyone she had ever seen.  He came forward and put a plate of bacon and eggs in front of her too.  His eyes were pitch black, she noticed, as his hair fell across them.  Only one word could describe him.  Temptation.  She had a feeling that girls went nuts over him.  Z, you have got to meet this guy.  Soooo your type.

“Thank you.” 

“You’re welcome.  And I’m sorry for last night, you know.  I meant it as a joke.”

“I figured as much.  And you are forgiven.”

“Wait,” Baekhyun said.  “You can’t let him off that easy.  I know you can take him down.  You are probably the only one who can.”

Tao narrowed his eyes and leaned towards Minji.  “This slip of a girl could take me down, huh?”

Minji smirked.  “I hear you practice martial arts?  We should spar sometime.”

“You know martial arts?  Seriously?”  Tao stood up straight and grinned.  “Baekhyun, I like this girl.  Keep her around.”

“Yes, boss,” Baekhyun said and saluted.

Minji finished her breakfast and thanked Tao again.  “I really should be getting back to my place.  Thank you for letting me stay the night.”

“I’ll walk you home,” Baekhyun offered, standing as she did.

“Thank you, but that’s not necessary.”  She bowed to Tao and went to put on her shoes.  Baekhyun followed her.

“If you still need a place to stay, you are more than welcome here.  I hope you know that.”

“You’re sweet,” she said, tucking her hair back.  Before she could change her mind, she raised up a little on her toes and kissed his cheek.  “Thank you.”

The door closed and Baekhyun touched his cheek and smiled.  I could get used to this.

“So that’s the girl who saved Pilsuk?”  Tao raised an eyebrow.  “I don’t remember you saying she’s gorgeous or that she knows martial arts.”

“Didn’t seem important for you to know.”  Baekhyun walked to his room.

“Just so you know, if things don’t work out, I totally call dibs on her.”  A pillow came flying from the doorway to Baekhyun’s room, aimed directly at Tao’s head.  Not surprisingly, he caught it in mid-air.  Tao laughed.  “Just saying.”

*               *               *

Everything seemed normal at her apartment.  Minji got cleaned up and changed clothes before heading to work.  She had a lot of studios to clean today and didn’t want to waste a minute.  Even though there was a lot of work, time flew by and soon it was time to head home.

When she left, it was still somewhat light outside, making the journey less forbidding.  I mean, it’s not as if Zico camped out at my place, right?  If there was anything to worry about, Junhyung would have messaged me.

A motorcycle was parked outside her apartment building.  It looked vaguely familiar but she brushed it off.  She climbed the stairs to her apartment and turned the corner.  There was a guy sitting by her door.  He had his knees pulled up and his head resting on top of them.  She hesitated as something about this situation seemed familiar too.  That black hair. . . I swear I’ve. . . She stopped as the guy slowly woke up and blinked the sleep from his eyes.  He smiled and the dim hallway suddenly seemed enveloped in sunlight.

It can’t be. . .  She thought and covered in surprise.  He rose to his feet and came and wrapped his arms around her.  He smelled like leather and she closed her eyes, savoring it. 

“Min,” he whispered in her ear.  “You shouldn’t be here.”

Her eyes snapped open as he spoke only to discover she was alone in the hallway.  She backed up to the window at the top of the stairs and looked out.  The motorcycle that had been parked out front was gone, if it had even been there in the first place.

She felt tears coming but refused to cry.  I’m going crazy, she thought as she reached a shaking hand forward to unlock the door. 

*               *               *

“Baekhyun,” Tao said as Baekhyun returned home.  “You need to go check your phone.  It’s been going off for the past half hour or so in your room.”

Baekhyun patted his pockets, eventually pulling out his phone.  “I don’t think so.  I’ve got it right here.”  He thought a bit, then went to see if his guess was right.  He held up the phone to show Tao.  “Minji forgot her phone in my room.”

The phone vibrated in Baekhyun’s hand.  “You should see who it is.  Someone has been calling or texting for quite some time.”

“Isn’t it wrong to just look?  I mean, she might be angry with me for invading her privacy.”  He wrestled with what to do and then remembered the phone call where she’d gotten pale and the text message that had resulted in her staying at his place.  What if it’s important? 

He flipped open the phone.  There were multiple missed calls and messages from someone named Junhyung.  Most of them were asking where she was and why wasn’t she answering her phone and such.  The last message was the most worrisome, however.

Do not go home!  Zico was at the club drinking and then just took off, no one knows where to.  Please call me as soon as you get this!- Junhyung

“What?  Is it a message from her boyfriend?” Tao teased. 

“I think she might be in trouble.  I’ve got to go.” 

Tao grabbed the phone and read the text.  “I’m coming with you.”

*               *               *

Minji closed the door and dropped her bag on the floor.  I just want to go to bed.  She had just walked into her room and began to her blouse when she heard a door close behind her.  She turned to see Zico leaning against it.


 

Sorry it took so long for me to update!  I was in Anaheim for the SMTown concert!  Everyone was amazing, especially EXO!  I lost my voice screaming for them!  Hope you enjoyed the update.  ^o^