Chapter 8

Behind the Mask

“Here we are.  Make yourself at home.”  Baekhyun put his keys in the bowl on the table beside the door.  “Sorry for the mess.”

The mess?  Minji looked around.  There wasn’t a thing out of place that she could see.  A few magazines were on the coffee table by the couch, but other than that. . . Well, it seemed either he or his roommate was a neat freak.

She took off her shoes at the door and Baekhyun nudged some slippers towards her.  “Guest slippers.”  He smiled.

There was still another pair of slippers.  “Is your roommate not home?”

“Not yet.  He stays out late a lot of the time.  He’s really into martial arts and is constantly training.”  He motioned to the couch.  “Have a seat and I’ll grab us something to drink.”

The couch was firm yet soft enough to sink into.  Minji pulled her feet up underneath her.  The room didn’t have a lot of decorations.  Couch, a couple chairs, coffee table, bookcase, a TV.  Yep, definitely a bachelor pad. 

A glass of juice appeared in front of her face.  “Here you go.  And a snack as well.”  He set a plate of sliced apples on the coffee table.  Baekhyun sat down beside her and the TV. 

The variety show “Star King” was on.  “So, I don’t mean to pry. . .”  He scratched his head awkwardly.  “What I’m trying to say is, if there is anything I can do, please tell me.  You are welcome to stay here as long as you need.”

A drop of condensation dripped down the glass in her hand.  “Thank you.  I appreciate everything you’ve done.  Today was great.”  She looked him in the eyes.  “Really, thank you.”

Baekhyun swallowed.  Not good.  Her eyes really shouldn’t be so beautiful.  A shade he had originally thought to be a deep brown, was actually a dark violet.  The more he looked into them, the more he lost himself.  He cleared his throat.

“I’m going to take a quick shower,” he said, quickly standing up.  “Help yourself to anything in the kitchen.” 

Minji nodded and turned her attention to the TV.  When she heard the shower come on, she set her glass on the coffee table and lay down with her head on the arm of the couch, watching the show.  There was a man blowing up balloons with his nose.  Gross!  He even made a flower out of some balloons and gave it to the female host.  No, thank you!

She yawned.  I’ll just close my eyes for a second. . .

*               *               *

Baekhyun stared at his reflection above the sink. 

Get a grip!  She’s just a girl!  Heck, I’ve only known her for 2 days. . .

He rubbed a towel vigorously over his hair and combed it with his fingers.

You’ve got this, Baekhyun!  Fighting!

He dressed in sweats and a t-shirt and left the bathroom.  The TV was still on, but Minji’s head was no longer visible above the back of the couch.

Did she leave while I showered?

He rushed around the sofa to find her fast asleep.  He knelt beside her.  She was a lot easier to be around when she was sleeping.  Thick, dark lashes fanned out above her cheeks.  He traced the tips with his finger, smiling to himself.  Her lashes fluttered and he quickly pulled his hand away before her eyes opened.

“Bathroom’s open.  I left you a change of clothes in there if you’d like to shower.”

Her head nodded on the arm of the sofa and she sat up.  “I will, thank you.”

He watched as she walked to the bathroom, noticing the unconscious way her hips swayed.  The door closed behind her and he released a breath he didn’t know he’d been holding.

She’s just a girl. . . Just a girl. . .

He heard the shower start and groaned, quickly turning up the volume on the TV.

*               *               *

The shower helped to clear her mind.  After drying off with the towel, she examined the clothes Baekhyun had left for her.  A pair of sweats and a t-shirt.  The shirt was simple and black with a hexagon-like symbol on the back.  Interesting.

She dressed and then quickly braided her hair before going out.  The t-shirt fit well, just a little snug across her chest.  The sweats, however, were so long they hid her feet.  Could be worse, she thought as she left the bathroom and joined Baekhyun on the couch once more.  The variety show had ended and he was now watching a drama.

They sat in a companionable silence and watched the show.  After about half an hour, she began to feel sleepy again but continued to fight it.  She blinked slowly.

*               *               *

Baekhyun sat pretending to watch the drama.  He watched Minji in his peripheral vision.  Her head started to nod until finally she fell asleep and started falling towards him.  He shifted slightly in her direction and her head softly hit his shoulder. 

Looking down at her, he tried his best not to move and let her sleep.  He forced himself to focus on the drama and not the girl beside him.  Yep, this is working great. . .  Not a problem. . . He took a deep breath.  Big mistake.

She’d washed with his soap and shampoo and smelled just like him.  The sight of her wearing his clothes was unbearable enough, but now he was afraid his control was slipping.  He tapped his fingers on his leg, searching for a solution. 

Baekhyun carefully moved one arm behind her and with the other under her legs, lifted her into his arms.  He walked slowly towards his room, trying not to wake her up.  Nudging the door open further with his foot, he gently placed Minji on the bed.

“Sweet dreams,” Baekhyun whispered and leaned in close.  Unable to resist, he gently pressed his lips to hers.  She sighed in her sleep and it was almost his undoing.  He pulled the blanket up over the temptation that was Minji and left the room, while he could still call himself a gentleman.