Chapter 13

Behind the Mask

“Whoa,” Baekhyun said when he saw the breakfast Minji had made.  There were two place settings, one for him and one for Tao.  She’d made pancakes, eggs, and bacon.  Beside both plates, there was also a bowl of fresh strawberries. 

Tao walked in, hair still wet from his shower.  He grinned.  “Noona!  Thank you!” 

“Thank you for helping me yesterday.”  She bowed her head in gratitude.  “And thank you for letting me stay here.”

“This girl,”Baekhyun said and ruffled her hair.  “Aren’t you eating with us?”

Minji hid a smile.  “I already did.  You two enjoy, I’m going to go shower.”

She left the room and Baekhyun turned to the table to see Tao had already almost finished his portion of the food.  He sat down and joined him.  When he heard the shower come on, he asked what was most on his mind.

“What happened after we left last night?”

Tao took his last bite of pancake and leaned back, satisfied.  “Not much.  That Junhyung guy came.  He wanted to know who I was and who was with Minji.  I told him a short version of your story and he seemed satisfied for now, but not too happy she was staying with two guys.”

“And that Zico guy?”

“He came to when Junhyung punched him in the face.  It took him a while to remember what he had done, but when he did. . . He looked really upset with himself.  He kept telling Junhyung he deserved to die for doing that to her.  After that, they both left and I came home.”

Baekhyun finished his meal.  “I guess that’s it for now then.  Now we just keep an eye on her.”

Tao leaned forward and whispered.  “There was something weird though. . . When I came home, you weren’t sleeping on the couch.”

Baekhyun shrugged.  “She asked me to stay with her.”

Tao nodded knowingly, about to torment his friend more when Minji walked out of the bathroom.  She had dressed in a tank top and a pair of capri sweats that hung low on her hips.  Her hair was pulled into a ponytail.  She went into Baekhyun’s room and closed the door.

“How can sweats and a tank top look so y?” Tao asked.  He looked at Baekhyun who was giving him a warning look.  “I’m just saying. . . And besides, you never did call dibs.”

Baekhyun stood up and put his dishes in the sink.  “I’m going to go shower.”  He walked out of the room, then leaned his head back in.  “And, Tao?”

“Yeah?”

“Dibs!”

*               *               *

Baekhyun took the fastest shower in history, anxious to get on with the day.  If he had known what he’d see upon leaving the bathroom, he would have taken his time.  Minji was sitting on the couch trying desperately not to laugh.  The TV was on one of the music channels and IU’s music video for “Marshmallow” was playing.   Tao stood beside the TV, performing the dance for her.  This guy, he thought.  His aegyo knows no limits.

The video ended and Minji clapped enthusiastically.  “Bravo.”

Tao bowed.  “Hyung,” he said, spotting Baekhyun.  “Come join us!  We’re watching music videos and dancing.  Well, I’m dancing.”

Minji nodded.  “I’m enjoying it.  Tao has been demonstrating the moves very well.”

Just then the commercial break ended and Sistar’s song “Ma Boy” came on and Tao sat on the floor in front of the TV to watch.  Baekhyun watched as Minji became riveted to the video too, but for a different reason than Tao.  She nodded her head to the beat and he could tell by the slight movements she was probably unaware she was doing, that she wanted to dance it too. 

Someone knocked on the door and Baekhyun went to answer it.  “Baekhyun, come shopping with -” Pilsuk started to say, then paused when Minji turned towards the door.  “Unnie!”  Pilsuk shoved passed her brother and ran to Minji, throwing her arms around her.  “Unnie, why are you here?  And what are you wearing?”

“Slow down turbo,” Baekhyun said.

Pilsuk glared back at him.  “Why didn’t you tell me she was here?  I would have come over sooner.”  She turned back to Minji.  “Unnie, come shopping with me!  Please?”

“I thought I was going with you?” her brother asked. 

Pilsuk ignored him.  “Please?”

“Alright,” Minji said.  “But I have to work later, so we can’t be out too long.”

“Yay!”  Pilsuk literally jumped for joy.  “You can come too, Tao!  All of us should go.”

“I can’t today, shorty,” Tao said.  “I’ve got training.”

Pilsuk pouted.  “Fine, it will be the three of us then!”  She grabbed Minji’s hands and pulled her to a standing position.  “But you should change first.  We can go by your place on the way.”

“No need.  I have a change of clothes here.  Just give me a minute.” 

When she left the room, Pilsuk rounded on her brother.  “Baekhyun. . .” she said accusingly.  “Why does she have clothes to change into and why are they in your room?”

He squeezed her cheeks.  “It’s complicated, squirt.  I’ll explain later, ok?”

“Complicated?”  Understanding seemed to dawn in her eyes.  “You’re dating, aren’t you?!”  She grinned and clapped her hands excitedly.

“Shhh. . .  No we aren’t,” Baekhyun said.  He continued more quietly.  “But can you do me a favor today?”  He leaned in to whisper in her ear.

Grin still in place, Pilsuk nodded and gave a thumbs up.

*               *               *

Pilsuk was an exhausting shopper.  The two of them had been at the mall for almost three hours now.  Baekhyun had not been able to come along after all.  Surely, I’m not missing him.  She shook her head incredulously.  Nah.  It’s just the shopping overload.

“Unnie, try this on!” Pilsuk was holding up a strapless, high waisted, knee length dress.  The fabric was a deep purple color with a black sash around the middle and soft to the touch.  Minji knew she shouldn’t.  The price was probably outrageous. . .  But she had to try it on.

When she walked out of the dressing room, Pilsuk’s eyes popped out of her head.  “Oooooh!  You look amazing!”  She nodded.  “Yep.  You have to have this dress.”  She motioned to one of the workers and asked them to put it with her other purchases.

“Pilsuk, I really don’t need this dress.  I just tried it on for fun.”

“Shh!  This is my thank you gift to you.  If you turn it down, my feelings will be hurt beyond repair!”

Minji sighed and felt the fabric of the dress.  “Ok.  Just this once.”

“Yay!”  Pilsuk jumped up and grabbed her hand.  “Now we need shoes!”

*               *               *

Minji returned to the apartment feeling exhausted.  She took her purchases and the gift from Pilsuk into Baekhyun’s room.  On the bed was a small gift bag with a card.

Sorry I can’t walk you to work today.  Maybe this will make the time go faster until I can pick you up afterwards. –Baekhyun

P.S. No give-backs!  It’s yours!

Minji pulled out the tissue paper to reveal a small box.  She opened it and felt her heart speed up.  How can he possibly know me so well?  And how can I accept such an expensive gift?  She cradled the ipod in her hands, wavering between excitement and the need to give it back. His words, No give-backs, echoed in her head.  If I must, she thought, and put the gift into her bag, smiling as she got ready for work.