Chapter 5

Behind the Mask

I’ll be there in 5!- Oppa

Minji rolled her eyes as she read Baekhyun’s text again.  What am I doing?  She looked both ways down the street.  No sign of Baekhyun yet.  She started to walk away.  Not two steps and she heard her name being shouted behind her.

“Minji!” the female voice shouted as it got out of the cab.  Pilsuk came running and threw her arms around her waist.  “Unnie!  I’m so happy to see you!”

Minji awkwardly patted her head, unused to this kind of affection.  “Hello, Pilsuk.”

“I don’t suppose I get a hug?” Baekhyun asked, seeming to have appeared out of nowhere.  Pilsuk looked at him and rolled her eyes. 

“Seriously?” Pilsuk asked.  “I hugged you before we left, but ok!  Whatever my big brother wants!”  She released her hold on Minji and wrapped herself around Baekhyun.

Baekhyun laughed at his sister’s misinterpretation.  “Thanks, squirt.”  There was a loud rumble and Minji put her hands over her stomach, obviously embarrassed.  Baekhyun smile and leaned down to whisper in Pilsuk’s ear.  She grinned, spun around and grabbed both of Minji’s hands in hers, dragging her towards the waiting cab.

“Come on, Unnie!”

“Omo!  Where are we going?”

“To eat, silly!”

After a short drive, they arrived at a cute little outdoor café.  After the waitress took their order, Minji observed the pair of siblings she’d somehow become involved with.  Pilsuk sat next to Baekhyun, her arm hooked through his.  It was cute, but somehow it seemed like odd behavior for a sixteen year old girl.  She brushed the thought aside and took a sip of water.

“Unnie, do you have a boyfriend?”

The water sputtered out of Minji’s mouth and across the table.  She blushed and Baekhyun wiped water off his face, trying to contain his amusement.

“Ahem.” Minji cleared .  “Sorry.  I’m so sorry.  Your question just caught me off guard.”

“It’s ok,” Pilsuk said, releasing her grip on her brother and eagerly leaning across the table.  “Sooooo?”  She wiggled her eyebrows.

 “No, I don’t.”

“Hooray!  You have to date my brother then!  And when you get married, we’ll be sisters for real!”

Was this girl even sane?  Minji eyed her curiously.

“Don’t mind the squirt, here.  Her fourteen year old brain can’t let go of an idea once it gets in her head.  She’s been harping on this all last night and this morning.”

“Fourteen?”  While that explains her brother fixation. 

“Just barely.”  Pilsuk shot her an adoring look.  “Unnie!  I want to know everything about you!  Where do you shop?  What’s your favorite food?  Can I go shopping with you?”

“Slow down, squirt.”  Baekhyun urged.  “One question at a time.  We don’t want to scare her off.”

Pilsuk took a deep breath.  “Ok.  If I only get one question, I better make it important.”  She tapped her chin thoughtfully.  “Hmm. . . Oh!  I know!  Who is your favorite K-Pop group?”

Minji once again looked embarrassed.  She shrugged.  “I don’t know.  I don’t have a lot of time to listen to music.”

“Really?  Lend me your mp3 player and I’ll load some music onto it for you.”

Baekhyun watched as Minji tucked her hair behind her ear.  She gave an awkward smile.  “I don’t have one.”

Pilsuk’s jaw gaped open.  She looked to her brother, then back at Minji.  She closed , then popped her lips, once again thinking.  An idea occurred to her.  “Ok then!  One question to redeem yourself!  Do you know,” she paused dramatically, “who Super Junior is?”

Minji slowly leaned forward, mimicking Pilsuk’s dramatic pose.  “Yes.”

“Oh thank heavens, Unnie!  Now I have something to work with!”  She clapped her hands in delight.  “Oh!  Our food is here!”

*               *               *

Even as she ate, Pilsuk couldn’t stop jabbering on.  Baekhyun snuck a glance at Minji who was politely nodding but seemed to have zoned out a bit.  Her hair kept falling into her eyes and after a while she stopped brushing it out of the way.  His hand twitched, wanting to reach across the table and do it for her.  What is wrong with me?  Since when have I been this fascinated with a girl?

He snuck another look at his sister’s savior.  Is it just because she saved Pilsuk?  The need to find out, and to get his sister to stop talking, was too strong.  Baekhyun pulled out his phone and quickly sent a text, completely unnoticed, and waited.

Mr. Simple started playing and Pilsuk immediately stopped talking to pull out her phone.  “Oh!”  The song stopped as she flipped her phone open.  “It’s my friend, Eunhee.”  She blushed and put her hand to her cheek.  She sent Minji a look filled with sadness and hidden excitement.  “Unnie, I think I have to go.  Will you forgive me if I leave you alone with my brother?”

“Go ahead,” she told Pilsuk, slightly confused.  “I’ll see you another time.”

Again she received a tight hug from the young girl.  Pilsuk turned and pointed a finger at her brother.

“You better take good care of her!”

“Yes, Princess.  I will.”  He bowed theatrically.   His sister’s phone went off again and she quickly read the text. 

“Omo, I’ve got to go!  See you later,” she shouted over her shoulder, waving goodbye.

“I realize I probably shouldn’t ask this, but why was your sister blushing?”

Beakhyun laughed, leaning back in his seat.  “Because she likes Eunhee’s brother, my friend Luhan.”

Understanding dawned.  “Oh, I see.  But why do you look so satisfied.”

“No reason.”  His mouth quirked up.  “Looks like it’s just the two of us now.  So what would you like to do with your Oppa today?”

Minji raised her eyebrows.  Was he actually flirting with her?  Her heart beat a little faster.