Chapter One

Behind the Mask

                “And make sure you don’t leave streaks.”

                “Yes, sir.”  Minji said, bowing to her new boss.  “Have a good evening.”

                The door clicked shut and Minji raised her head.  She walked closer to the wall of mirrors, examining her reflection.  No wonder her new boss was reconsidering his decision to hire her.  She’d taken such care to look presentable today and she already looked frightful.

                If only I hadn’t stopped, she thought, remembering what had happened a mere hour ago. 

                                                                  *                                               *                                            *

                She’d left her apartment in plenty of time to make it to work.  Strolling at a leisurely pace down the street, hands in her pockets, she’d glanced at the shops along the way.  Sweet smells wafted from a bakery, tempting her to stop, but still she’d pressed on.  Another had cute spring dresses displayed in the window.  Still she walked.  Work first. . .

                That’s when she heard it.

                “Please, no!  Don’t”

                Curious, Minji glanced down the alley.  Two boys stood on either side of a petite girl, about 16 from the looks of her.  One, a brunette, stood behind holding the girls hands behind her back.  The other, a blond, looked to be the leader of the pair.   He stood in front of the girl and chuckled.

                “Shh, sweetheart,” he said, and reached out to touch her.

                “Hey!” Minji said, casually walking up.  His hand paused in mid reach.  “Why don’t you boys let her go and we can play. . .”  A slow smile curved her lips.

                The blond dropped his hand and turned to face Minji.  He looked her up and down, his eyes taking their time and considering.  He his lips.

                “So. . . Is that a yes?” she asked, walking forward and reaching up to grab his tie and pull him closer.

                “Let her go.”  Within seconds the girl was free and started to run out of the alley.  She paused behind the blond, looking at Minji with worry in her eyes.

                “Go,” Minji said.  “The grown-ups need some time alone.”  The girl nodded and ran without looking back again.

                “So, what are we going to do with you, beauty?” the blond asked.

                Still holding his tie, she pulled him even closer and whispered in his ear.  “Oh, I have something in mind.”  Minji leaned back and smiled coyly. 

The blonde grinned as her hands moved to his shoulders.  The smile soon faded into a groan as her knee connected with his groin and he fell to the ground.  She crouched low and spun around, sweeping her leg out.  The brunette collapsed, and she stood, dusting off her hands.

“I’m letting you off with a warning today, boys.  Don’t let me catch you at this again.”

The blonde was on his knees.  “Who do you think you are?  I’ll get you for this.”

                “Will you now?  You may want to reconsider that plan.”

                “Wait,” the brunette said, and she turned towards him.  “Oh my. . . Mi-Minji?”  She raised an eyebrow.  “Bro, let’s just get out of here.”

                “Who is she?” asked the blonde.

                “Just get up and let’s go.”  Soon the boys had run out of the alley and Minji was alone.  She blew out her breath in a huff, her bangs lifting.  Hands on hips, she turned to leave.  As she reached the end of the alley the girl from earlier came running up with a guy.

                “Are you ok?  I just saw those boys scrambling away.  One was limping.”

                “I’m fine.  Nothing to worry about.”

                “Are you sure you’re ok?” the guy said, and she turned toward him, ready to tell him to mind his business.  What she saw stopped her.  He was taller than her with dark brown hair and kind eyes.  Kind eyes filled with genuine concern.

                “Yeah. . . I, I’ve got to get going.”  Minji turned to leave and stopped when a hand encircled her wrist.

                “Thank you so much!” The girl was on her knees.  “Really!”

                Minji pulled her hand away.  “Get up,” she said self-consciously.

                She stood and bowed.  “I’m Pilsuk.  This is my brother Baekhyun.  I found him and came back as soon as I could.  If only we’d gotten here sooner.”

                “Yeah, well, it’s – oh crap!” Minji said looking at her watch.  “I’ve got to go!”  And with that she took off running, not looking back.

                                                                   *                                                      *                                                    *

                Now examining her reflection, she sighed.  Her skirt was twisted, the top buttons of her blouse were undone, and her hair was coming out of its ponytail.

                Yep, just my luck, Minji thought.  My boss had to see me like this, looking like a hooligan.  She refused to think about the boy from earlier.  It’s not like she would see him again anyways. . .