Hello, New Kwangmin

An Ex-Gangster And a Cute Geek

------

“Will they notice me?” Kwangmin wondered as he walked beside you, heading to the school. You eyed him carefully from top to bottom.

His hair was straightened and somehow a bit darker than the other day. Overall, he looked fine today. His glasses were no longer there.

“How should I know?” you replied, shoving both of your hands into your blazer’s pockets.

“You were the one who changed me yet you don’t know?” He let out a scoff, briskly walking ahead of you.

“Geez, it’s Taehyun’s work. If you have a complaint, go meet him,” you said in irritation. Your admiration towards his look was no longer there.

Truthfully, you are bad at complimenting people. You just didn’t know what to say to them. They already look good so what’s the deal?

Kwangmin’s voice snapped you out of your thoughts, announcing that you’ve already arrived at the school.

You couldn’t help but let out a sigh, “I hate school. Can’t I just skip today?”

“No, you can’t or else you’ll be left out,” he stated, heading to the entrance.

“And there goes the geek. No, scratch that; nerd,” you muttered flatly.

By the time you reached your locker, you could feel pairs of eyes following you.

Obliviously, you smacked your locker right after collecting all of your stuffs and went straight along the school corridor. Girls lingering at the corridor were sharing their juicy gossips.

If it weren’t for the mention of Kwangmin’s name, you’d have successfully arrived at your class right now.

“Hey, hey! Did you see a hottie at the hallway?”

“What? What hottie? Transfer student?”

“I guess so but who cares! I’m gonna talk to him!”

“Guys! It’s actually the geek, Kwangmin!”

“Oh my god, seriously?!”

A low and soft chuckle slipped out of your lips. Right after that, you proceeded to the classroom as the girls rambled on and on.

------

You were practically fond of the rooftop now since most of your time, you’d spend it on the rooftop; lunch time, skipping classes, free times and all.

You sighed contentedly as cool breeze brushed your skin. How you wished you could spend your whole time here. Absolutely no noise, no annoying things or per—

“Hey! What happened to everyone?!” The door burst open as a deep voice entered your ears.

Groaning in annoyance, you rubbed your temple and got up from your ‘almost’ peaceful nap.

Instantly, a messy-looking Kwangmin filled in your eyesight, “What?”

“Those—guys—ha…” he panted, placing his hand on his chest, “—they were—abusing me! Look!” he pointed to his appearance.

His hair was messy and his uniform was disheveled, slightly torn. You stared right at him, “That’s what popular people feel.”

“Yeah but I didn’t ask for this!” he heaved an exasperated sigh, ruffling his already tousled hair.

“You like the girl, you change into a pretty boy, people want you and you have to bear with it,” you shrugged, simply stating the fact, amidst of that standing up.

You headed to the doorframe and gave him a straight look, “Now if you’ll excuse me, I don’t feel like staying here anymore. I’m off.”

“What about school?” he questioned.

You turned around, giving him a smirk, “You know what to tell the teacher.”

“Where are you going?” he interrogated yet again.

“Somewhere.”

With that, you dissipated out of his sight.

------

Walking along the deserted street, you glanced to your right and left as your eyes searched for a compatible place to relax.

After a few fruitless minutes, you crouched down with a sigh.

The street was quite yet peaceful until a loud growl shrouded the empty place. You patted your empty stomach with a groan, “Now I‘m hungry—”

At the corner of your eyes, you spotted a small diner.

Your head whipped up, immediately rising up. Not wanting to waste another second, you dashed toward the diner.

Upon entering the small shop, the aroma of something being cooked hit your nose as well as your growling tummy.

You surveyed the place. Even though it was practically small, it still looked inviting.

Concurrently, an elderly woman came out of the door behind the counter.

You met her eyes as a smile automatically crept upon her lips. You smiled back right away.

“Hello there, young lady. Have a seat,” she gestured her hand softly as you uncertainly bowed and settled down on the floor mat.

“What’d you like to eat?” she asked, patiently waiting for your reply. You scratched your head sheepishly, “Err…what’s on the menu?”

Right after hearing your answer, a melodious laugh escaped her lips, “Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot about that. How about I suggest you something?”

“Oh, okay then,” you grinned. “Wait here. I’ll prepare you some ddeokbokki,” she beamed and went back inside, which you assumed, to be the kitchen.

You killed your time by observing the interior design of the small cozy place and after a few moments, the lady came back with a plate of delicious-looking ddeokbokki. Your eyes immediately sparkled as you admired the food.

She laughed lightly and patted your shoulder, “Have a bite.”

You nodded eagerly, hand reaching for the chopsticks beside the plate, “Thank you for the meal!”

“Silly girl, you paid for the food. Now, eat as much as you like,” she said as you started wolfing down the food.

You didn’t realize that throughout the time, you managed to get close to the old lady. You even spent half of your day there.

In the midst of talking with her, the door suddenly opened.

Your head snapped up, eyes meeting six figures stepping inside the shop.

You blinked innocently as you stuffed another rice cake into your mouth, examining the newcomers. The old lady stood up, smiling warmly as she welcomed her customers.

You weren’t aware that one of them was looking at you with recognition displaying in his eyes.

“Hey! You’re the smoothie girl!” he exclaimed as you turned around, facing him with a clueless look.

It took you a moment to recall the scene on last Saturday.

“Oh,” your eyes widened, “You’re that…” you ducked down, eyebrows furrowing together, “…Joe guy!”

He blinked few times before laughing out loud as well as his friends. “No, no, it’s L.Joe actually,” he grinned, approaching you.

“Halmeoni, I want the usual please,” he told the lady before nearing you.

He sat down next to you and smirked, “We meet again. It’s a fate, don’t you think?” “I guess…” you shrugged simply.

“So, we still have a deal, right? How about I take you to some place tomorrow?” he offered, grinning.

“Tomorrow?” finally, you looked at him. “Mmhm,” he nodded.

You took your time contemplating about it before agreeing, “Sure.”

“Wow, that was easy? I thought you’re the type that plays hard-to-get,” he said in surprise.

“It’s a drag. I’m too lazy to play so I’ll just agree. It’s better that way,” you shrugged for the second time.

“So easy-going, huh?” he commented, smiling charmingly. “Guess I am,” you said, “…guess I am.”

“So…” he began but halted to a stop when you suddenly stood up.

“Oh damn, it’s already this late? I gotta go run an errand,” you murmured to yourself before looking down at him, “Hey, I gotta go so I’ll see ya later.”

“Oh, okay cool,” he nodded casually and watched you exit the diner.

A smile unknowingly reached his lips *She’s seriously one different girl and I kinda like that.*

“Hey, L.Joe! What’cha doing there? C’mere!” his friend yelled, beckoning him to join them.

“Alright, alright,” he obliged, the smile still attaching on his lips.

“Yah, yah. What’s with that smile? Who’s the girl?” one of them reprimanded as L.Joe ignored him, still in his daze.

The boy watched his friend smile for no reason and whispered to his other friend who sat beside him.

“I swear he became weird right after talking to the chick.”

------