The Test (Part 1)

Impossible Love

I walked down the street towards the Ninth Heaven Cafe with Suzy and Jiyoon (who were there to encourage me and eat some delicious food-she LOVES food!), who were saying stuff like, it'll be alright, you'll pass, and it's really not that hard.

When I reached there, the manager, Mrs. Heather, was waiting for me.

"Okay, Jieun! Are you ready?" she asked me cheerfully. I gulped down my nervousness and nodded.

"So, the test is really easy. You just have to handle 5 customers on your own-seat them, get their orders, serve them, and give them their bill, cash it up at the cashier place, and viola! One customer down. Got it?" I wordlessly nodded.

"Come one, I'll give you an apron and let's get to work!" She led me to a back door-ish place, and gave me a typical maid outfit. When she saw my expression, she laughed and said, "Don't worry. It's temporary-the real outfit our staff has to wear is less fancier than this. It's just an apron and a head band, really, if you get accepted. We just like to scare our new trainees a bit. Our customers love it!"

I nodded weakly. My third time nodding, haha.

I changed into the outfit, looking like this:

 

I came out, and Mrs. Heather said, "You look cute in that! Maybe we'll have you wear it if you become a staff!" At my horrified expression, she laughed and patted my arm reassuringly. "Kidding. Jieun-ah, your test starts... now!" I nodded for the fourth time, and took a deep breath. Jiyoon and Suzy gave me a silent 'hwaiting!' and a fist pump.

She first gave me a few tips of what to do and what to say, etc. etc., which I took note of in my head.

After that, I went outside the 'staff only' place and waited awkwardly for the first customer. Sadly, it wasn't Jiyoon, because Mrs. Heather knew she was a friend of mine and everything. Then, as I was nervously twisting a corner of my apron-thing-a-majiggy, the bell on the door tinkled-which meant the door had opened.

I looked and sure enough-a customer waiting to be seated. I recognized her from Exercise class-her name was Gaeun, I think. I took a deep breath-here it goes!

"Hello, miss. Are you alone today?" She nodded at me, so I said, "Please follow me." I then led her to a table for one and handed her a menu. "When you are ready to order, please call me-Jieun." She nodded, smiling, which was a great relief for me.

"I see you are either taking the test or a trainee," she said amusingly. I nodded (wow, that must've been like, the fifth time?), smiling sheepishly. She laughed and picked up the menu-the cue for me to go.

I went back to my spot and tried to look busy (which I wasn't) by going this way and that around the counter while she was looking over the menu. Then, the bell again-another customer.

I went to the door, and Jihyun-unnie was there-remember, Jiyoon's friend?-which was another great relief.

"Hello, customer. Please follow me to your seat. How many?" I asked politely.

"Oh, just me," she replied, while smiling at me. "You taking the test?"

I sighed. "Does everyone know that?" Laughing, she nodded. I took her to another table with one chair, handed her a menu, and said, "When you are ready to order, please call me-my name is Jieun." She smiled her thanks and leafed through the menu.

Meanwhile, Gaeun called me and I hurried to her table. "Are you ready to order, miss?"

"No," Gaeun said. "I just wanted to ask you-this Special Spring Drink?" She pointed to something written in the menu. "It says, 'available for a short amount of time only.' When does that time end?"

Of course, I was speechless, because I didn't know. So I just stared at her, opening my mouth and closing it like a fish.

My customer laughed. "Just kidding, Jieun-shi. I love to trip up every newbie and test-takers about these 'special time only's.'" I smiled in relief.

"So... ready to order?" I asked again. This time, she nodded. I took out my pad and pencil-so tiny!-and prepared to write down what ever she said.

"I'd like a Chocolate Mini Croissant, Strawberry Bubble Tea, Peacan Tropical Treat, and a Double-Take Peach Yogurt," she said. She said it really fast, like rapping (I heard she was good at that), which confused me.

"Um, Chocolate Mini Sun, Strawberry Tea, Pea Trop Tree, Double Tick Peach Grit?" I asked.

Gaeun-shi laughed again. "Sorry." She repeated her order slowlier, which really helped. I wrote it all down and remembered to write down the table number before thanking her and leaving with the menu.

Right then, another customer came in, so I quickly clipped the order onto the kitchen line thing, and went to the door. This time it was an ahjussi and ahjumma I didn't know.

"Hello there. Only the two of you?" I asked.

"No, there are four more coming," the ahjumma said, while smiling at my outfit. I smiled weakly, and said, "This way, please." I led them to a table for six, left menus, and went to Jihyun-unnie, who was waiting for me.

"Finally," she teased. "I was waiting forever!" I laughed, and took her order (American Expresso), which I clipped to the kitchen line. Then, the other four ahjumma and ahjussi's friends came in, and I led them to their seats, and gave them menus, went through the whole routine.

Then, Gaeun-shi's order was ready, so I went and got it. It was heavy to hold (four stuff), and I almost spilled it all. I almost reached her table when the customer bell rang again, and the table of six called for me. Then, behind me, I heard Mrs. Heather's son ringing the signal that Jihyun-unnie's order was ready. GAH!!!

 

A/N: Sorry about that. I tried to make it as hectic as possible, but I don't think it worked really well, and I cut it into multiple parts. :( Anyways, two short chapters, but double update, so... ACCOMPLISHMENT!!! I've been wanting to double update forever! And I felt super sorry, so here's my 'very sorry' card (?). 

As always, thanks for reading, hope you like it, subscribe and comment, and read on! ;)

 

Preview

I quickly set down the order for Gaeun-shi, which almost made the croissant fall out of it's mini plate and the treat thingy to break. I yelped, and as fast as I can without spilling anything, I set her order out on her table.

As I was doing that, I heard another customer coming in. Wow, what a day!

Then, rushedly, I said, "Your order is here, Gaeun-shi." She looked up from her magazine, saying, "Thanks."

Without anytime to make a conversation with her, I left with a pained smile and went to the new customer.

The worst customers ever were here-Hyoyeon and her arm(s), and the Mr. Yoseob-wanter. Ha! The very luck I have.