Fall Showcase News

Impossible Love

"Lalalalalalalalala," the class sung in warm up. We scaled up and down for about 15 more minutes.

"Okay, good job, class. Especially Suzy." At Yoseob-oppa's compliment, Suzy lit up like a Christmas tree.

After a few more practices and lectures, he called out that we were done. "But! Suzy, please stay." I looked inquiringly at Suzy, who in turn turned to me with wide eyes.

I quickly made my way to her and whispered, "What is it?"

"I don't know," she replied. "Did I do something wrong?"

"Or is he going to confess his feelings?" I teased. Suzy hit me with a blush, making me laugh.

"Stop it, Jieun," she complained. "Why do you and Jiyoon love teasing me?" I chuckled at her cuteness, and pinched her cheek.

"Because you look like a child when you blush!"

She groaned, and then giggled with me.

But despite all of that fun I just had, I had this weird feeling inside me. What is this? I shrugged it off, however, since it was weird and felt negative.

I waited outside while they talked, and I saw a nervous Suzy smiling wider and wider, and finally hugging Yoseob-oppa to get a surprised laugh out of him. Again, I felt this twinge inside when I saw this, but again, I ignored it.

I greeted the blithe Suzy outside with a confused look, and she replied with a big squeal.

"Guess who got a solo coming in the Fall Showcase this year?" my best friend sang.

I squealed with her, and we hugged while jumping up and down. And all the way to the cafeteria, we continuously squealed and was happy. Then I saw the lunch menu.

"Spaghetti Bolognese, coming right up!" I cheered. Suzy laughed at my childish antics, and we both got two heapfuls of the best lunch in the whole, wide world.

"Yo, Jiyoon! Early today, eh?" I was getting into my hyper mode, and nothing was going to stop it.

"Yup! Hyper today, eh?"

I nodded in reply, and we chatted and laughed our way through lunch time. Suzy and I told Jiyoonie about Suzy's solo, and in turn Jiyoon announced that she was part of a breakdance group for the concert as well. Even though I felt a bit untalented, I still cheered them on.

After lunch was my third class, Dance, and I got a secret thrill at the thought of seeing Mr. Taeyang. Right away, I felt guilty again as I remember G.Na Ssem.

"I must show no sign," I told myself. "It will be a secret forever until the day I die!"

And so it was that I avoided Mr. Taeyang the whole dance class. If I felt I was doing the wrong thing and saw Mr. Taeyang coming towards me, I would quickly ask a senior next to me for help, and he'd just pass. Fortunately, he barely came close to me due to this student who was having trouble with a specific dance move, so I had an easier time.

I went through the rest of my schedule without any trouble, but during Unknown I was called away along with a couple of other students to the principal of the school.

There were five other students, and we were all quiet with an air of nervousness hanging. When we reached the principal's office, I had already thought of several things I might have done wrong and scenarios in which I was cut off or suspended. I had no doubt the others had done the same.

The principal was waiting for us with a grim face. Which made us all even more nervous.

He finally spoke. "Lee Jieun, Kim Hyojung, Park Bom, Park Sunyoung, Heo Gayoon, Lee Yejin." At each name, one person looked up or flinched, reacted in some way. "I called you all here to decide on something important."

The six of us exchanged confused glances, but did not speak.

"The Fall Showcase is near," he announced, seemingly random. "But we are missing the most focused stage, the most special one."

At his words, we all caught our breaths. I, for one, was shocked. I felt as if my body was frozen-- was he indicating what we thought he was? That we were candidates of the most special stage of the Fall Showcase?

I glanced around, and I saw the same mixture of hope, confusion, and shock I was sure was implanted in my eyes.

As if to confirm our guesses, the prinicipal smiled. "You are all being considered to become the special stage."

Deadly silence.

No one moved, and if a pin dropped, it would seriously be as loud as a bullet.

"Of course, you won't be alone. It will be a duet," he continued, like he had not just announced the most shocking thing for me in the world. Even if I had thought of it, maybe even hoped, it was still big news. "We will be watching all six of you, as the best female singers in your grade. The six boys in consideration will also be watched and a careful selection will be made."

"However, this choosing will be done survival-type, and your first 'mission' is today, after dinner. I expect all those in here to meet at the auditorium at seven. You will all prepare one song each. I know the MC Project is going on and all of you will be busy, but that is precisely why we chose today and this time to tell you this. The requirements for the song is written on these papers" he distributed papers to us "and you will meet the boys there as well. Understood?"

All the girls moved their head up and down mutely. A blank look was shown on each of our faces.

"Now, that is all. Go on."

We all filed out like robots, not percieving anything as we still absorbed this sudden news. I came to in about five minutes of mindless wandering when the bell rang and people rushed out from Unknown classes. I pondered my choices at the moment, then decided to go to my room. Jiyoon and Suzy was texted to, with 'emergency meeting' as my message.

I opened up the folded 'requirements' paper and started reading, when knocking was heard. Jiyoon and Suzy was looking concerned as they saw my dazed face, and we all sat down on my bed.

"Explain, girl," Jiyoon ordered. She still looked worried, however.

As fast as I can, I explained, and my best friends encouraged me and congratulated my being considered.

"I did feel it was weird that I got a solo and you didn't, when you're the best singer in our class," Suzy teased.

"Tell that to Hyojung-unnie," I scoffed absentmindedly.

Suzy thought for a while, then nodded. "True. But you're still one of the best."

"Yeah," Jiyoon seconded.

I smiled at her, saying, "You're not even in our class."

"But I did hear you sing, and that counts," she argued.

I was about to answer, when Suzy shushed the both of us and told me to read aloud the requirements. And so I returned to the paper. I took a deep breath, and started.

 

 

A/N: Long time, no update... SORRY! I beg you, please do not kill this useless author! I was going to update it faster, I know. But, wow, how the time passed, I guess. Anyways. If you did't know, Hyojung is Hyorin and Yejin is Ailee in the group of six earlier. Sunyoung is Luna, as well. Just to be clear, the Fall Showcase is when the big producers come and watch (like Dream High) the groups perform, and it's a specially-picked-students-only kind of thing. On the other hand, the MC Project is a schoolwide, graded concert thing where everyone performs but only for the teachers and other students, not others outside. It's going to spreaded (?) into three weeks, with an hour of concert time each. So, yeah. Okay. I'll try update ASAP and fast next time, but it's not guaranteed. Bleh. And dear readers, even though I probably don't deserve it, comments help me speed up my updating. It's true! I'm not one for upvotes, because I totally undeserve it and I know this, but they're still appreciated. Just saying, you know? Hehe.

 

Preview:

"One: Must be longer than three minutes.

Two: Must have three verses, a chorus, and a bridge.

Three: Must have at least three notes that goes higher than F2 on the scale (the high F)

Four: No raps.

Five: No duets or triplets; only solos allowed.

Six: No dancing.

Seven: Cannot be a song about love in any way-- break up, crush, etc. also included.

Eight: Must be a ballad."