The Second Mission

Impossible Love

Another morning it was. I sighed. I skipped dinner to practice with the song given in the requirements sheet. Apparently, we were to choreograph a dance for the 1-minute long dance track provided. Since I was no good at popping, I only put one move in there, and a bit of ballet, and a bit of hip hop as well. In other words, I put my best dance moves into it, though even then it was not impressive at all. I was probably going to fail this. Ugh.

I showed my dance to Suzy, who was left speechless (in a bad sense), and she helped make my genre-skippings transition better. At least it looked cooler once that was done. Ugh. We went to get some early late-night snacks to fill up my empty stomach, then I returned to the dance studio.

Once again, I tried to make some awesomeness come out of this weird dance sequence. After an hour of useless dancing, I went to my favorite website in the world: Google.

After settling comfortably in the plush seat, I searched "how to choreograph a dance" to get endless results. My second favorite website popped up-- WikiHow. Oh, how I love WikiHow. Though some of the information was useless (like picking the best song and choosing the best genre for me, since I have no best genre), I did some of the tips it gave. I recorded myself flailing around and generally being a dork. I listened to the song on repeat for at least thirty minutes, recording myself listening and making awkward movements along with it.

I tried the squiggly line thing, too, putting exclaimation marks for the accents the song gave. I whipped out my video camera yet again to flail around some more, but this time taking care to make impactful moves for those accents.

In the end, I still used all my best dance moves, but it was less awkward. When I showed it to Suzy the next morning, she agreed it looked way much better. I improved the dance a bit more, following Mr. WikiHow's directions to the fullest by working my way up from footsteps to hand movements. Perhaps that gave it a much cleaner flailing, I have no idea, but it felt easier.

I made use of a heavy lunch, because I would be practicing all day (since the missions excused the participants, at least we had that) except for the light dinner I would eat later.

Too soon, it was 6:30 and I had to pick my best dancing outfit. Suzy (my savior!) helped me on this as well, as the fashionista I was proud of, like a mother. She deemed that all my clothes didn't fit the dance, and ended up letting me borrow a few of her clothes. I looked like this:

At 6:45, I hurried to the gym, reaching there just shy of 6:50. I arrived kind of panting, since the dorms are so painstakingly far from the huge gym. With so little students, I wondered for the nth time why the campus had to be so big.

The rest of the contestants were there as well. I actually felt late, and slightly out of place in the midst of the somber girls. I quietly sat at my chair, mentally going through my own dance moves.

I was so deep into my thoughts and concentrating that I almost didn't notice the judges coming in. I raised my head, expecting to see the familiar faces of G.Na and Mr. Taeyang. Just as I had suspected, they were there, wearing much different clothes than their usual sweatpants-and-shirt dress.

Like Yoseob-oppa, they looked quite serious and poker-faced. So were the rest of the judges-- I dimly recognized a few faces beside my own dance teachers; I knew a teacher from Jiyoon's Special Dance class, whenever Suzy and I went to pick her up to eat lunch or dinner.

That very Special Dance teacher played our main MC for the night. He said grimly, "We will go in order of the rankings from the last mission, first place to last place." He checked his paper briefly. "Kim Hyojung, you are up first."

With a dazzling smile, she confidently and gracefully walked up the stage. With every step she took, my heart fell a notch. Her confidence suggested that she was sure of her dance moves, sure that she would win; and that meant she had some very good dance moves in place.

'No,' I told myself. 'Have confidence. Suzy told me that confidence is the most important factor.' I set my face and composure straight, watching the talented unnie dance and silently wishing to be like her.

When she came down and the teacher called my name, I gave her a thumbs-up as I stood up. As I walked up the stage as well, I focused my mind and pretended I was like Hyojung-unnie: cool, confident, and dazzlingly talented. So when the music started, I wasn't me again. I mean, I guess I was me, since my dance skills were still not even good, but I had a confident smile and aura that otherwise, I wouldn't have had.

The facade disappeared as soon as I clomped down the stairs, leading to my seat, though. My worries caught up with me, making my head swim in a slow, dizzy way. As before, I watched the rest of the performers in a dazed way. When we finished, I stood up and went out like the rest of them, but I felt so tired and sleepy.

Even the cool night air had no affect to me-- fatigue was nipping at my toes and fingers, threatening to make me fall dead asleep at the very moment. I had to concentrate to stay awake, after the excessive dancing and practicing.

I felt like tomorrow would be a repetition of yesterday-- coffee being the only reason I was alive.

I stumbled to my dorm room, trying to open it without unlocking it. My hands visibly shook (or was it just my vision?) as I took out my keys and fumbled around for the right one. It was as if an hour had passed since the mission had ended, but when I finally reached inside, the clock announced that it was only 8:00.

Thankful I had showered before the mission, I washed my face, feet, and hands first, then changed into my pajamas. The minute my slumped figure hit the bed, I was in deep slumber.

 

 

A/N: At least you waited shorter than last time? I have no excuse. This time, I actually had a lot of time to update (well, not actually a lot, but at least some time), but I spent all that time away either sleeping or watching Detective Conan. It's been a phase of mine. But anyways, hope you like this short update. Please comment, subscribe, or just continue to silently read. It's an awful story, I know, but I like writing it, so even if all of you unsubscribe and everything, I'd probably keep writing. Just so you know, however, your comments and subscribtions (?) are motivations for me. Especially subscribes, since I feel guilty for not updating to the readers. Heh. Okay that's all bye.

 

 

Preview

When I woke up, it was dark. And surprisingly, though my body ached, I wasn't as tired as I had thought I'd be. I guessed it was still dawn or so, since the window was not blasting me with light.

I didn't really think about checking the time until I accidentally moved my head in the clock's direction. Nine o'clock.

I smiled. It was only-- wait. NINE O'CLOCK?!