Song Making

Impossible Love

"So, Jieun, what song should we do together?" Yoseob-oppa asked from the other side of the phone. We're quite close now, thanks to the tutoring lessons.

"Oh, the duet? Um, let's see. I personally like SeRyunShiDae and Silver Junior's (A/N: Changing the names because the actual SNSD and SuJu are in the story as students) Seoul. But the chorus, I think, would be better if it was sung by more than two people, so never mind." We both fell silent for a while, then Yoseob-oppa spoke up.

"Hey, there's this song I once sang with your dance teacher, G.Na-noona. It's called What I Would Do If I Had a Lover. How about that?"

"Actually, I've heard of that song. Yeah, why not? I'm fine with it."

"Okay, then. Let's meet on Wednesday, 4:00. You good with that?"

"Sure. I have to go now. Bye!"

"Bye."

I hung up and stood from my side of the room to see a suspicious Suzy staring at me. I sat back down involuntarily, because I was surprised. "Oh, hi Suzy. What's up?"

"Were you talking to Yoseob-oppa?" Suzy said suspiciously.

"Um, yeah?" I replied.

"Why? Are you guys secretly dating? What were you talking about? How come I didn't know of your close relationship?"

"Whoa, Suzy. Calm down," I said, laughing. "Dating? Are you kidding me? He's my tutor. And we decided to do a duet together, that's all. My goodness, he's not yours yet. Be jealous when he is."

"Maybe I did overreact a little," she admitted. "Anyways, I'm glad you guys are friends. You can be my-uh, wing-girl? I don't know." We laughed and started to chat together, like before the project, before the bell rang and we had to go our separate ways to class. (Well, she stayed there and I went outside, more like.) But what she didn't know was that when she had said that I could be her wing-girl, I'd felt a slight pang. Of what, I had no idea and had no interest in, because my top priority right now was to successfully shove my way through the throngs of people around me.

After class, I went into my room because Suzy and Jiyoon was nowhere to be seen. Again. This MC Project must be keeping them. Ugh. I decided to try make a song, and this time, instead of staying in my room trying to become sad, I went to the recording studios. When I reached there, I saw Jiyoon's group whispering to each other.

"Hi, Jiyoon! Hi, unnies!" I greeted cheerfully, happy to see a familiar face.

They jumped, being surprised. Huh, I guess they were focusing on their project so much that they didn't hear me.

"Hello, Jieun," Gayoon unnie replied with a smile. The others followed suit and we exchanged small conversation.

"Where's Jiyoon?" Even though her group was here, Jiyoon apparently wasn't.

"She went to the bathroom," Jihyun-unnie said.

"I see. Well then, I have to go-"

"Guys!" a voice interrupted. "I got it! I-oh. Hi, Jieun!" Jiyoon said.

"Got back from the bathroom?" I asked as a sort of greeting.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. They told you?" she impishly grinned.

"Yup. Have fun with your group, Jiyoon. I'll go to the next studio to work on my song." Since I didn't want to bother them any longer, I quickly said my goodbyes and left. I went right next door and found it empty, so I sat down and started to think about what I wanted.

"Hmm. Song for Jiyoon. A ballad, maybe? Ballad=sad. Let's start with sad. Sad. Sad=rain, most of the time. Should it be a song about rain?" I mumbled as I doodled on the page in front of me. "Drops of rain. Downpour!" I drew a big, fat raindrop in the middle of the page. "Raindrops. Huh."

I moved on to the computer, where there was a bunch of presets that I could choose from. "If I did raindrops," I thought out loud. "Maybe... the plucking of string instruments? Hm. And that really cool sound... Where is it?"

After a few moments playing around on the computer, I then the keyboard next to the table. "Raindrop, raindrop, raindrop," I randomly sang. "Oh, my raindrop, walking in the rain, yeah yeah. Uh-huh, hmmm..."

While still humming tunes I made up on the spot, I went back to the paper. I stopped in the middle of humming, though, when I realized it sounded good. I ran back to the keyboard and tried to play it. I tentatively pressed a key, trying to match it with my hum, and found it. "Oh, raindrop," I tried out with the sound. It sounded better than I expected, actually. "Oh raindrop, oh raindrop," I replayed over my head.

I got a piece of sheet paper out and wrote out the notes and rhythm. "Oh raindrop, oh raindrop. Uh, bitbangul... Sarang... Jiyoon..." I half mumbled, half said my way through what now seemed like a chorus. "Yes!" I pumped my fist in the air and did this mini dance-hop thing, and turned back. "Let's see. Jiyoon wants to turn back.... Yeah, that's it... Keyboard, keyboard! I need you.... What is this note? Ugh...."

After 2 hours of working hard, I finally had the chorus and verses all set, but only the melody and the harmony. I still needed all that background stuff. I wiped my sweat with the back of my hand and patted my back. "Good job, Jieun," I said to myself. "You worked hard."

"On?"

I jumped back in surprise at the unexpected voice. "Oh, hi, Yoseob-oppa," I said, my heart beating fast. From shock, I guess.

"What did you work hard on?" he asked again.

"My composed song!" I answered brightly. "Want to listen to it?"

"Sure, why not? Let's see how my composing lessons resulted in." I rushed back to the computer and turned my track on. I sang along with it (since it was only the keyboard recorded), and looked at Yoseob-oppa expectantly.

"Not bad," he said finally. "First try, right?"

"Yup!" I glowed at his compliment.

"But you still need a background track. Thought of anything?"

"Well, since it's about raindrops, I've been thinking about string plucking."

"Good idea. Here, let me help you with that, since you got the basic melody and harmony down."

 

A/N: Not very long this time either. Sorry, but at least I updated faster! :) Anyways, I probably won't be able to update until about 2 weeks later. Tests are coming up, and I'm going to die... :( At least summer vacation is coming soon... Thanks to the commenters (miennn-shi, here's your update!), subscribers, even the silent readers. Have a nice day!

 

Preview

"Good idea. Here, let me help you with that, since you got the basic melody and harmony down." Yoseob-oppa came closer to the screen of the computer and reached around me for the mouse. (A/N: So he's basically half-hugging Jieun and niether of them know it. Hehe.) "Here's how you add another track. And did you download the sounds you need yet?"

"Nope."

"Okay then. Here, I know a good site." He had started to type the URL into the computer (A/N: And now he's 75% hugging her here) when the door opened.

"Jieun! I heard you were in here so-" Suzy stopped. "What in the world are you guys doing?!"