Alone

Impossible Love

After we got all our instructions on what to do, I sat dazedly on my bed. "Solo," I whispered to myself. I had never even thought of this as a possibility. I mean, seriously, a solo? I had expected to be in a group with someone else, like most were. But nope, I was a solo.

Impossible.

My voice wasn't extraordinary. It's just... my voice, you know?

I sighed, and told myself, This ain't the time to sulk, girl. Cheer up, chin up, and let's just focus on improving myself instead of making a great impression. Have some fun, you know? Yeah! I smiled, and bounced all the way to Jiyoon's room.

"Yo, Jiyoon! Open up!" I knocked. There was silence. "Jiyoon? You there?" Once again, no answer. I shrugged, thinking she was meeting with her teammates, and went to Suzy's room.

"Suzy? Ya there?" I asked at the doorway. Here, too, there was no answer or sound. That was the bad part of being a solo, I guess--you're all alone on this thing while everyone else is, like, with others.

I sighed, and dragged myself towards my own little room. I decided to try write my lyrics, get myself into the mood of breakup and sadness.

I tried to imagine myself breaking up with, um, I don't know. I never dated in my life, so I didn't know the broken-hearted-feeling of breaking up. I decided to watch some angst dramas and maybe make myself feel it in an inexperienced way (does that make sense?).

10 minutes later...

"That's... so... SAD!" I sobbed. "WHY? NO, you dense little man in that TV screen. She's not breaking up with you for real. She's crying too, for goodness sake! GAH! You.... Ignorant guy! You don't know anything and you're just torturing her more! STOP THIS!!!" After the drama ended, my face was all wet and my nose all red and stuffed. I turned back to the lyrics, but the words just didn't flow. Since it was late from the drama marathon, I decided to do it later and sleep already.

The next day, I woke up at 6 and was ready by 7:15. I walked to class alone, since it seemed like Jiyoon and Suzy were both not in their room. I didn't really wonder why, because they would be busy with the big MC Project. I just didn't really expect it to come so fast, you know?

When I reached Exercise class, everyone was in groups (probably their own teams), even Pilsuk and Jason and Samdong and Jinguk, whom I usually hung out with in this class. Two other girls I didn't really know, Baekhee and Hyemi, were also there, huddled together and whispering as well as laughing.

I sighed, and went to my seat and slumped there, trying to think of some lyrics for a song or something. Then class started and I didn't get to think anymore, because it's Exercise class and it's really hard.

After Exercise, I went to the cafeteria and found out that Suzy and Jiyoon were both somewhere else, with their group, so I sat alone and ate my food wearily. Then, somebody sat down in front of me with a thud.

"Hi, Jieun!" a cheerful voice said.

I looked up. "Mr.-I mean, Yoseob-oppa?"

"Why are you alone?"

"Hm? Oh, because my friends are busy with the project."

"What about you?"

"I'm a solo, apparently," I said sullenly.

"Oh." He became quiet for a while, then said, "Well, you know, teachers are also allowed to participate. You want to do a duet with me?"

"What? Teachers can participate?" I exclaimed. He nodded. "Why didn't I know?"

"Maybe you were zoning out or something, I don't really know. So do you want to?" I stared back at him blankly. "Duet with me?"

"Oh, that. Sure, why not? We just have to do a cover, right?"

"Yup. You're in my class next, right?"

"Yes."

"Let's go together then!" he said brightly. I laughed; he was always so bright. Then I remembered what the others had told me about Yoseob-oppa. He was a genius, or something, they had said, right?

"Hey, Yoseob-oppa?" I asked cautiously.

"Yes?"

"You know we're supposed to compose a song? Can you tutor me on how to make one? 'Cause, you know, everyone said that you're a genius in music and dance and everything else."

"Okay! When?" He said it without hesitation, which both surprised and pleased me.

"Whenever, I guess. Anytime you're free."

"Then I'll need your phone number, so that we can contact each other about the times," he replied with a mocking smooth grin, like he was using a pick-up line. I laughed, and saved my number into the phone quickly.

"Just text me. I'll save your number that way," I said.

"And Jieun," he said while walking down the hallways to his class. "here's your first lesson. Lesson Number One: composing is something you can't learn and achieve by studying and books. Composing comes from the soul, your raw feelings, not from the mind." After saying this very deep message, he gestured for me to sit down and began to start class. "Students, today we will not start with a warm-up. We will instead start by directly singing, and compare the difference..."

While he was teaching, I thought about what he had said. How could I bring up my raw feelings? Do I even have raw feelings? As I thought of his short but meaningful first lesson, I absentmindedly did what he said to do. I only came back to the present time and place when I heard my name being called.

"...rare people like Jieun. Jieun You should be proud of your voice; there is no difference when you warm up and when you don't. You have a naturally good voice!" I bowed in thanks and tried to focus.

 

A/N: Long time, no update.... sorry. Really. How long has it been? More than two months already, right? Well, sorry to say, but the next update is probably going to be in a month. There's a good reason--school. Those who go to school will know what I mean. :( Good luck to me, and see you later! And thanks for those who has subscribed, commented, etc.

 

Preview

"So, Jieun, what song should we do together?" Yoseob-oppa asked from the other side of the phone. We're quite close now, thanks to the tutoring lessons.

"Oh, the duet? Um, let's see. I personally like SeRyunShiDae and Silver Junior's (A/N: Changing the names because the actual SNSD and SuJu are in the story as students) Seoul. But the chorus, I think, would be better if it was sung by more than two people, so never mind." We both fell silent for a while, then Yoseob-oppa spoke up.

"Hey, there's this song I once sang with your dance teacher, G.Na-noona. It's called What I Would Do If I Had a Lover. How about that?"

"Actually, I've heard of that song. Yeah, why not? I'm fine with it."

"Okay, then. Let's meet on Wednesday, 4:00. You good with that?"

"Sure. I have to go now. Bye!"

"Bye."

I hung up and stood from my side of the room to see a suspicious Suzy staring at me.