Chapter 19 (Final)

I am Yonghwa's Tutor (NEW FINAL CHAPTER! COMPLETED EDITING)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"How are things there, Yong?" Seohyun asked after the video call successfuly connected.

"Well," Seohyun watched as Yonghwa's nose scrunched from merely thinking about their current situation in New York. "Mom and Dad did not exaggerate when they told me that things were getting sticky at work. I literally saw how their Study was piled with so many papers and reports from their employees regarding the current company issues."

"I see. And how are they?"

Yonghwa flashed her a wide smile. "Who are you talking about?"

"Them."

"Be specific, Hyun." Seohyun's cheeks pinked and Yonghwa couldn't help but laugh at his adorable girlfriend. "Come one, just say it. Don't be shy."

"Yong," Seohyun attempted to pout her lips and give him her best puppy dog eyes but Yonghwa shook his head. "Say it."

"... Vampire?"

For a moment neither of them spoke. Yonghwa was speechless at Seohyun's sudden Twilight reference and it took him a couple more seconds to groan. "Well, that was random. I can't believe you pulled a Twilight on me, Hyun!"

Seohyun giggled with a shrug of her shoulders. "It just came out."

"Jokes aside though," Yonghwas grin was back. "you still have a few words to say."

"Fine then." Seohyun surrendered. "I was asking about... Mom and Dad. Are they well?"

Yonghwa's grin went even wider. "You have to get used to calling them that, Hyun. And yes, they are fine. Business is sticky but they'll be ok."

"That's very good to hear." Seohyun smiled and later sighed. "Yeah, I know I should get used to it now but I can't help it, Yong."

"You called them that back in Seoul and when they call you, though."

"I know but sometimes it's just so... unbelievable. Sometimes, I can't believe that you're my boyfriend and that our parents support our relationship. Sometimes, it feels like we're in a movie or something and everything is surreal."

"We could be in some fan fiction for all we know and we're breaking the fourth wall right now." Yonghwa pointed out with a nod and later, a shrug. "Oh, well. I understand how you feel, Seohyun, and that's completely normal. Sometimes when I think back at the time we first met in school and everything else after that, it really does feel like we only met yesterday as well."

"I know, right?" Seohyun giggled. "Too many things really have happened to us since then."

"True." Yonghwa shuddered. "I don't miss those test questions, though. Your tests were savage."

"But your English improved because of my savage tests."

"True."

"Since we're on topic, do you want to practice your English now? Should we converse in English throughout the course of our video call?"

And that's how they ended up going back to their inside joke: Seohyun acting as a tutor and Yonghwa acting as the English tutee. They talked about a lot of things, general things, and Yonghwa accepted Seohyun's humble corrections with his pronunciations and sentence structures. However, since they were in different time zones, Seohyun zoned out on Yonghwa and fell asleep during their call.

This wasn't the first time this happened, but Yonghwa never got angry at her. Instead of being angry, Yonghwa always smile at the sight of his adorable girlfriend trying her very best to stay up late and keep up with him when their video calls go for more than two hours. Tonight was no different. Yonghwa smiled at Seohyun's sleeping form and traced her face on the laptop screen with his finger. "I'll be back before you know it, Hyun. That's a promise." 

 

* * * * *

Seohyun,

How are you? I'm sorry if I've been acting off lately. We're going through a lot here in New York and it's affecting me, too. Things aren't looking good here yet, we've got financial problems rising day by day and I feel like it's my duty to make Mom and Dad feel better when they get home. I took them out to classical concerts, dinners and parks. I took pictures of the places we went to and I will bring them when I get back to Seoul. I do not know the certainty of when I'll be back but please wait for me, I will fly back immediately when things will be stable here again. I have a lot of stories to tell you. Be safe, okay?

I love you,

Your Yong~~

* * * * *

My dear Yong,

I am so glad that you are spending so much time with Mom and Dad there. Words can't really describe how proud I am for you, for giving them another chance to get closer to you. Thank you for explaining why you were acting strangely off lately, too. I honestly felt like a human mess these days because I kept thinking and I kept asking myself where I went wrong and if the reason why you were getting distant was because of me, or if it's because of something else or the stress. Anyway, thank you for explaining; now I feel so relieved. Come back sooner and bring those pictures home!

Hmmm... I want to see them all so much and I would love to hear your stories but... you're the one that I want to see the most.

I miss you, Jung Yonghwa...

I love you more,

Your Seohyun~~~

* * * * *

 

Yonghwa's family's business problems thankfully lessened after a few months but the real challenge was bringing back their company to its original stability. A number of Yonghwa's vacations to Seoul were cancelled beacuse of last minute schedule changes and family business affairs but Seohyun never got angry at Yonghwa. They were both understanding of each others' feelings and although there were times of misunderstandings and quarrels, Yonghwa and Seohyun always made time to patch up through calls and texts.

At one time, Yonghwa was finally able to fly to Seoul for his long awaited two-week vacation.

Mr. Lee drove Seohyun to the airport since Onew was not around to drive her there anymore since he had long returned to Singapore for work. Seohyun spotted Yonghwa at Arrivals and immediately ran into his arms when he saw her running to him with a huge smile (and tears) on her face. They talked about a lot of things since then and even inside the car until they arrived at Seohyun's home and Mrs. Lee gave Yonghwa a big, warm hug.

Yonghwa and Seohyun spent a lot of time together. They went on a series of dates alone, with her parents and even with Yoona and Jinwoon who were still together (and still bickering). The Stupid, Yonghwa's band, reunited for a surprise performance at the cafe and Seohyun let the boys catch up the next day. Even Jungmo and Mi Rae met up with Yonghwa and Seohyun at a local cafe for a double date.

Time flew too fast for both Yonghwa and Seohyun's liking but they still made the best out of their short time together.

Soon, it was Yonghwa's time to fly back to New York.

Seohyun was there with him at the airport while her parents stayed at the parking lot outside to give them their own time before Yonghwa's flight. Yonghwa brushed away the tears that spilled down Seohyun's cheeks and gave her a long hug. Tears rolled down his cheeks too, but they were both smiling.

"Promise me that you'll call when you arrive?"

"Of course, Hyun." Yonghwa released Seohyun from the hug but not before placing a kiss on her forehead. Announcements were made through the intercom and Yonghwa's plane was ready for boarding. Seohyun gave his hands a little squeeze before taking a deep breath. "That's your flight, Yong."

"Yeah, but before I go," he opened his backpack and fished out a small, red velvet box. Upon seeing the item, Seohyun's eye brows furrowed and her heart skipped more than a few beats. She watched as Yonghwa closed his bag and placed it on the floor. "I have something for you."

Because Yonghwa was being vague with his words, Seohyun's heart skipped another few more beats. He couldn't possibly be proposing to me right now, right? She was close to panicking internally when Yonghwa opened the box and took out a silver ring. She only got to glance at it before her eyes met Yonghwa's but she saw that the ring has a small, sparkling stone. But I'm not yet ready for m--

As of reading her thoughts, Yonghwa smiled at her and cleared his throat. "I know we are still very young for marriage and everything else related to that, but I'm giving you this as a promise ring. This is to symbolize my promise that I will love you and cherish you wherever I am in the world. I promise that I will be a very good partner and that I will treasure you always in my heart, mind and soul."

Seohyun felt another batch of tears b her eyes upon hearing Yonghwa's sweet words.

"Distance will never be a hindrance for us, Seohyun, but it is a stepping stone in our relationship for us to both grow to become more mature individuals. This ring is yours just as how I am also yours, forever."

Seohyun watched as Yonghwa placed the ring on her finger for her and she admired its simplicity and elegance. Too filled with overlfowing emotions, Seohyun pulled Yonghwa in for a hug. "I am at a loss for words right now, Yong, but I really am touched. You don't know how much strength your words gave me just now so thank you very much. Oh, I love you so much, Jung Yonghwa."

"I love you more, Lee Seohyun."

They knew that Yonghwa was going to miss his flight if they lingered for too long so Seohyun watched as Yonghwa walked toward the boarding gate. When Yonghwa neared the queue, Seohyun called him from behind and surprised him with a peck on the lips and said, "See you later, Yong."

 

 

 

* * *

Two years later

* * *

 

Seohyun opened the door to her dorm room using her room key and smiled at the sight of the familiar blonde lying on the light pink bed by the wall. "Oh, hi, Jessica!" The blonde lay on her bed with her arms and legs spread as if she was pinned on a spinning wheel, waiting for the magician to throw his knives between her legs.

"I didn't know you're back in Seoul already. How was Japan?" asked Seohyun in English. They always conversed in English since it was very good practice for her as they were English Majors at Seoul National University.

Jessica only stared at the ceiling above, as if she was in a daze, but her lack of response was no surprise for Seohyun. They have been roommates for two years after all, and the unique qualities of the girl from LA were not new to her at all. Seohyun closed the door behind her and dropped her body on her own bed on the opposit side of the small room. "Your boyfriend won't believe that it's you lying down on your bed if he sees you like that, you know."

Finally aware of Seohyun's prescence, Jessica lifted her head and found Seohyun looking at her with a smile on her lips. "Oh. How long have you been there, Seohyun?"

The brunette chuckled. "I just arrived, Jess."

"Ah." Jessica dropped her head back onto the bed and sighed with a smile on her own lips. Seohyun couldn't see her roommate's eyes but she knew the blonde's eyes were sparkling at the thought of her latest trip to Japan. "Japan was beautiful, Seohyun! Tyler took me to a lot of places and we even went to all of the places Hyunjun and Seunghee went. You have seen IRIS, right?"

"Yes, I have." Seohyun nodded her head, remembering how hooked she was over the drama IRIS. "Tell me all of the details about your trip, Jess! I can't wait to hear everything."

Jessica turned her head to look at Seohyun with a smirk on her face. "Everything, Seohyun?"

"Hey!" Seohyun's face reddened at Jessica's suggestive tone and threw her a pillow. Jessica laughed at Seohyun's reaction and caught the pillow before it even landed on her face. "God, I missed teasing you, Seohyun."

Seohyun and Jessica stayed up all night chatting like high school girls with secret crushes and love notes.

 

A few months later, Seohyun found Jessica on her bed again when she came back to their room after her afternoon classes but this time, there was something on Jessica's hand. "Oh, my gosh, Jessica!"

The blonde raised a brow. "Yeah?"

"You're reading!"

It took a while for Jessica to process what Seohyun just said and she rolled her eyes. "Ha-ha, funny. I do study, Lee Seohyun."

"I was just kidding," Seohyun grinned. She only got to drop her shoulder bag onto her bed when Jessica closed the book she was reading and faced Seohyun. "So, how's everything with Yonghwa lately?"

Seohyun hesitated before she sat on her bed. A frown suddenly appeared on her face when she thought about the recent video calls with Yonghwa and her reaction had Jessica concerned. "What? What's wrong, Seohyun?"

"Well," Seohyun sighed. "To be honest, I really don't know what happening to us lately, Jess."

Jessica immediately jumped off her bed and sat on Seohyun's, facing her with worry written all over her face. "Talk."

"Maybe it's me? Or him?" Seohyun hunched her shoulders and Jessica frowned. She knew Seohyun for two years and she knew everything about this girl by heart and her hunching her shoulders over something means that her situation is far too heavy for her to carry. Seohyun never hunches her shoulders even when she faced difficult problems in University but this time, she did, over her and Yonghwa's relationship. Jessica said nothing but instead gave Seohyun's hands a little squeeze. Seohyun returned the gesture.

"You know how we always try our best to communicate regularly even though we're on different time zones, right? Well, I just can't help but notice how our calls are becoming shorter and the things we talk about are getting lesser by the day. He sometimes looks like he doesn't want to keep the conversation for too long! And there was even that one time when we had to literally think about what to talk to each other over the phone and ended up talking about a lot of random stuff before hanging up. Sometimes I even feel that our communication has become very robotic and that calls and texts were becoming routines for us. At one point I even thought that we were merely talking because we have to and not because we want to." Seohyun's eyes were filled with tears at this point and she covered her face with her hands. "Oh my God, Jess! I'm such a horrible person for even doubting our relationship!"

Jessica knew that it was her cue to react and take action. She wrapped Seohyun in her arms and kept her in her embrace while she allowed the girl to let out her emotions. "Go on, Seohyun. Just let all those tears out. It's okay."

Even though Seohyun was sobbing, she still kept talking about how horrible she was being and that she was becoming a very horrible girlfriend to think about such things. Jessica rubbed her friend's back and stayed silent until she calmed down.

"You really are being too hard on yourself, Seohyun." said Jessica with a chuckle. "You know, being someone who has been through the exact same thing you're going through right now makes me so happy because I get to tell you so many things I actually am confident about... considering how you always seem to be more mature than me most of the time."

Seohyun smiled at that.

"But what I'm really trying to tell you now, is that what you're going through and what you're currently feeling about your relationship with Yonghwa are completely normal. Being in a long distance relationship is not easy, we both know that, and being in such a relationship means that you must constantly face sticky situations head on but maturely at the same time. It's not easy but we have to, because if we don't, then the relationship will forever stay sticky until we would get tired and end up leaving it like that." Jessica paused. "In your case, please don't degrade yourself, Seohyun. The thoughts that are running through your head right now are thoughts which others think about, too. It's just up to us if we let those thoughts run our decisions and attitude towards our relationships."

"However, even though I'm telling you all this doesn't mean that you will immediately feel better. I still think that the best way to clear your thoughts from those negative stuff is through talking to Yonghwa. Tell him every little thing you told me just now so that he will understand you even better. Never keep things from him, especially your feelings, because couples in long distance relationships always learn about their other half's feelings through open communication. If you tell him your worries about your talks becoming report-like, then he will see your concern and act on it to help you up again."

Seohyun nodded her head but her voice came out softer than normal. "What if he gets mad at me because of what I'm currently feeling? What if he'd think that I'm giving up on our relationship?"

"Just talk to him, Seohyun." Jessica bit her bottom lip and couldn't respond for a few moments until a smile was on her lips again. "I'm sure he'll understand."

"But-"

"But one more thing, before I forget, is that you must always remember that the relationships work because two people constantly puts in effort. However, in long distance relationships, couples constantly puts in two times the effort a normal relationship puts in because of the lack of being physically there for each other." Jessica held Seohyun's shoulders and gave her friend an apologetic smile. "Forgive me for blurting

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter