S I X T H

𝚆𝚑𝚊𝚝’𝚜 𝚊 𝚛𝚘𝚖𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚒𝚌 𝚛𝚎𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚘𝚗𝚜𝚑𝚒𝚙?

"Two?"

 

"Scoops?"

 

"And cones."

 

Jaemin shook Donghyuck's hand and he formed a fist in the air. He silently prayed to heaven that everything'll work out the way he intended it to. 

 

The students were all making their way past the school gate, it was dismissal and the sun was visibly lowering behind the mountains far away. There they were, the two boys waiting for a quiet girl to step out. And that, she did.

 

"Donghyuck," Jaemin pulled him as he stepped forward, "let me remind you why she's gonna reject you."

 

Donghyuck was sick of hearing it because it had been the 4th time he was saying it to him. Then, he sighed and gestured for him to continue.

 

"She's got a past you haven't known and she's not the type of person who would give up her studies for a relationship."

 

"That's the 4th time I've heard about her past from you," he looked at the ground, "okay, her past and one cone, two scoops."

 

"If you win?"

 

"If either of us wins."

 

With that, Donghyuck went straight for Sehyun and stood in front of her. She widened her eyes but they immediately softened seeing that it was Donghyuck. He smiled.

 

"Can I walk you home?"

 

What had gotten into his mind, Sehyun didn't know. She was clueless and maybe, she thought, he was doing this because he knew the two of them were something.

 

"I'm sorry, what?"

 

He let out a laugh and grabbed Sehyun's wrist. The two lovers made their way out of the campus until Sehyun pulled her arm away. Donghyuck faced her and she stared at his hand.

 

"Not today, Donghyuck, I'm sorry."

 

She was sorry that they couldn't walk together but Donghyuck felt as if she was referring to something else. He felt that she wasn't just sorry for not walking home together. She faced the school building, walking back to it despite having no idea where she'd go or who she'd look for.

 

Renjun stood there in the building entrance, watching as Sehyun walked to his direction. He sighed. 

 

"Why does have to be her of all people?"

 

As she continued to walk down the cemented floor, she looked up and when she saw Renjun, she slightly bowed. She moved forward past Renjun and he extended his foot. Just as he planned, the flimsy girl tripped. 

 

Jaemin saw the whole thing from a distance, watching as Renjun walked on like nothing had happened. Nobody saw, not even Donghyuck for his eyes were focused on the floor. He sighed.

 

"Sehyun, love, are you okay?"

 

Jaemin ran to her, acting surprised and the girl nodded.

 

"Just tripped on a big stone I guess."

 

The floor was made of cement and there was nothing around her that could make her trip. Jaemin winced and helped the girl stand up. Donghyuck saw her limping and immediately got back to his senses and ran to where they were.

 

"Sehyun, are you okay?!?"

 

He asked, panic evident in his voice. Jaemin grinned, holding back his laughter and Sehyun stared at him. She nodded, finding the whole worried Donghyuck thing comedic.

 

After heading to the school clinic to get her small wound treated, the three made their way to their homes. Sehyun politely asked the boys to allow her to go home by herself. The wound wasn't such a big deal and she could walk properly on her own. They agreed.

 

"She's so clumsy."

 

Donghyuck commented as he watched Jaemin munch down the last piece of his ice cream cone. Sehyun technically didn't turn down Donghyuck for he hadn't asked but he insisted to not state the obvious. Jaemin nodded.

 

"That's why she needs someone to take care of her."

 

"That wouldn't be me."

 

Jaemin whipped his head to look at Donghyuck. Was he giving up? Just like that?

 

"You mean, you're not even trying?"

 

"She has a mom, a dad, and two brothers who could take care of her you big dumbo."

 

Jaemin rolled his eyes at Donghyuck's attempt to joke. The boy laughed and snorted, pleased to hear his own nonsense. Jaemin scowled. 

 

"But seriously," Jaemin said, "you're not going to try to be her boyfriend?"

 

Donghyuck stared at him weirdly and slapped his . He flinched at the pain and slapped him back.

 

"Obviously I'm gonna try. Dude, I'm Lee Donghyuck, I don't just give up."

 

He tried to smack Jaemin again but the boy dodged and formed fists with his hands. They looked like two baby brothers bickering as they walked down the pavement. Perhaps its them who needed care.

 

"Good point."

 

Jaemin said, not exactly pleased to know that Donghyuck wasn't going to stop despite knowing the fact that he doesn't have a chance. At least, for now.

 

"I know you like her too."

 

Donghyuck said out of no where which caused Jaemin to stop walking. He blankly stared at the pavement and looked at the cars in motion on their right. Donghyuck smiled.

 

"You've been bestfriends with her for what, like, your whole life? I know you well, Na Jaemin. And earlier you were just using her past as an excuse for your endless feelings for her."

 

They continued walking and Jaemin catched up to him. Jaemin sighed. It's true indeed, he did like Sehyun. Not as a friend but as herself. He's never told anyone about his feelings but Donghyuck's known that for a while now.

 

"So? What're you gonna do about it?"

 

Jaemin asked as they stepped inside the bus they always rode on. They took the back seats, where the aircon would let out the coolest air among the rest of the areas.

 

"What do you think I'm gonna do about it?"