EIGHT: WAITING IN VAIN

Wavering Hearts

 

Jiyong cannot believe that YG allowed Jun to freely date Dara and he thought he was on his side. He pouted as he remembered that horrendous day in his life. The day YG allowed someone to date a 2NE1 girl and the other girls didn’t even complain about it. His seniors even cheered that Japanese guy.
 
He actually blamed Seungri why he was too late in stopping that unwanted decision of the president. He scolded the maknae for releasing him a little bit too late but he was also thankful to the maknae. He sighed as he sat on the couch at the lobby while waiting for them.
 
Yes, they have gone out to their first date and he didn’t manage to find out where they went. He sighed and pouted as he didn’t see any signs of them yet and its already seven in the evening. They still have some practice for the Big Show.
 
“They’re late.” Jiyong muttered as he didn’t notice that Minzy and the manager was sitting beside him.
 
“Dara-unnie would be late today?” Minzy innocently asked their manager as if teasing the already enraged guy beside them. The manager noticing the presence of Jiyong took a hint and answered, “Right, she messaged me telling me that she might come later since they were stuck in the heavy traffic.”
 
“What?!” Jiyong thought but cannot voice it out since he was afraid of Minzy’s anger. He tried to come closer so that he can hear some news about Dara and that guy.
 
“I heard that Dara-unnie took him to some boutiques and ate out at the Sushiô.” Minzy said as if telling it to guy beside him instead of to the manager. “I’m happy that Dara-unnie is smiling nowadays unlike before.”
 
Jiyong’s body stiffens at Minzy’s last statement. He never realizes until now that he has been hurting her too much. He and his stupid hormones are to blame with. He closed his eyes as he remembered the days when he and Dara would wear guises and visits different shops nearby. They were still trainees back then but it was one of the happiest days he had. After a tiresome day of strolling and playing around, Dara would always drag him to eat ramen at the famous Sushiô.
 
The memories are still fresh and he cannot believe she was doing the same things again but now, with a different guy. It’s not with him. He regretted what he did and if she can give him a chance, he would make her realize he is a changed man.
 
He didn’t realize his tears were coming out not until Minzy offered him a handkerchief without looking at him. He accepted it and smiled at her but Minzy already left before he can even thank her.
 
“Jiyong, it’s not that girls hated you. It’s just that they don’t know how to treat you since your last escapade.” The manager told him before giving him a pat on the shoulders. “I honestly want you and Dara-noona to make up.”
 
Jiyong nodded as he wiped off the tears that just came out. He was not hated but he knew they hated what he had done. If he can turn back the time, he would. He would give up anything just to have her again.
 
“Dara…” Jiyong muttered under his breath and noticed the newly arrived girl with bags on her hands.
 
Jiyong stood up and there she was in front of him. She was still there. She didn’t disappear yet. She was just there by his side. He reaches out for her and gently caresses her face to make sure she was real and smiled weakly.
 
“I miss you.” Jiyong whispered as he grabbed her closer towards him and wrapped his arms around her. “I miss you so much…”
 
-oOo-
 
Dara was surprised that the president allowed her to take out Jun and tour him around Korea. The girls called it as a date but she cannot consider it as a date since Jun never mentioned it was a date. Well, it was a good chance to take her mind off some things. She always sees Jiyong around her nowadays and its making her confuse.
 
Jun wanted to visit the local stores and she gladly showed him the stores she frequently visits. She weakly smiled as she sees the stores again remind her of their memories together. Everything has changed now. She sighed once again.
 
Jun noticed the sad, timid girl beside him and he grabbed her hand tightly. He tilted her head so that she can meet up with his eyes.
 
“You now, Kawaii-chan, there is no need for you to pretend that you’re happy when you are with me.” Jun said sincerely as he looked at her eyes. “I heard from your friends that you just broke up with your special someone so I can totally understand if you are unhappy.”
 
“I’m so sorry, Jun-chan. I’m supposed to be your tour guide here but I’m ruining it for you.” Dara mumbled and she felt her hand being squeezed tightly.
 
“You can tell me everything that you cannot tell to your friends so that you won’t feel much of a burden.” Jun suggested as he directed her hand and placed it on his face. “They say that you can tell a stranger the stories you can never tell to your friends.”
 
“For now, you can consider me a stranger, Kawaii-chan.” Jun stated and gave her a smile that can melt anyone’s hearts.
 
Dara gulped and shook her head as she wiped off the tears that were starting to form on her eyes. She took her hand away from Jun’s tight hold and puts it in her pocket. She smiled at Jun and answered, “I am not a weak girl that will just cry my hearts out to a stranger.”
 
Jun chuckled and grabbed her hand again then led her to one of the stores.
 
“If you’re not a weak girl, smile. Smile like you truly meant it and not an actress’ smile.” Jun commented and dragged her inside of one of the boutiques.
 
“I am smiling.” Dara responded and finished It off with a laugh when Jun flicked her nose.
 
“It won’t even pass a smile for me!” Jun contradicted and pulled her closer before placing a red beanie on her head. “It looks good on you, Kawaii-chan!”
 
Dara laughed at the randomness of this guy. She thought that he was a serious guy but he can be quite cute and funny too. She walked towards the mirror and assessed herself with the red beanie on. She smiled and turned her attention to Jun who was waiting for her judgment. She gave him thumbs up sign and said, “You know my right kind of style!”
 
Jun laughed and shrugged his shoulders like he doesn’t care. His heart was aching when he saw her looking sad and was about to cry. For now, he would stay by her side as someone whom she can trust and rely on. He is happy when he saw her smile childishly at the hats and beanies they bought.
 
“I’m hungry.” Jun stated as his stomach continued to growl. He glances at the girl beside him and nudge her. “Kawaii-chan, take me to dinner…”
 
“Aissh! Then you call yourself a guy! Asking for a girl to take you out in a dinner!” Dara stated teasingly and dragged the poor guy towards the Sushiô.
 
“But I’m hungry and I don’t know any place here!” Jun reasoned out as he put on an aegyo act.
 
“Fine, fine!” Dara said as she took him inside her favorite ramen restaurant.
 
“Two big bowls of the House Specialty, Boss!” Dara yelled at the boss which earned a nod. She pulled the guy into the corner seat and whispered, “I’m close with the owner so she already knows what I order.”
 
“Are you sure that I will like it?” Jun suspiciously asked as he pinched the nose of Dara.
 
“Of course! Sushiô is the best ramen house here in Seoul!” Dara said proudly and winked at the Lady Boss in the counter.
 
“You’re really cute, Kawaii-chan!” Jun commented out of the blue making the girl flushed a tint of pink on her cheeks.
 
“Why do you keep calling me Kawaii-chan?” Dara asked staggeringly and crumpled her nose. “You can actually call me by my name, Dara or Sandara.”
 
“Do you know what it means if I call you Dara?” Jun asked meaningfully.
 
Dara shook her head.
 
“It only means that you and I are that close to address each other without the formalities It’s like being intimate with each other.” Jun explained as he stared at her eyes without batting an eyelash.
 
“Well, you can continue calling me Kawaii-chan.” Dara replied as she diverted her attention to another direction.
 
“On the other hand, I want you to call me Jun.” Jun said as he held her hand and squeezed it tightly. “Maybe not now but when you’re ready to open up your heart again. It would be probably be sweet hearing my name from your lips.”
 
Dara’s face was now redder than ever and an awkward silence envelope the two of them. It only stopped when the ramen came in. The awkwardness was suddenly gone and it seems like it was all an illusion.
 
After eating dinner, Jun walked her towards the YG building and bid goodbye. She thought it would be just a simple goodbye and she was surprised when Jun didn’t let go of her hand.
 
“See you tomorrow, Dara.” Jun whispered and planted a light kiss on her right hand before letting go. She stood there frozen and if not for Jun’s slight push, she might have stayed outside for another hour.
 
“Take care!” Jun said as he waved goodbye before walking away from the YG building.
 
Dara sighed and walked inside the building in a dazed. Her eyes caught the figure of Jiyong who seems to be looking at her direction as well. She told herself to pretend that she didn’t notice him. Her eyes wandered around and she was wondering why there were no people around the lobby area at this time.
 
“Oh goodness, why is this happening?” Dara thought as she remained frozen on her spot as she sees Jiyong walking towards her.
 
She held her breathe as Jiyong was now standing right in front of her and looking at her eyes straightly. She gulped as she saw his hands slowly raised and touched her cheeks.
 
“I miss you” Jiyong whispered into her ears as he pulled her closer to him. “I miss you so much…”
 
Dara closed her eyes as she felt her heart tightens. She wanted to hug him back and tell him she missed him too but she cannot. The wound is still open and her memories of him cheating on her are still fresh on her mind.
 
She gathered all her remaining courage and pushed the guy away from her. She took out a deep breath and walked pass through Jiyong then turned back. She saw Jiyong waiting for her to say something and she shook her head.
 
“I miss you! I miss you so much that my heart aches!” Jiyong yelled loudly earning the attention of the few people on the lobby. “Would it be a bother to you if you tell me you miss me too?!”
 
Dara stopped on her tracks and she held the bags tighter than it hurts so much. She wanted to tell him she missed him but she cannot. It’s already over for the both of them. They both needed the space and with all her remaining strength, she stepped away from him.
 
She walked away from him further and further until she can no longer hear his screams.
 
-oOo-
 
Seunghyun arrived home and he sees the leader drowning himself again in alcohol. He sighed and placed his coat on the coat’s hanger. He approached the downcast leader and opened a can of beer for himself.
 
“I thought you’re ready to take her back?” Seunghyun asked as he sipped from the can of beer.
 
“I am but she doesn’t want me anymore…” Jiyong sobbed as he opened another can of beer.
 
“What made you say that?” Seunghyun asked as he stared at the ceiling. He doesn’t want to see the great leader he knew breaks down in front of him.
 
“I met her earlier after her date with the Japanese guy.” Jiyong started as he remembered the scene where she pushed him away. “I told her I miss her and she pushed me away… She doesn’t want me anymore…”
 
Seunghyun wanted to punch this guy. He raised his brow to check whether the guy was kidding. He let out a heavy sigh and placed the can of beer on the table.
 
“That’s it? That’s the only thing you did?” Seunghyun asked which Jiyong nodded. “Damn it! So much for you being called a genius by some critics! You are moronic when it comes to these things!” Seunghyun added.
 
“Huh?” Jiyong innocently asked like he was some freak.
 
“For Christ’s sake, you have cheated on her several times and you expect her to come running back to you just because you told her you missed her?” Seunghyun yelled. “Think about it Jiyong!”
 
“Should I have told her I love her?” Jiyong asked that made Seunghyun grabbed him by the collar.
 
“Listen to me Jiyong! You have freaking CHEATED ON HER! If you want to win her back, do everything to win her back! Serenade her, shower her with gifts, be her slave, please her friends or whatever! Damn it! You’re some genius!” Seunghyun added as he gritted his teeth.
 
“Like I was courting her again?” Jiyong asked again irritating the older guy again.
 
“YES! Finally it got through you and here we all thought that’s what you’re doing!” Seunghyun said as he shook his head and finished off his beer.
 
“Oh goodness…” Seunghyun thought as he saw the younger guy scampered towards his room. “I just hope for the best.”