NINETEEN: ONE PERCENT CHANCE

Wavering Hearts

 

The girls just arrived at their dorm after a long day of recording. They are so tired since Teddy has asked them to repeatedly record the same song over and over again until he has been satisfied. It has been hellish but they never complained since it was for their first album.
 
Minzy opened the door for her unnies, Chaerin followed and went directly to her room since she was really tired for the day. Bom and Dara went directly at the kitchen area to see if there is something to munch on since both of them were too hungry to sleep.
 
“OH MY GHAD!” Bom exclaimed as soon as she entered the kitchen and saw the food on their table. Most of it is their favorites and it also has some fruits on it. She walked towards it and examined it carefully then picked up a banana to munch on. She found a card and read it aloud, “I know all of you are exhausted. Eat well and regain your energy. Fighting. From, Mr. G.”
 
“Mr. G?” Minzy asked upon entering the kitchen area and throw questioning gazes at the older girls.
 
“Delicious…” Dara muttered as she grabs and bite on an apple.
 
“Do you know anything about this, Ssantoki?” Bom asked and eyed for the expression of her friend.
 
Dara shook her head when she remembered that she sent a message to Jiyong earlier saying she was tired and hungry.
 
“What?” Bom asked as she felt that the other girl has something to say.
 
“It’s not him, right? What do you think?” Dara asked as she took another bite and offered some to the maknae who was amused by the conversation between the older girls.
 
“By him… You mean him?” Bom asked when she understood the younger girl’s statement.
 
Dara nodded and checked the handwriting on the card. She shook her head when she notices that it was really his handwriting.
 
“Unnies… I do not understand any of this… Who’s him?” Minzy asked.
 
“Come on Minkki. I know you’re a smart girl. Who do you think will do all of this?” Bom asked the maknae and pointed at the abundant food on their table.
 
“Jiyong-oppa!” Minzy exclaimed.
 
“Exactly!” Bom said and got another banana to munch on.
 
“But I thought you two were just friends…” Minzy asked Dara who was busy eating some oranges.
 
“I don’t understand it either… He asked me earlier what am I doing and I told him about the exhausting day we had. I also added that I wanted to eat some ramen since I’m hungry…” Dara answered as she peeled another orange.
 
“Ohhhhh!” Bom and Minzy said in a teasing note that puzzled Dara.
 
“No wonder we have lots of healthy foods here.” Minzy commented as she munched on an apple.
 
“Right, coz some rabbit is planning to eat some unhealthy food…” Bom added as she shook her head which annoyed and irritated Dara. She just laughed at Dara’s crunched up face.
 
“Me? Ramen is not an unhealthy food!” Dara defended her favorite food. She pouted and then continued, “You can ask Youngbae about it. He’ll surely tell you the nutrients found in ramen.”
 
“Right, right. Ramen lovers.” Minzy concluded.
 
“No wonder, a certain G was always bugging Youngbae nowadays.” Bom said.
 
“Eh? What do you mean Bomtori?” Dara asked.
 
“And that’s a secret.” Bom said as she excused herself for the night which Minzy follows her lead.
 
“Night, unnies~” Minzy yelled before disappearing at the corner.
 
“Aish. I don’t want to think anymore.” Dara said as she cleaned up everything and put the food on their refrigerator.
 
-oOo-
 
Jiyong was in the recording studio of Teddy with Youngbae. He was throwing his best friend some deadly glares and he sighed. It was not Youngbae’s fault for being close—too close for his liking—to Dara. It’s not like he has the right to say what’s on his mind since she was not his anymore. And it hates it.
 
“Yo, GD, got a problem, man?” Teddy asked that snapped the boy back to reality.
 
“Dara problem?” Youngbae joked which earned a deadly glare from his bestfriend. He laughed at the problematic look of his friend. It’s quite a sight to see the confident leader having some problems. Girl problems to be exact. He thought, “No one would believe that he is having some problems winning a girl’s heart…”
 
“Shut up, man.” Jiyong said. He leaned his back on the so-called “Teddy’s Bed” in the recording studio. His head was looking upwards and his eyes were shut tightly while thinking of the things that are happening now.
 
“By the way, GD… Do you already know the latest?” Teddy asked like a gossiping neighborhood woman.
 
“Know what?” Jiyong asked back without looking at Teddy.
 
“We will be going to the US for a week and so…” Teddy said proudly and saw how Jiyong suddenly straighten his back making him bumped into the wall.
 
THUD!
 
“Aww…” Jiyong said while rubbing the sore part of his head. He looked at Teddy who seems not to be unconcerned about his unfortunate accident. He scoffed and asked, “What do you mean? You’ll be gone for a week? Seriously?”
 
Teddy nodded and made a thumb up action which irked Jiyong in the worst way possible. Jiyong really hates it when there’s something that’s not going his way and the older guy knew it.
 
“And another thing, man, the girls will be going as a surprise guest in your Electro Love Concert Tour as well and to the MTV something-show as your special guest…” Teddy added and flashed him a mischievous smile. And when Jiyong thought Teddy has finished teasing and annoying him, he just threw in a bomb that surprised the Big Bang leader.
 
“And guess who’s in Japan?” Teddy asked as if it was a one-million-dollar question.
 
“Who?” Jiyong grumpily asked.
 
“You don’t know?” Teddy asked playfully. Teddy looked at Youngbae and asked him the same question he asked the leader.
 
Youngbae smiled as he got what Teddy was trying to say. He let out a chuckle and answered, “Matsumoto Jun! Sounds familiar?”
 
“T-the Japanese guy!” Jiyong blurted out upon realizing that the girls being in Japan is a chance for that guy coming closer to his baby girl.
 
“Is this a prank show or what? Where’s the hidden camera?” Jiyong asked as his eyes surveyed the whole room.
 
“Come on, GD. What do you expect? 2NE1 will be debuting soon in Japan while you boys will be focused on your activities here in Korea.” Teddy said as he nudged the gloomy guy.
 
“That’s right, Ji. It would be a great exposure for the girls.” Youngbae said.
 
“Right, right…” Jiyong said to go with the flow. But in his mind, he was already thinking of how to let her know that he still cares. That he still loves her. That he will never hurt her again. Never.
 
“Dara-yah… Please wait for me…” Jiyong whispered to himself.
 
-oOo-
 
YG asked all the girls to come into his office to tell them his plans for the group. He asked them to meet him up at the conference room and they were all quiet as they listen to YG. Even Teddy, Jinu and Kush are all there in the meeting.
 
“You’re all going to Japan in one of the stops of the Big Bang’s Electro Love Tour. You’ll be performing there as a special guest.” YG said and looks at Dara meaningfully.
 
Dara smiled weakly to divert her uneasiness from the meaningful glances of the president. She already knew what the president was trying to say. It only means she can go and relax a bit when that happens.
 
“Ssantoki, you can ask Jun-chan to tour you around…” Bom whispered into her ears which surprised her.
 
“Yah! I don’t want to disturb Jun-chan. I know he’s already busy.” Dara whispered back.
 
“He would be happy to tour you around. I’m sure of it.” Bom insisted.
 
“No. I don’t want to bother him.” Dara said once again in a soft voice.
 
“You’ll never be a bother to him.” Bom retaliate and that’s when the two notice that the room has become silent and that all eyes are on them, Bom let out a nervous laugh and bowed her head. “… Sorry.” Bom muttered.
 
“As I was saying, you’ll be preparing for your album and relaxing at the same time.” YG said as he eyed the two older girls whom he caught gossiping.
 
“And you’re invited as well in the MTV VMAJ for this year as a special guest of Big Bang.” Jinu added.
 
“And we’ll be going to US for the upcoming international album with Will.I.Am…” Teddy added in excitement.
 
“REALLY?” The girls exclaimed all at the same time and clapped their hands in excitement.
 
“We’ll be going to the US! To the US!!!” Bom said excitingly as she shakes her friend who was clasping her hands tightly.
 
“US, Japan!” Chaerin yelled and one can see the enthusiasm in her eyes.
 
“This is exciting! It will be my first time! And we’ll be working with Will.i.Am!!” Minzy yelled.
 
 
-oOo-
 
Jiyong was out with Youngbae and Seungri. It was supposed to be a Big Bang day but Daesung and Seunghyun were forced to cancel because of their sudden appointments.
 
“Hyung, buy me this one!” Seungri said as he pointed at a handsome pair of shoes with a handsome price as well.
 
“And why would I buy you something?” Jiyong asked as he raised his brows at the maknae who was trying to act aegyeo.
 
“Let’s say it’s like your Coming-of-Age gift to me!” Seungri answered and grinned at the two older guys.
 
“But your birthday was already done…” Youngbae commented.
 
“And we have already brought you your gifts…” Jiyong added that made the maknae pouted.
 
“But it’s a BIRTH day gift… This one is for a Coming-of-Age gift… Come on, hyung! Pleaseee…” Seungri pleaded as he tugged at Jiyong’s sleeves like a child which earned laughter from Youngbae.
 
“No.” Jiyong declined the maknae’s request.
 
“Come on, hyung. I know you love me…” Seungri whined as he continues to pester the older guy until he gave in.
 
“Yah! Youngbae, what’s so funny in this situation?” Jiyong asked and slapped Seungri’s hands off his sleeves then glared at his best friend.
 
“Right, hyung! Why are you laughing at Jiyong-hyung!” Seungri said as he sided with Jiyong.
 
“And don’t try to up on me, rat! I am still not buying you those shoes!” Jiyong yelled.
 
“But hyung~” Seungri whines started again.
 
“You two are funny… Damn funny.” Youngbae said and shook his head.
 
-oOo-
 
Dara was about to cook her lunch—ramen—when she heard their door bell ringing. She thought that Minzy or Chaerin would open the door when she remembered that the three went out today. She rubbed her hands on her face as she walked towards the door. She really hates it when somebody would interrupt her meal. She opened the door and to her surprise, it was Dong Wook with Han Byul tugging from behind.
 
“Byul, I miss you!” Dara stated as she threw herself into the arms of the girl in front of her. She really missed her since it’s been awhile since they last met.
 
“And I miss you too… How have you been?” Byul asked her friend as she hugged her back.
 
“I miss you as well, Dara-yah.” Dong Wook said dryly.
 
“Thank you, I miss myself as well.” Dara replied to her same-age friend.
 
“Vain.” Dong Wook exclaimed as he let himself in without Dara’s invitation.
 
“I know…” Dara laughed and then asked, “… so what brings you two here?”
 
Dong Wook and Byul looked at each other and smiled mischievously before looking at her. Dara doesn’t like the way her friends were looking at her. It’s as if the two has some secrets that they don’t want to tell her.
 
“Yah! You two!” Dara yelled that made the two laughed.
 
“We were asked by someone to take care of an unhealthy rabbit that was living here.” Dong Wook answered and threw the opened ramen into the trash which infuriate her.
 
“Who told you to throw away my precious RAMEN?!” Dara blurted out as her eyes turned into slits.
 
“We brought you some real ramen. Not those instant foods you always took in.” Byul said as she caressed Dara’s back in attempt to calm her down which worked.
 
“Fine.. Fine..” Dara muttered as she hurriedly opened the foods that the two brought over. She was already chomping out her food when she forgot to ask who asked them to bring her food. She looked up and stared at the two before asking, “Who asked you bring me food?”
 
“Well, not really asked…” Dong Wook said.
 
“Rather, he begged us.” Byul said and ended it with a laugh.
 
“So who is he?” Dara asked while sipping some soup.
 
“A certain Mr. G.” Dong Wook and Byul answered at the same time which made Dara goes ‘aaaah’.
 
 
-oOo-
 
 
It was the day before Big Bang departs for Japan in preparation for their Electro Love Tour. The other family members were dropping by at their dorm and practice room to wish them all the good fortune in the success of their tour. Most of them were kidding the guys to bring back some gifts from Japan which they all laughed at.
 
Jiyong was sitting at the corner and was holding on tightly \ to the thing he brought during his off with Seungri and Youngbae. He sighed as he never got the chance to speak with her again after the day they met up at his sister’s place.
 
All he managed to do was send her a message to ask her how she was doing and stuff. Plus he also asked the people around him—who he is still trying to prove he is a better man now—to take care of her. He usually asked them favors in giving her foods and vitamins whenever he heard that they have a late night practice. He sighed again.
 
“Do you know that you would loss an ounce of fortune whenever you let out a sigh?” Jiyong heard someone behind her back. His heart almost fell when he realized whose voice it was. He slowly turned around and saw her. The girl he was just thinking about earlier. A goofy, shy smile curved up on his lips and then said, “What are you doing here?”
 
“I was with the girls…” Dara said and pointed at the other girls who were busy playing around with the boys.
 
Jiyong looked at the direction where she pointed and saw the usual scenario whenever the girls visited. Seungri and Chaerin are bickering with each other over trivial stuffs. Daesung was teasing Minzy about being unfriendly whenever they were alone. Bom was pestering the unusually quiet Seunghyun who was hiding behind Youngbae’s back.
 
“Ah, no wonder it has been a bit noisy…” Jiyong commented which earned a chuckle from the older girl. He stared at her like this was the first time he was seeing her. His mind was full of thoughts on how the heck did he cheat on her. Why did he manage to hurt this innocent girl whom he loves so much? He was vexed when these realizations came over him.
 
“You’re spacing out again, Jiyong-sshi.” Dara pointed out as she poked Jiyong’s cheeks which made the latter blushed.
 
“Oh. Sorry.” Jiyong shyly said that made the air between the two of them a bit awkward.
 
Unknown to them, there are several pair of eyes who were watching them secretly. They pretended to be busy but they were really just letting the two talks on their own. Seungri almost burst out laughing when he saw his hyung blushing over a little touch. He would have laugh if Chaerin didn’t step on his foot.
 
“Uhmm… I haven’t seen you for so long. Has it been weeks?” Jiyong started as his gazed shifted from one place to the other as he tries to avoid the straight look she giving to him.
 
“I don’t know. It passed by quickly. Maybe? Did you count it?” Dara asked back and looked down as she realized that her stares might be making him uncomfortable.
 
“Count what?”Jiyong asked.
 
“The weeks we haven’t met with each other…” Dara answered with a weak smile.
 
“Yes.. uhm, no, I meant no.” Jiyong stuttered that made her laughed.
 
Jiyong was relieved that he was able to make her laugh. It sounded so genuine since it is genuine. He really wanted to say how much he missed her and he doesn’t know how to begin. He guessed that just being with her is enough for now.
 
“You’re still cute, Jiyong-sshi.” Dara commented out of the blue.
 
“Eh?” Jiyong said mimicking the infamous expression of Bom.
 
“Nothing.” Dara said and bit her lips to prevent her from blurting out things.
 
Silence. Another silence enveloped the two of them. It feels like the time when they have officially broke up at the Han River. Jiyong bit his lower lip as he observed the changes in the expression of the older girl.
 
“I’m sorry.” Jiyong whispered in a barely heard voice.
 
Sandara paused for a while and looked straight at Jiyong’s eyes to check if she heard it correctly. When she saw the seriousness in his eyes, she replied without looking at him, “For what?”
 
“For breaking my promise to you…” Jiyong said in a weak voice.
 
“Promises are always meant to be broken.” Dara refuted.
 
Jiyong gulped and paused when he heard that. He already knew that this will be harder than when he first met her. It would be harder to gain her trust again.
 
“But still… I’m sorry.” Jiyong said since he cannot defend himself from what she said. He broke his promise of not hurting her. He broke his promise for making her cry. He broke his promise of treating her unfairly. He broke almost all promises but one.
 
“But there was one promise I haven’t broke yet…” Jiyong said and held her hands while looking straight at her eyes. A first for him since they last saw each other.
 
“Huh?” Dara asked as she wanted to free her hand from his grip but she doesn’t have enough will to do so.
 
“My promise that you will be the only woman I will love…” Jiyong said as he took her hands close to his lips. He gently kissed her hands and whispered, “I… I still love you.”
 
“I…”
 
“You don’t need to answer now… Because I know what a jerk I am… I am willing to wait.” Jiyong said as he loosens his grip just to get the thing that was on his pocket.
 
“I don’t know Jiyong… “ Dara finally managed to say.
 
Jiyong took out the thing he was holding tightly earlier and offered it to the girl. It was a small box covered in a black, velvety cover. He saw Dara’s eyes widen when she realized what was on that box. He can hear the other people inside the room gasped for air and controlling themselves from reacting. He was surprised that even Seungri, the tattletale, was awfully quiet. And he was thankful.
 
“I can’t accept that…” Dara said as she tried to give the gift back to Jiyong.
 
“Why?” Jiyong asked, a bit hurt.
 
“Jiyong… I don’t know if I can trust you again. You should know…” Dara said as her voice gets weaker.
 
“I know.. I know…” Jiyong said as he opened Dara’s hand and placed the box on the palm of her hands and closed it tightly. He held her hand and took it to his lips again then he pleaded, “I know that you might not accept me again… But this is not a completely hopeless case, right?”
 
Sandara stayed silent as she watched the great Kwon leader’s confidence starts to crumble into pieces. She wants to trust him again. She really do, but there is something that keeps her from doing so. The fear of being betrayed again.
 
“I…” Dara started but she was silenced by Jiyong’s finger on her lips.
 
“Even if it was just one percent chance… I am willing to take it… Just please… Don’t shun me away just like that… Please, Dara…” Jiyong pleaded and tears were starting to form on his eyes.
 
“Jiyong…. Don’t shed tears… Look, the others are here…” Dara said as an attempt to comfort the great leader.
 
“I’m not ashamed of what I’m doing now… Since you are far more important than them…” Jiyong whispered as he tries to control the tears from falling down. He added, “Just keep the ring… If in any case you happen to change your mind and wanted to give me a chance again, you just have to wear it… And I will know…”
 
“Alright…” Dara can only say since she was already rendered speechless.