EIGHTEEN: REKINDLING THE FRIENDSHIP

Wavering Hearts

 

Jiyong decided to drop by at the mall before going directly at his sister’s apartment. He wanted to buy some cake or pastries for his sister. He feels bad for shutting down himself at his sister and a bit guilty when he pushed her away earlier. As he was walking and checking out the stores, he saw matching blue and red bracelets on the other side of the mall. He smiled since the bracelets are simply beautiful, nothing to eye catching but just elegant in its simple way. And simplicity is just so her, it would definitely look beautiful on her.
 
“Hmm…” Jiyong muttered as his feet unconsciously led him inside the store and taking out his card to purchase the bracelet. If he will give it to her, he doesn’t know. They were not even in speaking terms so how the heck can he give it to her. He sighed as he put the newly purchased matching bracelets on his pocket. He sighed and whispered to himself, “Who knows?”
 
Jiyong saw his favorite pastry shop and smiled as he can see his favorite kind of cake. His and Dara’s favorite one as well. He was about to buy the two cakes when he remembered that he will be going to his sister’s place, not Dara’s. He doesn’t know why the thought of Dara is suddenly just popping into his mind.
 
His phone rang when he was about to pay. He told the cashier to wait for a second so that he can answer the phone. He sighed as he saw it was his sister. He answered the call and then paid for the cakes.
 
“Noona? What’s up?” Jiyong asked as he smiled at cashier before walking out of the store.
 
“Are you coming or not?” Jiyong winced at his sister’s loud, shrieking yells.
 
“I’m coming… I’m on my way already…” Jiyong answered with a goofy smile on his face as he imagined the frowning face of his older sister.
 
“Faster, slowpoke Jiyong!” Jiyong winced again as he heard that horrid name his sister created at that moment. He was about to end the phone call when he heard a faint familiar voice in the background. He was sure that it was her voice.
 
“She was with noona?” Jiyong asked himself and a smile was permanently carved into his face.
 
“He better make sure that he was right so instead of strolling around first, he immediately dashed out of the mall and hop in his Bentley. He needed to get in there quickly. He wanted to see her, even a glimpse would do. Mores so, he wanted to talk to her and tell her how he missed her.
 
“Goodness… Dara-yah, wait for me please…” Jiyong thought as he drove in full speed.
 
-oOo-
 
Dara was getting a bit impatient since Dami has gone out for a while to buy some snacks for them. She wanted to refuse the invitation but she just cannot. Her eyes wander around and saw some framed photos on Dami’s work desk. Out of curiosity, she stood up and looked at the photos. She saw some photos of Dami with models and some friends. She also saw Dami with her family. Dami with Gaho. And of course, Dami with him. He was Dami’s brother after all. She was happy to have met with his family since she felt a part of their family. More than the usual, his family would side with her whenever they have some trivial fights.
 
“How are you know, Jiyong-ah?” Dara whispered into the thin air while looking at the framed photos of him.
 
She was about to pick up the photo of them—Jiyong, Dami and her—during their last trip to Dami’s store wherein his sister picks up a lot of items for her and her family when she heard the doorbell rang.
 
“Oh, that must be Dami-unnie!” Dara muttered as she hurriedly went to open the door. Without further ado, she opened the door and her heart has almost stopped when she saw who was at the door. She gulped and gathered all her remaining strength in whispering his name, “Jiyong-ah…”
 
Jiyong has almost dropped the bags that he was holding when he saw who opened the door for him. His jaws almost literally dropped when he saw her face. Honestly, he was surprise but his heart was full of happiness. He can now see her after how many days. Coincidence or not, he doesn’t care since he got what he wanted. For her to be with close with him, she was just an arm away from him.
 
“Dara…” Jiyong whispered her name affectionately unconsciously that made the girl’s cheeks flustered a bit.
 
Dara, a bit flustered, smiled and opened the door more widely so that Jiyong can come in. She looked at him and her heart started beating faster again. She smiled once again and said, “You should come in now before some fans can take some photos.”
 
“Ah right…” Jiyong mumbled in reply as he stepped inside his sister’s apartment.
 
The air between the two of them was filled with tension. If someone drops a needle on the ground, they might be able to hear the sound of it. It was too quiet that it makes one unable to breathe in this situation. Jiyong glance at the girl sitting at the couch next to him. He can feel her uneasiness and he can also feel her slow breathing. Her two hands were both placed in front of her lap and was looking downwards to avoid his gaze. He smiled a bit since she never changed at all.
 
“What a coincidence. I never thought seeing you here in my sister’s apartment?” Jiyong asked to break the numbing silence between them.
 
“Uhm… Dami unnie… I saw her earlier around the area… and uhm, she invited me to have some tea but…” Dara softly answered with an obvious stutter and then paused since she doesn’t know how to continue.
 
“Rather than invite, it’s more like she forced you to accept her invitation, right?” Jiyong guessed as he eyed her expressions. Right on the dot, he saw her gulped which had proven his point. He already knew that his sister can sometimes be too pushy for her own good.
 
“Neh, it’s not like I was forced… More of like…” Dara refuted reluctantly.
 
“More of like she didn’t leave you any choice to decline the invitation, right?” Jiyong guessed again and rephrase his sentence.
 
Dara slightly nodded and shyly smiled at him which made him smile as well. Jiyong missed the times they were able to talk and be open with each other. Aside from Youngbae, she was his shelter and his comfort. Not only as a lover but she is more than that. She was his support from behind the scenes. His other half, his friend and his most treasured person.
 
“I miss you…” Jiyong said out of the blue that made the girl looked at him with a surprised expression.
 
“Eh…?” Dara said since she was loss for words.
 
“When we broke up… Not only did I lose my girlfriend… I also lost my friend…” Jiyong replied to the unspoken question of Dara.
 
“I… I’m just here.” Dara said after battling herself on how to counter what he just said.
 
“I know but it’s not like before…” Jiyong said.
 
“You’re the one who severed our connection…” Dara commented which surprised Jiyong.
 
“Huh? But it was you who started going awkward on me…!” Jiyong rebutted.
 
“You must have forgotten but I’m awkward with everyone!” Dara responded as she unconsciously faced Jiyong.
 
“But you aren’t awkward with Bom-noona and the other YG family members!” Jiyong accusingly said.
 
“That is so not true!” Dara yelled back.
 
“Yes it was true!” Jiyong yelled as he unconsciously moves in closer towards the girl.
 
“You might be partly right...” Dara said as she avoided the intense gaze of Jiyong and reflected on what was said.
 
“See…?” Jiyong said as he nods as if telling the girl that he was right all along.
 
“I am not awkward with Bomtori because she’s a confidante… But I am still awkward with the other YG family members… You can ask Youngbae and Ri about it…” Dara responded after thinking about it.
 
“But still! I am also once your confidante… before everything happened.” Jiyong complained.
 
“I told you… You’re the one who shut yourself out. Not me.” Dara said.
 
“But you avoided me like a plague…!” Jiyong yelled again as if pushing the topic like a child.
 
“Who wouldn’t avoid you? I mean, you look like you don’t want to talk to me as a friend… So I waited.” Dara whispered in the air and can be barely heard by Jiyong.
 
Jiyong looks at Dara and saw her pouting with a deep frown curved on her face. It was so cute. It has been awhile since he last saw and argued with her for such trivial matters. He let out a chuckle that earned a puzzled look from the girl.
 
“What’s so funny?” Dara asked in an annoyed tone.
 
“You… Me… Us…” Jiyong answered in between laughters.
 
“Huh?” Dara asked.
 
“I mean… I miss this…” Jiyong said as he seriously looked at Dara in the eyes.
 
“Yeah…” Dara unconsciously agreed.
 
“Friends?” Jiyong offered his hand.
 
“We’ve never been enemies…” Dara answered with a blissful smile on her face as she accepted JIyong’s handshake.
 
“Doesn’t matter.” Jiyong casually said as he shrugged his shoulder.
 
-oOo-
 
“So I heard some news…”
 
Dara opened her eyes and saw a very curious Bom hovering above her. She blinked to see whether she was still sleeping or awake already. She blinked a few times which irritated Bom and made her pout.
 
“Yah! Wake up, you oversleeping Ssantoki!” Bom exclaimed as she pushed her weight over hers.
 
“Bomtoriii…” Dara lazily muttered as she looked sideways to check the time. It was still 7 o’clock in the morning. She grunted and closed her eyes again then grumbled, “Its still early… Let me sleep some more…”
 
“No can do!” Bom responded as she shook Dara’s body forcing the other girl to wake up.
 
“Aissht… What’s with you early this morning?” Dara asked grumpily as she reluctantly makes her bed.
 
“I heard some interesting news…” Bom said in a nosy manner.
 
“Yeah, you told me that earlier… So what’s the news that you need to wake me up?” Dara grunted.
 
“Oh well, I need to wake you up since you are very much involved in the news itself.” Bom said as she eyed the half asleep girl.
 
“What do you mean?” Dara asked.
 
“I heard that you and Jiyong have made up already… Are you together again?” Bom asked as she noticed the blue bracelet on Dara’s wrist.
 
“Neh… We made up but we’re not together…” Dara clarified.
 
“Eh?” Bom asked in a confused tone.
 
“I mean… We’re back to being friends… You know something like when we’re both trainees…” Dara said that earned an ‘aaaah’ response from Bom.
 
“So it’s like another Jiyong-ie loving you from afar again…” Bom thought as she shook her head. Poor kid. Well, he was the person who brought it to himself. Let him suffer a bit.
 
“Bomtori?” Dara asked the older girl as if checking if she was still with her.
 
“You’re bracelet. It’s the first time I’ve seen it…” Bom commented as she touched the blue bracelet.
 
“Ah, it was given to me by Jiyong-ah.” Dara answered.
 
“Oh, I see. Because I think I saw an exact pair worn by him… Although it was a different color.” Bom commented again as she smiled sheepishly. She thought that maybe this wasn’t that much of a difficult situation for the guy.
 
“Yes, yes. I think his was red. This was his peace offering and a sign of friendship between the two of us.” Dara answered happily as she affectionately looked at the bracelet on her wrist.
 
“I see… I see. Uhm, Dara-yah…” Bom called out the dazed girl again.
 
“Hmmm?” Dara said in response.
 
“Have you already truly forgiven Jiyong?” Bom asked.
 
Dara gulped and then looked down as if reflecting on how to answer the older girl.
 
“Uhm… Seriously, I don’t know.” Dara answered honestly.
 
“But then…?” Bom said as if questioning the budding relationship between the two again.
 
“I just can’t bear not to be near him… So I haven’t put much thought in it…” Dara answered once again.
 
“Do you still love him?” Bom asked.
 
“I was angry at him but I never stopped loving him, Bommie….” Dara whispered that stunned Bom.