SIXTEEN: STEPPING FORWARD

Wavering Hearts

 

 
It has been days since Jiyong last saw Dara. The last time he saw her was when he was stalking her during the date with that Japanese guy. He tends to forget the name of that guy even if he always hears it from the other members. He sighed and closed his eyes as he recalled Dara’s face with a smile. He unconsciously reached out for her face but it disappeared and he realized it was all on his mind.
 
“Fcuk.” Jiyong cursed as he stood up and look at his messy room.
 
Fashion and music magazines were all scattered on the floor. His used and unused clothes were almost mixed up in the corner. There are a few cans of beers—opened and empty—on his desk. There are crumpled papers all over the room since those were rejects for him.
 
He saw a framed photo on his desk. It was him, Dara and Youngbae during their last escapade wherein they decided to visit Busan with Dara’s little brother, Sanghyun. It was Sanghyun who took the photo and it was Dara who framed it for him.
 
“I miss you…” Jiyong whispered and then traced the photo using his finger. He put the photo as he sat on the chair and whispered, “…not only did I lost my girlfriend, I also lost my best friend.”
 
Ding Dong. Ding Dong.
 
He frowned as he heard the repeated doorbell. His face crumpled when he thought that it might be the maknae who has forgotten the key again. He stomped his way out to open the door and was prepared to lecture the troublesome guy when his jaw dropped seeing his visitor.
 
“Dami-noona…” Jiyong muttered as he felt a tight hug from his older sister.
 
-oOo-
 
Sandara has just arrived at their dormitory after bringing Jun-chan to the airport. It seems that Jun-chan and Kazu-nii have been called back by their agencies regarding some CF deals. But Jun-chan insisted in spending most of his time in Korea with her so he pleaded with the other girls in convincing her to bring him to the airport.
 
She shook her head as she look at the mini Tamtam that Jun-chan won on the amusement park the last time. She squeezes it as she remembered Jun-chan’s words.
 
“Since I am not here, I will leave mini Jun-chan in your hands! You can tell him everything you cannot share with anyone. Even with me. I’m sure mini Jun-chan will keep your secrets just like it was his. So don’t be lonely and don’t cry!”
 
She smiled at his words. She was happy since she found a friend in him. She doesn’t know what she will do if she doesn’t have any friends. She guessed it was very fortunate for her to have few friends that she can trust and rely on.
 
She opened the door to their dorm and saw the girls doing their things. Bom was busy munching on some corns and breads. Minzy was arranging the Polaroid she took and putting it in a scrapbook. Chaerin was sitting in the corner scribbling some stuff.
 
“I’m home…” Dara said in the softest manner.
 
“Dara-yah!” Bom exclaimed as she immediately drops of her food and stood up to give her a very tight hug. She whispered into the younger girl’s ears, “…so are you feeling sad now that lover boy isn’t around?”
 
“Bommie-ah!!” Dara yelled with flustered face.
 
Bom laughed at Dara’s face whose face can be compared to a tomato. She finds the younger girl so adorable whenever she about Jun. She guessed that Dara never thought of it like that at all. Well, Dara will not be Dara if she isn’t like that.
 
“But, Jun-kun is your lover boy. Words of Seungri, not mine.” Bom said with a hint of teasing.
 
“Jun-chan is not my lover! All you people are sooo malicious thinking that way!” Dara yelled as she stomped her feet towards the couch in which Minzy envelop her in a tight hug.
 
“I miss you unnie!” Minzy whispered.
 
“But I just saw you earlier. You cute little maknae, what do you want?” Dara said as she smiled at the affection Minzy is giving her.
 
“I don’t want anything! Can’t I say I miss my favorite unnie?” Minzy muttered with a pout.
 
“Ah! But you told me I was your favorite!” Bom exclaimed as she crossed her arms and pouted.
 
Minzy smiled reluctantly which made Bom’s frown deeper.
 
“Oh goodness! You little punk… lying to me!” Bom yelled as she attacked the maknae with her tickle tactic.
 
“U.. Unniie… Stop it..” Minzy said in between her laughter.
 
“No can do you little fox!” Bom stated as she continued to attack the maknae.
 
“Aigoo… Unniiiiiieeeee! Dara-unnie help!” Minzy yelled as she tried to free herself from the oldest girl.
 
“Ahhhhh…. Minzy-ah! I don’t want to break my bones yet…” Dara muttered jokingly which earned a glare from Bom.
 
“Bones? Breaking?! Do I look heavy to you, Ssantoki?!” Bom shrieked.
 
“Uhh… yeah?” Dara answered unsurely.
 
“Good luck, unnie!” Minzy exclaimed as she saw Bom chasing the other girl all over the room.
 
“Minzy-aaaahhh!!!” Dara screamed as they disappeared somewhere in one of the rooms.
 
After ten minutes of screaming, laughing and shrieking, the older girls went out of the room again with their disheveled looks. Bom’s hair was in a mess while Dara’s bun was un-bun. Both of their clothes were wrinkled and Dara’s missing a shoe.
 
“Where the heck did you two go?” Chaerin commented.
 
“Have you two gone in a war or something?” Minzy teased that earned a glare from Bom.
 
“Aigoo… Bommie threw one of my shoes outside the window!” Dara complained as she looked at her right foot that has no shoes.
 
“It’s not like I intended to throw it away. It just happens that there was a window when the shoe started flying out of the room. The shoe wanted its freedom, Dara-yah!” Bom said randomly making them laugh.
 
“Freedom?” Dara asked as she rolled her eyes. She cannot contradict Bom since she would tire herself out battling with her.
 
“You want another round, Ssantoki?” Bom asked with a hint of mischievousness.
 
Dara raised her hands in sign of giving up and letting Bom have her way. She observed the other girls and when she thought that everyone isn’t that busy anymore. She clenched her fist and gathered up her courage to ask a question that is bugging her mind.
 
“Do you girls… talk with Jiyong-sshi?” Dara asked in the softest voice.
 
“Talk?” Chaerin asked.
 
“As in talk?” Bom asked.
 
“Casual talk, unnie?” Minzy clarified.
 
“I mean… The usual talk… Conversation?” Dara explained.
 
“Friendly talk?” Bom asked as she raised one of her eyebrows.
 
“Aissh. Let me rephrase the question, how’s your relationship with Jiyong-sshi?” Dara asked.
 
“Just fine.” Chaerin immediately answered.
 
“The usual.” Bom said.
 
“We don’t talk much, unnie.” Minzy admitted honestly.
 
“Why?” Dara thought aloud which she regretted badly.
“Are you seriously asking us that?” Chaerin asked.
 
“Ah, no… I know it’s because of me…” Dara said sadly and then looked at her friends.
 
“Unnie…” Minzy whispered as she gave Dara a tight hug.
 
“I’m sorry if I put you into this situation…” Dara whispered.
 
“Dara-unnie…” Chaerin muttered.
 
“I mean, I know all of you really adore Jiyong and you are all close to him… but I ruined it. It was all my fault…” Dara continued as she tried to hold back her tears.
 
“Dara… Don’t think like that… Alright?” Bom said as she patted Dara’s head.
 
“But…” Dara said.
 
“No more buts! The Jiyong issue would be resolved sometime… but let’s not force it.” Bom said as an assurance for the younger girl.
 
“Promise?” Dara asked with a pleading look.
 
“Promise.” Bom said as she sighed.
 
-oOo-
 
 
“Are you really giving up?”
 
Jun looked up and saw Kazunari worriedly looking at him. He has been silent since they arrived in Japan. He smiled weakly and looked outside the window.
 
“Hmm…?” Jun asked.
 
“I mean… about Dara-kun!” Kazunari said.
 
“What about her?” Jun asked innocently. He knew that the older guy was really curious on what happened between him and Kawaii-chan on their date.
 
“I don’t know. I can just feel that you have given up… Or was I wrong?” Kazunari asked.
 
“I wasn’t even given a chance to confess!” Jun blurted out randomly that stunned the older guy.
 
“Seriously, man?” Kazunari asked.
 
Jun nodded reluctantly as he remembered their date and how he wasn’t able to confess at all. How can he ruin a friendship that he can treasure just because of being selfish?”
 
“What happened?” Kazunari asked with concern all over his face.
 
“We’re friends and I realized that’s all what we can be.” Jun said in a sad note.
 
“Why? You love her, right?!” Kazunari questioned.
 
“Yes.” Jun admitted as he bit his lip.
 
“Then why?!”
 
“I love her but she doesn’t love me… So should I force myself unto her and make her hate me? Man, I cannot bear that.” Jun said as he accepted that friendship is the only thing Dara can offer to him or to anyone for that matter.
 
“It’s not very Jun to just give up. Just so you know.” Kazunari said.
 
“I know. Maybe this Jun has matured a bit. Don’t you think?” Jun asked.
 
“Maybe?” Kazunari said.
 
“Maybe. Since this Jun realized that we can’t always be with the person we love.” Jun said before closing his eyes to remember the genuine smile of Dara.
 
“Right, right, kid!” Kazunari said as he messed up Jun’s hair. He looked outside and then said, “Oh well. You can always find another one great love one day!”
 
“I know.” Jun said as he gave one last look at stolen shot of Dara on his phone.