FOUR: BEGINNINGS AND ENDS

Wavering Hearts

Dara and the girls were taking a break after from the practice for the upcoming year end shows. Right now, they were practicing their collaboration with Youngbae and Jiyong for the song Let’s Go Party. She was leaning her back on the wall and was trying to steal some nap when she heard her phone vibrate.


“A message?” Dara thought as she took out her phone thinking that it was a sweet nothing from Jiyong but she guessed wrong. She opened the message from the unknown number and a crease formed on her forehead.


From: +xxx-xxx-xxx-xx-xx
Subject: Friends?
Message: Hi there, kawaii-chan! Remember me? I’m the one from the airport.
Tell me you remember me! ^-^

 


Dara’s eyebrow rose when she read the message and asked herself who’s the one who messaged her. She decided to ignore the message and closed her eyes gently again. After five minutes, her phone vibrated again indicating that another message came in.

 


From: +xxx-xxx-xxx-xx-xx
Subject: No response, kawaii-chan?
Message: Ne,ne! Why are you not replying to me? Don’t tell me you forgot about me. *sob sob* Kawaii-chan, you hurt my pride. =(

 


“Aish!” Dara thought and stood up to put her phone on her bag so that she can rest for a while. She felt that she won’t be able to rest if her phone kept on vibrating. She was about to put her phone inside her bag when it vibrated again indicating an incoming message. Her nose twitch in annoyance as she read the message from the guy at the airport.

 


From: +xxx-xxx-xxx-xx-xx
Subject: NOOOOO ^o^
Message: Nooo! Don’t keep your phone kawaii-chan! Are you mad at me, kawaii-chan? So sorry but I really wanted to be friends~ ♥

 


Dara sighed and punched in a response to the annoying and persistent guy. She was busy fiddling the keys that she didn’t notice the smile forming on Chaerin’s lips as she saw her keying some response.


To: +xxx-xxx-xxx-xx-xx
Subject: Stop bothering me!
Message: Who gave you my number?! I don’t know you so please stop messaging me!

 


Dara sighed and kept her phone on her pocket. She was annoyed like hell that she never notices Jiyong entering the room. She felt someone hugging her from behind and slightly glance to see who it was. A smile slowly formed on her lips.

 


“Jagiya, what are you doing?” Jiyong asked as he pulled her closer to her and leaned his chin on her shoulder. “I miss you…”

 


Dara sighed and she heard Chaerin snorted but she decided to ignore it. Ever since they went to a trip, Chaerin seems to be avoiding the Big Bang’s leader and she always make excuses for her not to engage in a conversation with the guy. She smiled back at Jiyong and then caress Jiyong’s cheeks.

 


“Did you and CLroo fight?” Dara asked while looking at the kid leader staring at them.

 


“No. Why did you ask that? We’re in good terms. Maybe she was having some mood swings?” Jiyong said without meeting Dara’s eyes as if trying to hide the truth from her. He pinched Dara’s chubby cheeks and whispered, “I know that you won’t like it if we fought. I don’t want to do anything you don’t want.”

 


Dara smiled and was about to respond to his cheesy lines when her phone vibrated again. She excused herself from Jiyong and checked her message. Jiyong pouted and leaned back on the wall as if giving her the privacy that she needed.

 


From: +xxx-xxx-xxx-xx-xx
Subject: RE: Stop bothering me!
Message: I’m Matsumoto Jun. You can call me Matsujun or Jun-chan, kawaii-chan! So now, you knew me and because of it, we’re already friends~! Oh, a cat. A sneaky cat gave me the number. *wink wink* - Jun-chan *___*

 

 


Dara’s jaw dropped when she realized that it was probably Chaerin that gave her number. She took out a deep sigh since she doesn’t know why Chaerin gave her number to a stranger. “Maybe, Jiyong-ie was right. She probably has mood swings.” Dara thought while smiling and keying her response to the airport guy who wanted to be called Jun-chan.

 


Jiyong doesn’t want to sneak and invade his girlfriend’s privacy but he feels curious on whoever messaged her since she has a weird smile plastered on her face. He sneakily peeks at her girlfriend’s phone and he gritted his teeth when he saw the message plus the name on the phone.

 


To: Jun-chan (+xxx-xxx-xxx-xx-xx)
Subject: RE:RE:Stop bothering me!
Message: What an intruding cat! Why am I being forced to be your friend? You probably don’t even know my name since you keep on calling me “kawaii-chan”.

 


Jiyong frowned at the name ‘Jun-chan’ since it sounded like it was a guy. He wanted to ask her but he knew he doesn’t have any right to ask her. He knows that he has been a very bad boyfriend. His fist clenched tightly as Dara seemed to forgot about him and he has to faked a cough in order to get her attention back.

 


“Sorry, Jiyong-ie.” Dara whispered as she pinched Jiyong’s nose─ to his irritation.

 


“Who are you messaging Jagiya?” Jiyong asked as he pulls her closer to him.

 


Dara let out a genuine laugh that made Jiyong’s heart ache. She leaned her head on his chest and rubs her cheeks on it that tickles him. She smiled without him knowing and purred like a kitten as she whispered, “Are you jealous, Jiyong-ie?” Jiyong didn’t respond since he doesn’t know what to answer. He prefers not to answer it and then he heard her sigh then whisper in a very soft voice, “Coz if you are jealous, it makes my heart flutter. It means you still love me…”

 


Jiyong leaned closer and plant a light kiss on her head.

 


“I love you, Jagiya.” Jiyong whispered.

 


-oOo-

 


Chaerin was apprehensive at what’s happening right now. It’s because for two days, the great Kwon leader was always by her unnie’s side. It’s like he was marking his territory on her again and she can saw Dara smiling again. It hurts for her to admit that even if he’s the sole reason why she cries, he’s the only reason for her to smile again.

 


“Ironic.” Chaerin thought as she walked towards their dressing room.

 


As she was walking to the dressing room, she saw Dara standing in front of the slightly opened door. And for the nth time, she saw her crying again. She slowly approached the older girl and she can see her trying to hide her tears. She opened her arms and welcomed the older girl In her arms.

 


Dara quietly sobbed in the leader’s arms as if trying to drown herself from the sadness her unnie was feeling. Chaerin was about to lead the older girl outside when she caught some of the things the boys were talking about.

 


“Did you cut off your connection with her?” Daesung asked.

 


“Connection with whom?” Top asked.

 


“Some model.” Daesung answered.

 


“Why would I cut it off?” Jiyong responded.

 


“For Dara-noona! Isn’t that reason more than enough?” Daesung exclaimed.

 


“How can I cut something that was never there?” Jiyong muttered.

 


“Nothing?” Youngbae asked which earned a nod from Jiyong.

 


“You flirted with her, kissed her and heaven knows what you did together when you’re alone? Don’t tell me it was just playing around?” Youngbae exclaimed in a louder voice than his usual one, surprising the others.

 


Chaerin now knew why the older girl was crying. It was because she found out the incident that she has been trying to hide from her. Now, all the secrets were out and it only resulted into her crying and suffering again.

 


Again and again.

 


-oOo-

 


Two hours before the final dress rehearsal for the Gayo, Jiyong received a message from Dara to meet her in the dressing room. He doesn’t know why he felt nervous about this unexpected meeting with her even if he shouldn’t feel that way.

 


He reached the dressing room and darkness welcomed him. It was very unusual that there was no one in their dressing room but the two of them.

 


“Jagiya?” Jiyong called as his eyes wondered around the room. He brought out his mobile phone and used the light to find her. “Jagiya?”

 


“I’m here.” Dara’s little voice responded.

 


Jiyong followed her voice and with the help of the light of his phone, he can see her crouching in one of the bench-like couch. He smiled and was about to hug her when she saw her stopped him.

 


“Any problems?” Jiyong asked.

 


Dara shook her head and stood up then slowly walked towards Jiyong until she was standing right in front of him.

 


“Let me ask the question back to you, do we have any problems?” Dara asked in a weak voice.

 


“None, as far as I know…” Jiyong stated as he tried to envelope her in a warm embrace but was pushed away. “Baby, what seems to be the problem?”

 


“Baby? Jagiya? How many girls did you call by those names?” Dara asked stopping Jiyong’s movement.

 


Silence consumed the two of them and both of them can hear the loud beating of their hearts. Jiyong heard her laugh.

 


“You can’t answer? Because it’s true. You can’t defend yourself about it…” Dara continued weakly as she started to sob. “I pretended… I pretended that I didn’t notice the changes you had. I made myself believe that you’re just having some troubles because of the controversies you’re facing now. I defended you from people who badmouth you telling me that you’re such a player…”

 


“Jagiya…” Jiyong whispered as he felt the tears slowly forming on his eyes.


“No, don’t call me that way because I don’t know how many times you might have used the term jagiya as endearment for the other girls…” Dara said in between her tears.

 


“Listen to me… please…?” Jiyong said as he grabbed Dara’s wrist and pulled her closer towards him. He cupped her face and plants light kisses on her face as he whispered like a chant, “No… no… You’re my only jagiya… I love you… I love you…”

 


Dara can only cry as she shook her head and removes Jiyong’s hand from her face. She gaze into Jiyong’s eyes and smiled bitterly then cupped Jiyong’s face with her small hands.

 


“I don’t know. I honestly don’t know if I can believe your words… “ Dara whispered as she pulled Jiyong;s head closer to her until their foreheads were now attached to each other. “… maybe, this is not our time… You’re still young and you might have mistaken your admiration for me as love… We don’t know…”

 


“Dara, no… Please…” Jiyong said as he cannot hold back his tears already. The hell he cares for his image. He would throw everything─ even his career─ just to make her stay. If he can turn back time, he wouldn’t play around and gave in to the temptation. He felt her lips touch his forehead and he heard her whisper.

 


“Let’s break up, Jiyong.”