TWENTY THREE: STAY CLOSE, DON'T GO

Wavering Hearts

 

Dara felt relieved when Jiyong decided to get some food. She can’t seem to breathe whenever they were left alone with an awkward silence between them. She knew that he just excused himself from the awkward situation as well. Cold breeze passed by which made her shiver a bit. She looked at the door leading to the rooftop to see if the guy was back but no signs yet.
 
The coldness of the night and the light coming from the stars make her feel a bit drowsy. In a matter of a few seconds, she has already entered the dreamland.
 
In her dreams, she was already reunited with Jiyong. The president gave them permission to officially be together. The fans accepted them without any problems. A few still bear grudges but all is well. She smiled just to find Jiyong looking back at her. Their faces were closing in the distance and their lips almost met if not for a soft whisper she heard that woke her up.
 
“I don’t know if you can hear me, baby girl…” Jiyong whispered. “I love you… I really do…”
 
She almost gasps for air when she heard him confess. She wanted to cry with happiness when she heard him say those words again. How she misses hearing him say that. For the past few weeks, all she can hear from him was giving him another chance and non-stop apologies. She can feel him looking at her lovingly just like before. She wanted to let him know that she’s awake but she was too embarrassed to do so.
 
“…me too.” Dara muttered as she continued her pretense.
 
She heard him chuckle which annoyed her making her nose twitch in annoyance.
 
“I bet you’re having sweet dreams…” Jiyong said as he pinched her nose.
 
Seriously, this guy should stop pinching her nose. She was about to let him know that she was awake but was stopped as she felt his lips lightly touch her cheek.
 
“Baby, good night…” Jiyong whispered in her ears, bringing a thousand sensations in her.
 
After a couple of minutes of silence, Dara decided to gradually look up and see the reason behind Jiyong’s silence. A big smile curved on her lips when she found out that he was peacefully sleeping. Light snoring can be heard and this was probably because of exhaustion.
 
For a few seconds, she was mesmerized by him. She watched his nose move whenever he inhaled and exhaled some air. His lips quivered a bit because of the cold night. His eyes were closed comfortably, a sign that the boy has reached its limits.
 
Bit by bit, she found herself yearning to touch his face and caress his hair. Her eyes were filled with longing and sadness as she watched the guy sleeping. Unconsciously, she reached out for him and gently caressed his hair.
 
“D-ah… Hmm…” Jiyong muttered in his sleep.
 
Suddenly, she felt hot liquid falling of her eyes and then she realized it was tears. She didn’t notice that she was already crying from too much yearning for the boy in front of her. A whole new set of emotions flooded her heart. Right at that moment, she wanted to wrap her thin arms around his lean body. To give him warmth in this chilly night.
 
She misses him. And she knew it.
 
“I miss you…” Dara whispered as she continued caressing his hair. “You just don’t know how I miss you so much…”
 
She wiped off her tears and bit her lower lip before stopping herself from touching him. The feel of his hair and the warmth of his skin make her crave for more of it. And she doesn’t want it a bit. Not because of love or anything else.
 
It’s because she’s afraid. Too afraid to try again.
 
“If only things weren’t that complicated…” Dara mumbled.
 
-oOo-
 
The burning of the sun woke the mighty leader up. His eyes were blinded by the light that the sun radiates. He had to blink several times before he has gotten used to the brightness.
 
“Where am I?” Jiyong asked himself as his eyes surveyed the place where he woke up.
 
His brows furrowed when he realized that he was at the rooftop. He smack his forehead in disbelief and tried to recall what happened. He remembered going straight to the YG building to speak with Dara.
 
“Right! D-ah!”Jiyong exclaimed as if the answer has suddenly popped up in his mind.
 
He looked around to see if the older girl was still around but his hope has quickly died down. His eyes were filled with sadness and disappointment as he realized that the girl has left him here to sleep. His thoughts were filled with negativity that made his heart ache.
 
“Am I really that unimportant…?” Jiyong muttered to himself as he rest his chin on the table when he noticed a tissue tuck underneath the ashtray. He grabbed the tissue and read the note written on it.
 
“Watch out for my mitu update…” Jiyong read the note and was confused at what he read. Why does she want him to check out her update? Doesn’t she know that he always check it even without her asking him to do that?
 
As his mind comes up with different thoughts about the randomness of the note when he realized what it meant.
 
“The answer! Her answer!” Jiyong yelled as he suddenly stood up and knocking the chair along the way. “Fcuk! I need to go!”
 
He ran as if he was being chased by some psychopath. He had never ran this much in his whole life but for her, he can do everything. He just woke up but his energy was overflowing. He didn’t even bother greeting the people who had greeted him which surprise them.
 
In a flash, he managed to arrive at their dormitory and just his luck, he forgot the key to the door. Huffing and puffing, he leaned his tired body on the wall as he lazily knocked on it. Praying that somebody from the members were already awake or one of their managers would drop by.
 
One minute.
 
Two minutes.
 
Three minutes.
 
He was getting tired knocking on the door.
 
“Sheesh…” Jiyong cursed as he was about to slam his hand on the door when it suddenly flung open making him fall over. Thank goodness to the person who managed to catch him.
 
“Hyung… Careful…” Daesung uttered as he help out the older guy up.
 
“Daesung, you’re an angel.” Jiyong said as he gave the guy a tight hug sending chill on the younger guy’s spine. “I owe you one!”
 
“Eh?”Daesung asked as he saw the older guy dashing towards the room.
 
Jiyong immediately his laptop and connect it to the net.
 
“Thank heavens for the wireless internet!” Jiyong praised the convenient connection.
 
He signed in to his account and then looked up her name. His eyes widen when he saw the photo. His eyes have instantly zoomed in her finger.
 
“It’s the ring…” Jiyong whispered as if wanting to cry from seeing it. “She… she’s giving me the chance to prove myself again…”
 
He was so happy that his exhaustion from running too much has already disappeared. His thoughts were interrupted by a familiar phone ring.
 
“Hello?” Jiyong said with a goofy smile on his face.
 
“Jiyong-ah… Have you…” A familiar voice sounded on the phone making his smile wider.
 
“Yes… and thank you.” Jiyong said cutting off the girl’s question. “Dara-yah… I would prove worthy of you…”
 
“Promise?” Dara asked in her sultry voice.
 
“No.” Jiyong answered.
 
“Huh?”
 
“I don’t want to promise you anything… I don’t want to overuse the word too much. I’ll just show it to my actions…” Jiyong explained.
 
“Please…” Dara pleaded. “Don’t hurt me again…”
 
“I won’t…” Jiyong uttered in confidence. “I can never hurt my beloved girl…”
 
“Jiyong-ah… There’s something I need to clarify though…” Dara said as she tried to clear to get the attention of the person on the other line.
 
“Sure… What’s that?” Jiyong sweetly asked.
 
“I’m just giving you a chance… but…” Dara said as she left her statement hanging.
 
“But…?” Jiyong asked, feared for whatever she’ll be saying next.
 
“But it’s not like we’re together, together… you know what I meant, right?” Dara asked making the other guy in the line silent.
 
His fist was rolled into a tight ball and he can feel it hurting.
 
“Jiyong-ah…?” Dara called his name.
 
“Yes…?” Jiyong gritted his teeth as he spoke those words.
 
“You do understand, right?” Dara asked.
 
“Yes… Completely understood…” Jiyong answered.
 
“Okay… I need to go now…” Dara said as she hanged up on the phone.
 
“You still cannot trust me huh?” Jiyong asked the thin air as he was looking at his phone blankly.
 
-oOo-
 
Days have passed. Weeks have gone by so quickly. Months piled up. Everything changes except for the routine of the mighty leader. Jiyong has been courting Dara for quite some time now. The other YG family members were all in awe when they found out that the great Kwon leader has been pardoned and been given a chance by the older girl.
 
There was this one time when the girls have to go to the US for their US Album preparations and it was Jiyong who wanted to take the girls to the airport. But Dara declined.
 
“Dara-yah… Why can’t I take you to the airport myself?” Jiyong asked as he sits in front of the girl who was busy packing her clothes.
 
“Jiyong-ah… Didn’t I explain it to you already?”Dara answered and continued in busying herself.
 
“But… I can tell them not to shoot me if that’s your worry.” Jiyong tried his luck and even make a begging hand action.
 
Dara rubs her temple and sighed.
 
“No can do, Jiyong-ah.” Dara firmly said.
 
“But…” Jiyong protested. “You’ll be gone for quite some time… Let me do this now…”
 
“When will you ever give up?” Dara blurted out.
 
“Are we still talking about the same thing?” Jiyong asked, fear shrouded his mind.
 
“Yes. I’m talking about you taking us to the airport thingy.” Dara pointed out and flicked the younger guy’s forehead.
 
“I thought…” Jiyong mumbled.
 
“It’s not what it is…” Dara coolly said.
 
“I know…” Jiyong bitterly smiled and mope as the girl continued in packing her things.
 
Dara feels uneasy as she can sense Jiyong looking at her in a pleading manner and then would pout. She tried her best to ignore it but who can ignore this guy. Out of all the Big Bang members, no, out of all the guys she met, Kwon Jiyong was the most charming one that you simply cannot ignore his presence. Especially if he wanted your attention.
 
“Fine…” Dara finally said. “You still cannot take us to the airport… yourself.”
 
“I thought…” Jiyong mumbled again as he begins to look down and draw some figures in the floor. “…you change your mind.”
 
“What I mean was… you can be at the airport without being in the same van, right?” Dara pointed out making the once blue guy into a happy, jumping guy.
 
“Yes! I’ll trail you behind!” Jiyong exclaimed happily. “Damn those cameras!”
 
And so the night continues, Jiyong helping Dara out to pick which things to bring and watched movies as they waited for the time they’ll be apart. Dara has fallen asleep in Jiyong’s shoulder making the guy’s smile wider. Jiyong slightly combed some hair that was on her face upward and caressed her cheeks.
 
“I’ll miss you…” Jiyong whispered. “Stay away from the boys… dear.”
 
“I would…” Dara mumbled as she opened her eyes to meet his. “And I’ll miss you too.”
 
Jiyong’s face was as ripe as the tomatoes as he can feel her looking straight at his eyes.
 
“Just go back to sleep!” Jiyong yelled and trying to cover his red tinted face.
 
“Good night…” Dara whispered before she lay down on Jiyong’s lap. “Don’t go home, okay?”
 
Jiyong nodded and bringing Dara some smiles.
 
“Jiyong-ah…” Dara mumbled while her eyes were closed.
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Sing me a lullaby…” Dara requested as she tugged the younger guy’s shirt.
 
Jiyong nodded and started to sing ‘Butterfly’ making the girl sleep tightly.
 
-oOo-
 
It was already the time for his best friend to comeback as a solo artist. He has full confidence in his friend and his full support has been given until the he came to know the leading girl for the Music Video.
 
“Hyung… have you heard?” Seungri asked with a hyena-like grin plastered on his face.
 
“What?” Jiyong asked back and eyed Seungri.
 
“So you still don’t know hyung?” Seungri flashed another naughty smile.
 
“Would I ask you if I know?” Jiyong answered in annoyance.
 
“Should I tell you?” Seungri asked as if he was talking to himself. “Should I? Should I?”
 
“I’m going to count from one to three… If you don’t tell me what’s going on, you would really lose your parts in the upcoming album!” Jiyong threatened making the maknae’s panda eyes widen. “One…”
 
“Wait… Wait… Wait…” Seungri stopped the older guy from counting.
 
“Two…”
 
“Aissht….”
 
“Thr—“
 
“Fine! I heard that Dara-noona would be the lead girl for Youngbae-hyung’s music video!” Seungri yelled out.
 
“WHAAAAT?!” Jiyong’s voice thundered all throughout the room.
 
The next thing that happened was Jiyong invading YG’s office to know about the details. YG was not surprised when he saw the enraged guy demanding an explanation.
 
“HYUNG!” Jiyong yelled.
 
“Did Seungri tell you?” YG asked which made the other guy nodded. “Remind me to kill him later…”
 
“Don’t change the subject, hyung! Why?” Jiyong asked and waited for an explanation from the older guy.
 
“It’s Youngbae’s request…” YG answered calmly.
 
“But you shouldn’t allow it… I mean… we all know how he feels for her…” Jiyong reasoned out.
 
“I know. That’s why I agreed in the first place…” YG said.
 
“I thought you supported me for her… but why the betrayal?” Jiyong moped.
 
“Betrayal?” YG gasped. “It’s just a music video!”
 
“But all his music video involves his abs!” Jiyong childishly pointed out.
 
“So it’s all about the abs…” YG let out a chuckle. “Are you that insecure, leader?”
 
“What… no… Not really… I have those too… but in small sizes…” Jiyong stuttered and started ranting on stuffs like the gym and him were not meant with each other and so on making the older guy burst out laughing.
 
“Didn’t you hear from Seungri?” YG curiously asked.
 
“What more?” Jiyong asked.
 
“That you’ll be rapping in this song… Featured in this.” YG stated.
 
Jiyong’s eyes twinkled in happiness and grinned.
 
“Hyung, let’s kill Seungri.” Jiyong suggested making the older guy laughed again.
 
“I think that’s a really good idea…” YG agreed.
 
-oOo-
 
“What are you wearing?” Jiyong grumpily asked and pointed at Dara’s top with Youngbae’s face on it.
 
“A shirt?” Dara answered.
 
“But why… that… thing.” Jiyong stuttered and gritted his teeth as he pointed out the smiling face of Youngbae on her shirt.
 
“Ah, this is gonna be used for the MV!” Dara answered cheerfully.
 
“But you’ll be keeping it?” Jiyong asked.
 
“I guess soo...” Dara answered and shrugged her shoulders.
 
“Don’t…” Jiyong said.
 
“What?”
 
“Don’t keep that shirt… I’ll buy you a new one with my face on it!” Jiyong exclaimed making the older girl flustered.
 
“Aissht this leader!” Dara exclaimed.
 
They were always like this. Playful, sweet and bickering. Most of the family members have no idea whether the two has gone back together or not. They looked so blissful and happy whenever they were together. There are times when they would start their freaking jealousy battle making the other family members worry about them. They talk about everything under the sun except for one thing.
 
About the two of them.
 
-oOo-
 
It was the eve of Jiyong’s birthday and everyone was planning to surprise the guy. They have prepared some food and wine at the cafeteria for the party. They even enjoyed making the decorations for the party. Votes were put in and it was Seungri who would be the host for the party.
 
It has been about fifteen minutes and no Jiyong still. Everyone looks so confused and focused their attention the unknowing girl.
 
“What are you all staring at?” Dara asked.
 
“Dara-yah? Where’s Jiyong?” Bom asked.
 
“Uhmm… I don’t know. Should I always know his whereabouts?” Dara answered philosophically and earning a flicked on her forehead.
 
“Uhmm… why don’t you pick him up?” Se7en suggested and smiled meaningfully at Dara.
 
“Do I have a choice?” Dara asked.
 
“No-uh” Everyone answered immediately.
 
“Fine… You bullies.” Dara muttered as she picked up her coat and walked out of the room to picked up the missing dragon. She reached for her mobile phone and dialed his number.
 
A few rings but no one was still answering. After the eighth ring, he finally answered.
 
“Jiyong-ah… Where are you?” Dara asked.
 
“At some bar… drinking to myself…” Jiyong said sluggishly.
 
“What bar?” Dara asked worriedly.
 
“Oh, you know… the one where you once shoot a beer commercial… with that flower boy…” Jiyong said.
 
“Okay. Wait for me… Don’t go anywhere…” Dara said.
 
“I always do...” Jiyong said before Dara abruptly ended the call.
 
Dara hid her phone and hailed a cab then instructed it to go the said-bar. Her fingers were crossed as she hoped that Jiyong would not be in any trouble till she gets there. She sprinted right off as soon as the cab parked.
 
“Jiyong-ah?” Dara yelled as soon as she opened the door.
 
She thought that she would see a very drunk Jiyong but what she saw was a pitch black club and a dim lighted stage at the center.
 
“Jiyong-ah?” Dara called out as her hand was placed on her chest as if to calm her worried heart. “Jiyong-ah, are you still here?”
 
Her heart has almost jumped out of her chest as soon as a very familiar tune played in the background.
 
“I’m a person who never starts to apologize, I’ll shout even louder at you every time (here we go again)” Jiyong started to sing and then walked at the stage.
 
“Jiyong…” Dara muttered as she saw him pointed at the one seat available.
 
“There’s no way to stop our madness, I don’t know what to do, I don’t even know why we started this” Jiyong continued.
 
Dara watched and listened to him as he continued singing the song.
 
“I’m going crazy, crazy, In our love, we just going crazy” Jiyong sang the chorus with all his heart.
Jiyong finished one song and then he started to sing another song.
 
“It’s all about you… my butterfly…” Jiyong whispered and went down towards her side then kneeling as he continued singing the song he supposedly made for her.
 
Dara cannot help it but her tears have already come out. She tried to wipe it dry but it keeps on coming back. She cannot believe this is happening. She thought that he already gave her up. She thought he wouldn’t want her anymore. Every day is like going into torture and enduring all the rumors she was hearing. Then missing him whenever he wasn’t nearby especially when he was in Japan.
 
But he was here… With her.
 
“You don’t like my surprise?” Jiyong asked as he cupped her face and wiped her tears off. “D-ah…”
 
“No… *sniff* I like it… very much.” Dara answered in between tears. “It’s just…”
 
“Just what…?” Jiyong asked.
 
“I thought you gave up on me… I thought you don’t want me anymore… Maybe you thought I was trying hard too much to be hard-to-get… After all you are the great Kwon Jiyong… who has lots of fangirls and there are female celebrities that express their admiration for you…” Dara ranted. “Who am I to begin with? Just an old woman… from your past…”
 
“D-ah… Stop…” Jiyong muttered and his grip on her hand tightens. “Don’t say anymore…”
 
“No… I need to get this off my chest…” Dara continued. “All of this has left me thinking that we’re basically friends… This thought of mine has been solidified when I heard about the model… She was even wearing the same ring as you… A lot of your fans approved of her… And then you have distanced yourself… So I thought… I never expected this…”
 
Jiyong smiled weakly and intertwined their fingers together then looked at her.
 
“I never thought I would be able to love a woman like the way I love you now…” Jiyong admitted. “I can never even imagine my life now without you by my side. Every hate comments that you received hurt me more. Don’t ever think of this way….”
 
“But…”
 
“No buts… Plus it was me who was worrying all the time…” Jiyong confessed.
 
“Eh…?”
 
“A lot of male idols were confessing their love for you left and right… Not only idols, even athletes! I’m just going crazy every time I saw someone announcing to the world they love to be with you…” Jiyong continued. “When I can’t even tell the world how much I love you… how much I regretted for hurting you… how much I want to turn back time so that I can avoid making you cry…. And hating myself for letting you go…”
 
“Jiyong…”
 
“You’re one beautiful girl…” Jiyong said as he caressed her cheeks with his thumb gently. “You are someone that should always be cherished and treasured… So never look down on yourself.”
 
“Jiyong…”
 
“I love you… Even if it takes me forever… I would wait for you... Because just like what I’ve told you… No woman can come close the way you do…” Jiyong sincerely said. “You don’t have to answer me now… I just wanted to be with you during this special day… I mean, no pressure.”
 
“I still love you… and would always do…” Dara said in the softest voice and can be barely heard.
 
“Good… good… Wait… Did you just tell me you love me too?” Jiyong said with an obvious surprise on his face. “This is not a prank or something? Not because it’s my birthday?”
 
“Pfft!” Dara snorted and stood up then turned away. She was about to walk away from the surprise guy when he pulled her back and wrapped his arms around her.
 
“I love you… Thank you… for believing in me again.” Jiyong whispered. “I…”
 
“Ssh… No more promises… Just stay close and don’t go…” Dara abruptly interrupted. “That’s more than enough…”