Visits

Holding Onto the Memories

Min Jung strolled along the sidewalk. I've got the rest of the day for myself. She smiled to herself. Across the street, a little flower shop caught her eye. I didn't think this place was still open.

"Annyounghaseyo!" said a little girl from the counter.

"Annyoung! Where's your mom?" Min Jung asked.

"Omma! There's a customer!" she called towards the back of the store. Turning to Min Jung with a smile, she said, "One second." and ran off towards the back room.

Min Jung smiled. How she wished she could be that age again. She yearned for the simplicity of decisions. Where one would pick something based on the mere fact that it was pretty or sweet. How wonderful it would be, she thought gazing at a pink lily, to be carefree and ignorant again.

"I'm sorry I kept you waiting."

Min Jung looked towards the counter to find a young woman in her twenties. She had short, chestnut-colored hair. "Han Hye Gyo? Is that really you?"

"Min Jung-ah! You're back!" squealed the young woman as she rushed over to hug her longtime friend. "I missed you! I thought you were studying in New York. Why are you here?" she asked.

Min Jung hesitated. "It's...a long story." she said finally.

"Well we've got time." Hye Gyo said, motioning towards a little table off to the side.

"I can't today." Min Jung replied. "Today's that day," she added sadly.

"It is, isn't it? Funny how time flies. How long has it been since then? Ten years?"

"About that long, yeah."

"What kind of flowers did she like?"

"Unni, you've worked here for how long now? You still don't know which flower it is?"

"Yah! You're the only one who ever visits her every year. Not even your brother bothers to visit her. Do you think I'd remember after five years?" she asked, hitting Min Jung lightly on the arm.

"I was kidding." Min Jung replied with a smile. "And they were sunflowers."

"Kyung Mi, can you go get the yellow paper in the back room?" Hye Gyo asked, lifting the child off her lap.

"Yeh!" she said, speeding off towards her destination.

"How old is she?"

"Five." replied Hye Gyo. She glanced back with the loving affection that only a mother could show. "He asked me to marry him shortly after you left. It wasn't a big wedding. Just some family. I would've invited you, but you hadn't left any contact information."

"She's adorable." Min Jung said as she watched the little girl in her white shirt and overalls run back towards her mother.

"It was six sunflowers, right?"

"Yeah..." she confirmed. "Thanks unni." she said as she took the flowers from her friend.

"Say hi to her for me!"

"Don't worry, I will."

 

Doo Joon and Yo Seob arrived at the dance studio. Both gave an inward sigh or relief. The atmosphere between them had become extremely tense on the way back.

"Mi Ah said to practice what we learned today. Something came up and she couldn't come back for the rest of the day." announced Yo Seob.

"Yah, where's Hyun Seung?" Doo Joon asked the others.

"He said he had to go after he got a call from someone. He was really panicky after he hung up." replied Jun Hyung.

Doo Joon sighed. "Well, let's get back to practice then. He'll just have to practice when he gets back."

 

Min Jung slowly walked down the path holding the bouquet of sunflowers in her arms. She stopped when she reached her destination.

"Omma, how've you been?" she asked quietly. "It's been a while hasn't it? I'm sorry I couldn't come visit you these last five years. I've been away for a while." Min Jung gave a light laugh. "You probably knew that already. You never miss anything. I couldn't get Min Soo to come with me as always. Omma, please understand him. I'm sure he loves you a lot; he just doesn't want to show it. Omma," she whispered, wiping away the tears that had formed. "What do I do? I'm so miserable here." she managed to say before breaking down. "I don't know what to do anymore. How am I supposed to live with this? Sometimes I wish I could join you up there. Is it nice? I bet it is."

A warm light breeze swept past her, carrying with it the scent of strawberries. Min Jung gave a small smile as she closed her eyes and remembered the times she spent with her mother. She calmed down and set the flowers down in front of the gravestone.

"I brought these for you. They were your favorite flower, weren't they? Bright and cheerful just like you. Annyoung, Omma." She bowed and walked back the way she came.

 

--------------------------------------------------

I haven't updated in a while. Stupid tests. Sorry, there wasn't much of the guys in this one. Next one, ne? ^_~

Thank you for all who commented and subscribed. It's nice to know people are reading and liking this story. Be sure to check out my little spinoff story "Please Let Me Go" if you're interested. (Hyun Seung is the main character in it) Although I'm not sure if I want to make it a happy ending yet...

~Emylie ^^