Lies, tears, and more lies

Holding Onto the Memories

Yo Seob walked into the room and greeted the other members. He turned around to find her rooted to her spot.

"Why are you just standing there? Come in, they don't bite." he said, beckoning for her to join him.

"Yo Seob who are you talking to?" a voice called from inside. It seemed strangely familiar as it echoed in Min Jung's head.

"An old friend of mine. She moved back to Seoul," he responded.

Timidly, Min Jung walked through the door, sliding her sunglasses off. She quickly bowed and uneasily greeted them, shifting closer to Yo Seob.

A young man smirked, "I didn't think you had it in you to get a girl like that. I'm impressed." he commented.

"I-it's not like that!" Yo Seob stuttered. "I told you, she's a friend." Addressing everone, he put his arm around her waist, pulled her forward and announced, "Everyone, this is a friend I've known for a long time. Her name is -"

Min Jung pulled on the hem of his shirt. He looked at her with confusion in his eyes.

"Lee Mi Ah sumnida." she said, bowing once again. Doo Joon stared at her as her dark curls fell forward. The troubled expression on his face faded quickly as she straightened up.

"Right, well, Mi Ah, from the left, Yoon Doo Joon, Jang Hyun Seung, Yong Jun Hyung, Lee Gi Kwang, and our maknae Son Dong Woon."

"Doo Joon Hyung, let's take a break. We should get to know her a little more." Gi Kwang suggested.

Doo Joon sighed, "All right, let's take a break. Your focus is slipping anyways." Irritation flowed through him as he spoke. "I'm gonna get some fresh air." Grabbing a water bottle, he strode to the door, letting it slam as he exited the dance studio.

Ignoring the awkwardness of their leader's actions, everyone pulled up a chair and settled in a circle.

"So, Mi Ah-ssi, when's your birthday?" Gi Kwang asked as everyone sat down.

"December 21st." she quietly replied.

"How old are you?" asked Jun Hyung.

"20"

Hyun Seung commented, "I guess we'e all your oppas. Well, except for Dong Woon over here. Let's talk comfortably, yeah?" A nod of approval came from Min Jung.

"Mi Ah, where did you move from?" Dong Woon asked.

"New York. I was studiying dance at Juliard." she replied.

"Juliard?!" exclaimed the group.

"Wow, you must be really good. Can we see you dance?" asked Hyun Seung.

Blushing, she replied, "Um, maybe some other time. I'm not really dressed to dance right now."

Disappointment showed in each of their faces as she denied the request. And so the questioning continued.

"What's your favorite color?"

"Baby pink."

"What's your favorite food?"

"Kimbab."

"What's your favorite animal?"

"Tigers."

"What's your favorite flower?"

"Orchids."

 

Doo Joon figured it had been long enough for a break and decided to head back in. He couldn't help but remember Min Jung. That woman was almost identical. He was positive. He stopped as he reached for the handle.

"Who's your favorite member?" Jun Hyung asked.

 

Silence fell in the room. Eager faces looked back at Min Jung. Shifting uneasily in her seat, she said, "Um, everyone's my favorite?"

"But if you had to choose to go on a date with one of us, who would you choose?"

"I'd choose Yo Seob. He's always been there for me, so it'd be a way for me to pay him back." she replied, giving him a shy smile.

Silence engulfed the room once more. Everyone looked up as Doo Joon opened the door.

"Okay let's get back to rehearsal." he ordered. Groans erupted as everyone started complaining.

Symphony 40 echoed in the studio as Min Jung reached for the phone. "Hello? Oh, hi Doctor Freemont. Yes, I'm doing well. You need me to go back? Oh you're here. In Seoul? Okay. I'll be there soon. Bye." She looked up and saw everyone staring at her. "What?"

"That was amazing English." Gi Kwang remarked.

"Oh thank you. Well, I have to go now. It was nice meeting you all." she said as she turned to leave.

"It was nice meeting you too." Hyun Seung replied.

"Come back sometime. We want to see your dancing!" added Dong Woon.

"Come on, I'll send you to wherever you need to be." Yo Seob said, taking hold of her hand.

 

When they got outside, he turned around. "Lee Mi Ah?" he questioned sternly. "Why did you say that Min Jung?"

"I don't know. I panicked. I don't want Doo Joon to know it's me."

"Don't you think he would figure it out. He might not have been smart enough to keep in touch with you all those years ago, but he's not dumb enough to not recognize the woman he loved with all his heart."

"Loved? He had a funny way of showing it. Whenever I tried to talk to him at school, when he was at school, he would avoid me. He made up excuses, saying he was "too tired" or "too busy". Busy my . He never talked to me. Didn't send me text messages. No notes. Nothing. Then the next day, I walk into school and see him leaning in and kissing Hye Rin, hands all over her. Don't you tell me he loved me, Yang Yo Seob. If anything, I had just as much right to lie about who I am back there." By the end of her rant, her breathing was hard and tears were streaming down her face.

Yo Seob pulled her into him and hugged her tightly. "I'm sorry, Min Jung-ah. I had no idea." he said, kissing the top of her head.

"It's okay." she sniffled. "You can go back inside. I can walk to where I need to be."

"No, I'll take you there. It's not safe to walk around alone." he smiled. Min Jung always hated relying on others. It made him wonder why she ever depended on Doo Joon in the first place. What was so great about him? He was never really nice to her in the first place. Anger and frustration boiled in his blood as they walked down the street. "Where are you headed?" he asked, breaking the silence.

"You remember Auntie's cafe? She asked me to stop by for something before I headed home."

"Oh, okay. Maybe I'll get myself some cake while I'm there." he chuckled.

They walked in peace, finally reaching the shop.

"Well, I guess we're here. I'll see you later, alright? The guys probably think I've done something to you by now."

Min Jung smiled, "Okay. Thanks for walking with me Yo Seob-ah. You're the best." she finished, leaning up and pecking him on the cheek.

She entered the coffee shop and sat down. She looked out the window and watched Yo Seob's figure disappear into the crowd. When he was out of her sight, she got up with a heavy sigh and started towards the hospital.

 

--------------------------------------

That was a long update. Nothing's really been edited past halfway through this update. I decided to just go ahead and type whatever I could come up with. Been too busy reading books for English. Hope you liked it. Whoever you are. I've got 2 subscribers. Not sure if anyone else is reading this. Is anyone out there? [Echos] Right... =P