Unfolding the Mystery

Holding Onto the Memories

The table was silent as the members looked at each other. Hyun Seung broke the silence. "What just happened?" he asked.

"I'm not sure." replied Jun Hyung who was staring at the door in confusion.

"We should get back to rehearsal." Doo Joon said in an attempt to change the subject. "I'll go find the other two."

 

Doo Joon finally found the two at the park nearby. He was about to call out to them when he saw that they were talking about something serious. Quietly, he made his way to the tree next to them and hid behind it's trunk.

 "Min Jung-ah, what's wrong? Why'd you walk off like that? You'll make the others worry."

'So it was Min Jung all along,' he thought. He strained to hear the rest of it.

"Sorry Yo Seob-ah." she said almost inaudibly. "I shouldn't have come back here. This was such a bad idea."

Yo Seob turned her around and hugged her tightly. "Shh. Don't talk like that. I, for one, am glad you're back. How else would I get to see the brightest star in my sky?"

Min Jung clutched his jacket as she cried. "I've only been selfish all this time. I selfishly left without a word and hurt Doo Joon. Now I've selfishly come back and I've only hurt him more."

Doo Joon felt a pang in his chest. All this time he had thought that she was done with him. He thought she had moved on and decided to throw him away like trash. He leaned against the tree and tried to steady his breathing. Finally composing himself, he turned around and peeked at the two.

"Don't think like that Min Jung-ah. It makes me sad to see you cry." he said softly.

She looked at him as he brushed her hair away from her face and wiped her tears away.

"Oppa..." she whispered.

Yo Seob leaned in and kissed her gently on the lips. When she didn't push him away, he moved his hands from her face and placed them around her waist.

Doo Joon felt his heart break as he watched his fellow member kiss the young woman that was his girlfriend five years ago.

Min Jung's phone went off as they broke apart. "Yoboseyo?" she said as she answered it. "Oh, oppa! How are you? Dinner? Tonight? Ok, sure. Yeah I remember that place. Ok, well I'll see you then. Bye"

"Was that Min Soo-hyung?" Yo Seob asked.

"Mm," she replied, nodding her head. "So..."

"MinJungwillyoubemygirlfriend?" he asked.

"What was that? I didn't quite understand it."

Yo Seob took a deep breath before repeating, "Min Jung, will you be my girlfriend?" Anticipation hung in the air as he held his breath.

"Yo Seob-ah..." she said sadly. Disappointment filled his eyes.

"I get it. Why would you ever want to date a guy like me. I'm only best friend material. Not mature enough to be boyfriend material." he rambled. He averted his gaze to a random tree.

 

Min Jung glanced to her right. She felt as if someone was watching them. What was she to say? Yo Seob had always been there for her. More than her stupid ex-boyfriend had ever been. But I shouldn't hurt him any more than I have to. she thought. After it happens, I won't be able to see them again. She mentally scoffed at the irony.

"Yo Seob-ah, don't take this the wrong way. I'm sure there's a million girls who would want to date you. I just don't want a relationship right now." she replied. "Could you tell the other members to practice what they've learned so far? I have to do something today."

"Oh, yeah sure. No problem."

Min Jung walked away. Pausing, she turned around and asked, "Yo Seob-ah, we're still friends right?".

"Of course we are. Friends till the end. Didn't we agree on that?" he called back to her.

 

He watched as her silhouette faded in the landscape. Yo Seob looked over to where Doo Joon had been hiding. "How long are you gonna stand there?" he asked.

Doo Joon walked out from behind the tree. "When were you ever going to tell me that it was her? Why did you let her lie about who she was?" Anger started to rise in his voice.

"If you had paid any attention to her before, you would have known it was her without her ever saying so." Yo Seob replied coldly. "I can't believe you actually considered yourself to be her boyfriend. I spent more time with her than you ever did. We were both busy. How come you never called her? You could have texted her or sent her an email! You did none of it. You didn't bother to greet her or talk to her when we were at school. Do you know how many times I've had to comfort her because you couldn't act the part? How many times have I had to put up with the pain of hearing her cry about other guys while hiding how I felt about her, just so she could be happy? How much did she really mean to you, Doo Joon, that you couldn't even tell it was her." He breathed rapidly. It felt good to finally be able to let it all out.

 

Doo Joon couldn't face his friend. He was right. He had never been there for her when she needed him. Never bothered to contact her. He felt pathetic as his friend stood there glaring at him. What kind of man lets another comfort his girlfriend?

"Come on," Yo Seob said. "I'm sure the others are waiting for us at the studio. That's why you came here right?" Without bothering to wait for the leader, he walked off.

 

-----------------------------------------------

I couldn't think of what to write. >< I started typing, went to eat dinner, came back and poof. Any ideas I had vanished. Sorry if this chapter . ><