I Trust You

Holding Onto the Memories

Min Jung lost herself in the side mirror, aware of the periodic glances from her companion. She had tried to doze off, but her restless eyes were too eager to see again.

"Doctor Freemont, why do you keep glancing at me like that? I'm not going anywhere," Min Jung commented. Her soft voice broke the silence that had settled for the past hour.

"James," he said. "You can call me James. We're not in the hospital anymore. I'm not a doctor until I go back. So, call me James."

Min Jung shifted her weight and studied his face. "Why did you become a doctor?" she asked.

His eyes stayed fixed to the road. "Same reason you became a dancer. I liked it. I was accepted early for my high scores. I had an aptitude for it. It wasn't until I met you that I began to really like it though."

Min Jung stared at him, all words evading her.

He continued, "Until I met you, everyone else had been just another patient. They all had the same complaints, the same attitude, even the same personalities, it seemed. But then you came along. You were different. You gave me that hope that everyone out there is a fighter. Your spirit gave me something other than test scores and success rates to focus on. You made me want to genuinely help people."

He quickly glanced at her shocked expression. "I'm sorry. That was a lot to take in, even for me. I'll try not to do that again."

"I'm glad I could change your perspective," she replied. Her eyes glittered with appreciation. "It might take a while for me to be comfortable with calling you James, but I'll try my best."

 

Dongwoon stared at the stark stationary in Kikwang's hand. Confusion washed over him as his unsure hand reached for the other end of the envelope.

Her simple yet elegant scrawl was etched across the front. "Dongwoon" stained the neat paper.

"What does it say?" Kikwang asked, eyes glued to the paper.

His shaking hands turned it over and pried at the flap. His gut felt like iron as his fingers slid the letter out of its blanket. He saw wrinkles from dried tears, though he could not tell if it was hers or his own. Carefully, he unfolded the paper.

 

"Where are we going?" Min Jung asked, staring out the window. The whir of airplane engines grew deafening.

"It's a surprise," James replied, stopping the engine.

He unclicked his seatbelt and swiftly got out of the car. Min Jung watched as he jogged to her side and opened the door. He held out his hand and smiled. "Do you trust me?"

 

Dongwoon-ah~

Please don't tell the others about this. I want this to stay between us. It would kill Doojoon and Yo Seob if they found out. I don't doubt that they already know that I'm gone. I made it clear that I was taking a break after your comeback. I'm sorry I couldn't see it, but I'm sure you did wonderfully. I know this is selfish of me, and I shouldn't even be asking this of you. Keeping this a secret is only going to give you grief. Which is why I forgive you, should you decide to tell the others.

I won't disclose my current whereabouts, but know that I am safe. I will say, however, that I do not believe we will ever meet again. I promise to watch you soar to your dreams' content, and I will forever support you, but I cannot bring myself to face you guys anymore.

You have brought me many laughs and many tears. I am thankful for all you've done for me. I know this is selfish. I said it before and I'll say it again. I don't know if Doojoon told you about what happened before, but if he hasn't, I will leave it to him. I don't wish to tear you apart from each other. Just know, that it isn't his fault.

The first time I left, it was for my dream. I left so that I could become what I am today. Now, I leave because I can't take the pain anymore. Being around you all hurts me the most. I have yet to grieve for my brother, and I don't know if I want to. I needed to get away from Seoul, the city where all this pain in my chest exists.

Yo Seob asked me a while back if I would be his girlfriend. I don't believe I ever gave him a true answer to his question. I love him, Dongwoon. He made me realize how happy I could be. He was always there for me. But I don't believe I've completely moved on yet. My heart hurts everytime I see Doojoon. There's no way I can ever give either of them what they want, and it hurts.

Dongwoon, I know I'm asking a lot from you. But please, don't tell anyone else about this. Not even Kikwang, or Junhyung, or Hyunseung.

 

Min Jung looked into his warm eyes and smiled. She carefully placed her hand in his. "I trust you."

 

I trust you.

--------------------------------------

Hey guys! Finally updated. Sorry about that. This is my procrastination. I'm off to see a musical now. Hope you liked it! More updates in a few weeks, less if I'm lucky. Comment/Subscribe!

~Emylie<3