The Sound Manipulator

Hunt

Dowoon moves slowly towards the middle of hallway. He looks at either side--there's no escape--to his left, the men who had been knocked out were regrouping, Sungjin slung over the shoulder of one of them; to his right, the man had discarded Wonpil to the floor and was talking to someone on his earpiece as he eyes Dowoon intently.

Dowoon curses in his head. I won't let them take my brother and Wonpil hyung! I can do this... I can save them!

He observes the mercenaries. They're all wearing earpieces.

These idiots are going to regret what they've done. Sungjin hyung, Wonpil hyung, I wish I could tell you to cover your ears... I'm really sorry about this.

The deafening silence that follows causes the men to panic as they try to talk to each other but can't hear a thing. Dowoon then shifts his concentration to the earpieces and blasts the static noise to an impossibly loud volume. Immediately, the men fall to their knees scrambling to take off their earpieces. Two have fainted, ears bleeding. But the remaining four, including the man who attacked Wonpil, were quick enough, they were back on their feet in no time. Dowoon plays with the ambient sounds this time, removing and returning it to disorient them. Two more faint and one ends up vomiting. One to go. The man sways on his legs but refuses to fall.

"You little !" he shouts at Dowoon. "You know how we found out where you are?"

This catches the boy's attention, making his concentration falter.

"Your weak friend. What's his name? Young whatever it is."

Dowoon staggers and falls, weak from using too much of his powers. He does his best to stay focused as he sits up, leaning against the wall.

"We broke him, literally. His powers are so useless, he couldn't use it against us. He couldn't even heal himself. But it seems like his boyfriend loves him so much, he gave away your location for the weakling's life."

"Jae hyung..."

"That's right, him. Maybe he didn't hesitate to give it away because he hated you. Didn't you two get in a fight?" the man continues taunting him. "I must thank you for that."

Dowoon's vision blurs, tears welling up in his eyes. This was all his fault. If only he weren't so stubborn and made up with Jae at the cafe.

"H-Hyung I'm sorry," he cries quietly to no one.

"2 out of 5. Not so bad for my track record. Let's make that 3, shall we?" the man whispers boastfully in his ear.

Dowoon, fighting back the tears, gathers all his strength and screams, but the man had already predicted his actions. He swiftly covers Dowoon's mouth, bashing the boy's head against the wall in the process. Taking out a syringe, he watches with delusional glee as fear grows in the boy's eyes. Dowoon struggles to free himself from the man's grip, but it is all in vain as the needle finally pierces his skin.

"Collection complete."