Calm Before the Storm

Hunt

"What is it?" Sungjin tugs at the collar around his neck. "I don't remember-"

"You don't remember because they beat you up pretty bad before putting it on you," Jae explains. "It's supposed to stop us from using our powers."

"How did you know hyung?" asks Dowoon who's had first hand experience of being "stopped" by the collar.

"Because he watches too much movies, that's why," Younghyun answers instead of Jae, only to be glared at.

"It's just common sense, okay?" Jae defends himself. "I mean, I don't think this was made to make me look fashionable. It looks tacky as hell to me. It should serve some other purpose. Maybe it'll choke you to death." He playfully wraps his hands around Younghyun's neck and tickles him.

A glint of silver around Younghyun's neck catches Wonpil's eye.

"Wait... hyung, you have it too?"

"That means-"

"It didn't hurt. I didn't feel anything while I was healing you," Younghyun lies without a hitch.

"Are you sure hyung? Because Wonpil hyung and I experienced it. It was torture." 

Younghyun just nods, puts on a smile, despite the recollection of the pain he felt whenever he healed them. He keeps it to himself how he experienced the same physical and emotional pain the person felt, but with more intensity.

"I don't even have to read your mind to know that you're lying..." Sungjin shakes his head. "No one's going to use their powers from now on until we get this thing off, understood? You especially Kang Younghyun."

"Yes dad."

"Funny. I'm being serious, son." Younghyun and Sungjin roll their eyes at each other.

"Sungjin hyung's right, no one should use their powers. This thing is very scary... It messed up my visions. I thought my head was going to explode," Wonpil recalls.

"Then it must be different for each of us because I was hearing high pitched noises in my head."

"Wonpil, Dowoon you have more explaining to do," Sungjin demands. "How did Younghyun get here?"

Wonpil begins telling them about the shock from the collars and the sudden appearance of the portal.

"No way, you can create portals?!" Jae asks, unbelieving.

"I don't know how I made it. I mean I don't think I would have been able to do it on my own. Dowoon must have made it with me. I just concentrated on Younghyun hyung, and when I opened my eyes he was right there, across the room." He points at the thin crack on the wall.

"Jae hyung can teleport, Wonpil hyung can make portals, and I-I'm supposed to amplify powers... I wonder what the rest of us can do."

"Wait, wait, wait... Jae can what?!" Younghyun stares at Jae, mouth agape.

The older boy puffs out his chest boastfully. Younghyun tries is hardest not to burst out in laughter. If he only knew he looks like a-

"Hyung! You look like a baby bird!" Wonpil points out, completing Younghyun's thoughts. He even attempts to mimic Jae, making the room erupt in laughter. 

If there were an object he could throw across the room, Jae would have already risked getting shocked by his collar just to get back at Wonpil. He gets up but Younghyun holds him back, the sound of his laugh resonating across the room.

"So, how do you do it Dowoon? If you're the trigger, then what triggers you?" Younghyun asks their youngest member, when everyone's calmed down.

"I'm not sure, but the two instances it happened I... I think I felt compelled to protect."

"There we have it! We actually have hope," Wonpil says, clapping his hands together.

"It's gonna be tough though, we can't expect Dowoon to be beside the four of us at all times."

"That's not the problem right now. Even if he's able to use his powers, what are we going to do about these?" Jae tugs at his collar. "And Younghyun. It's only a matter of time before they find out he's missing. They'll surely come here to check."

"If they see all of us together. They'll just force him to use his powers on us," Sungjin adds.

Younghyun's heart drops. He had almost forgotten about the offer.

"Younghyun whatever it is you're thinking, we're not going to allow you to sacrifice yourself for the freedom of the rest of us. Do you really think they'll even set us free?

"I saw what happened Younghyun, everyone knows. Even about your real powers..." the leader says carefully. "We're not going to allow them to hurt you anymore. We're not going to make their evil plans succeed."

"Hyung... if I have to do it then-"

"No hyung!" Wonpil shouts.

"No one's going to be left behind Younghyun!"

"Can't you all just shut up for a minute?!" Jae raises his voice out of the blue surprising everyone. He's toying with his collar, eyes closed as if deep in thought.

"Dowoon, do you remember the emotions that triggered your new power?" There's something very odd about the way Jae is acting.

Dowoon nods hesitantly. 

"Wonpil! You jerk!" Jae charges at Wonpil.

Everyone gets up to break up the fight. Dowoon who was closest to Wonpil comes in between the two, trying to push them apart. There are hands everywhere--grabbing, shoving, trying to throw punches. The room is filled with noise until Jae disappears and teleports himself to the other side of the room.

Silence.

The sound of metal falling from Wonpil's hand to the floor resonates through the room.

More silence.

Jae pants heavily as he supports himself on the wall. The rest are holding their breaths.

"God that hurt." Jae rubs his neck, now free of the silver collar. "Dowoon, you okay?" He checks on the youngest.

Dowoon's too shocked that he doesn't reply. He did hear the same head splitting frequencies right before Jae teleported and it sure was painful but it was nothing compared to what the older boy had achieved.

"J-Jae... H-How?" Younghyun blinks back and forth from Jae to the silver collar on the floor which marked where the telekenetic-slash-teleporter was standing a few seconds ago.

Jae slides down to the floor still catching his breath, his nose now bleeding.

"Hyung! Are you okay?" 

"I'm fine, it was just that collar," he explains wiping blood off his nose. "Wonpil, sorry! Here! Dowoon yours too." He throws both Wonpil and Dowoon's collar at their feet.

"By the way, thanks for holding onto my collar Wonpil. I honestly didn't think any of that would work. That was some sheer dumb luck and superb acting, don't you think?"

The rest still haven't moved from their places, totally dumbstruck. Jae made it work, he actually removed three of their collars, and without casualties at that. Not only could he teleport himself, he could teleport objects as well.

"Dowoon, your powers are truly impressive! Thank you! I'm really sorry you had to go through that pain again," Jae finishes.

"Hyung! Do you realize you might have cut my head off?!" Wonpil finally speaks, holding onto his neck. "What if my entire head teleported with you?!" 

"That would have been better, actually." Jae snorts.

Wonpil who looks like he's about to cry runs over to Jae to hug him. "You're the best hyung ever. I love you!"

Jae tries pushing the boy off of him in disgust, but Wonpil had practically wrapped himself around the older boy like a snake on its prey.

Sungjin and Younghyun clear their throats simulatenously.

"Okay I'm not healing you anymore Wonpil," Younghyun crosses him arms.

"Congratulations Wonpil! You get to do all the chores at home," Sugjin says cheerfully. "My dearest brother, you are now officially free from your duties."

Dowoon cheers and soon the entire room is laughing once again.

"Three down, two more to go." Jae gets up and gathers Younghyun and Sungjin in front of him. "Do you trust me?" He asks with that smile of his that Younghyun wants to wipe off his face.

"Just don't get us killed please..." Sungjin sighs.

"Then let's get it!"