How Can I Say?

Hunt

"!" Jae curses when the door suddenly opens. He was just about to teleport when the guards barge in. He quickly sets up a protective barrier but it's too weak, still not having fully recovered from using his powers earlier. It takes only a few shots for it disintegrated, and the guards the are seizing the boys once again. 

Younghyun calls out to Jae as he gets dragged out of the room. Denied of his powers he's unable to do anything as a needle sinks into his skin. The last image he sees are of his friends struggling in vain. His vision blurs with tears, and then darkness.

++++++

"What do you want?" Younghyun glares at the man as he walks into the room.

He's back to being confined in the white room. He knew being together with the others was too good to be true and that their streak of luck was bound to be broken at some point.

The man rubs his temple as he talks. "Well you see, your tiresome friends aren't telling me the truth, so I came here to take it from you."

"You're not getting anything from me," Younghyun replies adamantly.

"Technically it's not me..."

The door opens and someone's dragged into the room. 

"...but your dear friend Sungjin. He volunteered to read your mind."

The guards take off Sungjin's collar and pushes him towards Younghyun.

"Go on then, use your powers on him. I won't even ask how he escaped. Just tell me how the collars were removed! Who did it?!" The man shouts impatiently. "Let me remind you, I know lies when I hear them. So don't you dare lie to me or I will kill your brother right infront of you."

"Hyung no," Younghyun pleads to Sungjin.

"I can't read his mind if his collar is still on," Sungjin tells the man, maintaining eye contact with his friend.

Younghyun looks at him in confusion, but then he understands the leader's intentions.

"Take it off!" the man orders the guards in frustration.

With Younghyun's collar removed Sungjin moves to place his hand on his friend's, but before he's able to do so, the man injects him with a substance.

"I don't trust any of you. I injected you with a little experiment of ours. It's supposed to make you feel extreme pain when you lie. You might be lucky enough to live after this," he whispers to Sungjin. "We haven't tried it on anyone else yet."

"Honestly we could have done it without any of your friends, you just needed to tell me the truth after all. But since you said please, I decided the little drama would be worth my while. Young boys with raging hormones and their admirable loyalty to one another. Let's see who's going to betray who." He ends with a sickening laugh.

Younghyun and Sungjin exchange panicked looks. 

"I also haven't forgotten your powers Younghyun, so I'm going to make you feel just a little numb so you won't be able to heal your friend when he attempts to lie." He signals the guards to inject Younghyun.

"Is there anything else I'm forgetting?" The man says in a creepily cheerful tone as Younghyun's head lolled to the side. "None? Well good. Sungjin if you may." He forces Sungjin's hand onto Younghyun's, triggering his powers.

"T-The one w-who r-removed the c-collars," Sungjin stutters. "None of us did it!" he forces out a lie and completely regrets it as soon as it escapes his lips. His body feels like it's being set on fire. He holds back the cry of agony he knows the man is waiting to hear.

I'm not going to give you the satisfaction, he growls in his head.

"I see, it's quite effective. Now if you would stop playing around and tell me the truth!"

"I-It's J-Jae," Sungjin finally blurts out. He pulls his hand away from Younghyun as he stops to catch his breath, clearly broken from having to tell the truth.

"Would you believe that! Jae was telling the truth after all." The man laughs. "You're doing well boy. Go on, tell me more," he edges.

Sungjin's on the verge of breaking. He can't believe he had just betrayed his friend, but he couldn't help it. All of it was becoming too much--the pain, the guilt, knowing all of this could end just by saying Dowoon's name. No.

"D-Do- Do-" Sungjin begins stuttering.

The man looks on in anticipation, not even bothered by the fact that Sungjin wasn't even touching Younghyun anymore.

Younghyun can hear the telepath's voice in his head, desperately begging for help and forgiveness. He wants to help Sungjin, stop him from revealing any more information, they can't find out about Dowoon. He tries, in his barely conscious state to communicate in any way possible, but the drug is too potent.

"D-Do... D-Don't make me do this please!" Sungjin chokes out, cheeks stained with tears. "W-We don't know how he did it," he braces for the burning sensation--he'd rather die than give out his brother's name--but when he doesn't feel anything he continues to lie. "Younghyun didn't see it. Nor did I!"

The man slaps him across the face. "I'm disappointed in you Sungjin. You've already betrayed the name of your friend, why are you still holding back?

"The serum is weak. I need it improved, stat!" the man orders on his phone.

"Bring this one back to his cell. No need to put on his collar. Younghyun here will be taking their powers very soon." The man smiles at Younghyun. "Starting with Jae."

++++++

"Hyung! What happened?" Dowoon hurries to his brother as he was brought back into their cell. "Did it work?"

"Dowoon we don't have enough time. I was able to persuade them to remove our collars. But I was forced to give away Jae's name." 

Sungjin shares with his brother his memories of the incident. 

"H-Hyung, a-are they're going to take me too?"

"No Dowoon. Not while I'm alive."