A Crack on the Wall

Hunt

Dowoon can't comprehend how he's supposed to be the reason why Jae was able to teleport. 

"I remember my mom telling me that we all have different levels of powers. Our advanced powers could come with experience, some need to be learned, while others just have to be triggered," Jae explains.

"That means-" Wonpil is cut short when guards enter the room.

They had completely forgotten about the other guard knocked out on the floor.

Each boy is subdued by a guard. However, they didn't seem to be there only to retrieve the fallen guard. Two more guards arrive approaching Dowoon.

Sungjin reacts instinctively. He easily overpowers his guard and runs to Dowoon, but he is quickly intercepted by two others who proceed to beat him up.

"No! Hyung!" Dowoon cries as he thrashes, trying to set himself free.

As Sungjin losses consciousness they raise him up by his shirt and put on a silver collar around his neck. 

"We expect everyone to cooperate if no one wants to get beaten up like him," one guard announces.

Dowoon curses at them. He attempts to scream only to be punched, blood beginning to trickle from the split on his lip. 

"Try doing that after we put this on," the man says putting on him a silver collar similar to his brother's.

They move on to Jae who had been eyeing the collar intently. Before they are able to put the collar on him, he throws the object across the room with his power.

"You are the worse one among your friends, you know that?" The guard grabs Jae by the jaw.

Jae spits on the guard's face and in return he gets stabbed with a tranquilizer. The guards put on his collar and leaves him to fall to the floor.

Wonpil isn't able to do as much as struggle as the last collar is secured around his neck.

"Keep it down," a guard warns them as they leave the room.

Dowoon quickly runs to his brother while Wonpil hurries to Jae.

"They'll end up killing him if they keep sedating him like this," Wonpil mumbles angrily.

"Sungjin hyung and Jae hyung have always been so headstrong. I wish I could be as brave as them," Dowoon says sadly, wiping off blood from his brother's wounded face.

Wonpil holds out his hand and Dowoon takes it, finding comfort in the familiar warmth.

"I wish Younghyun hyung were with us."

"Me too."

Suddenly both of them experience a shock around their necks. The following pain they feel are different. For Dowoon, it's a high pitched frequency coursing through his head. He crumples to the ground covering his ears to the nonexistent sound. For Wonpil, it's simultaneous visions of the past, present and future. There's too much going on that his head feels like it's going to explode. He cries out in pain praying for the visions to stop. 

It doesn't come as a surprise that their collars are supposed to prevent them from using their powers, but what puzzles them is why it was triggered when none of them were using their powers. 

Dowoon is the first to recover from the pain. Opening his eyes he sees a familiar figure seated on a chair right across the room. He rubs his eyes to make sure it isn't just a hallucination caused by the collar.

"H-Hyung..." He taps Wonpil's shoulder.

"Ugh, that was too much. My head," Wonpil murmurs rubbing his temple. 

Dowoon still hasn't stopped tapping.

"Dowoon you too? Are you okay?"

"H-Hyung... Over there...." He points at the wall.

Wonpil rubs his eyes vigorously. Did the wall break down? He can see the other side of the room. He can see-

"Hyung? D-Dowoon! That's Younghyun hyung!"

Both boys approach the wall slowly. Wonpil cautiously touches the wall and a rippling effect causes him to withdraw his hand immediately. 

"What is this?" Wonpil wonders. "I don't recall Younghyun's room being next door. I'm sure we rode an elevator at some point."

"Hyung I think it's a portal," Dowoon says, touching the rippling boundary.

"I don't understand what's going on, where are all these powers coming from? I mean I do recall thinking about Younghyun hyung before this happen, but-"

Dowoon avoids Wonpil's eyes.

"Could it be really you Dowoon? Perhaps you really do amplify our powers, triggering the stronger ones to manifest?" 

"I-I don't know hyung. But I felt the collar too. We must have been using our powers together to create that portal."

Wonpil peeks around the room through the portal. Younghyun is all alone.

"I don't know how long this portal is going to last but I'm going in there to save Younghyun hyung," he tells Dowoon. "Stay here and look after the hyungs, okay? I'll be right back!"

Wonpil enters the portal. He looks back and gives Dowoon a thumbs up. He quickly runs to Younghyun and doesn't waste any time removing his restraints.

Younghyun stirs in his seat, awakened by the unfamiliar sound of his bindings coming undone. He looks up to see Wonpil smiling at him.

"Wonpil! How? Oh my god!"

"I'll explain that later. Let's go!" Wonpil helps Younghyun towards the portal. 

"Hyung quickly!" Dowoon signals to them as he notices the portal slowly shrinking.

Wonpil and Younghyun makes a run for the portal, making it in time before it disappears, leaving a crack on the wall.

Younghyun hugs Wonpil and then Dowoon. Both boys, who had been hurt earlier, are healed.

"Dowoon, Wonpil... I-It's all my fault... I-I tried so hard, b-but I couldn't use m-my powers against them. I-I'm so sorry," Younghyun stammers, sobbing uncontrollably as he recalls how he was beaten up in front of Jae forcing the older boy to give away their friends' location. "I would have chosen to die," he adds. He had been so exhausted from all the mental and physical pain that he can't stop his tears from falling.

"Hyung don't say that!" Dowoon hugs Younghyun crying with him.

As the boys comfort each other, they finally get a chance to see their older friend's face clearly. They are appalled to see how battered Younghyun looks. His lip was split, there's dried up blood running down the side of his head, and his right cheek is badly bruised. Who knows how much more bruised he was under his clothes?

Younghyun looks around him and finds Jae on the floor, Sungjin next to him. 

"Jae! Sungjin hyung!"

Seeing how badly hurt Sungjin is, he gently touches the leader's face, healing the cuts and bruises. Sungjin wakes up, surprised to see Younghyun.

"Younghyun is that you? Is that really you?" Sungjin hugs Younghyun. "H-How did you get here? Oh my god, what have they done to you? You're hurt!"

"Hyung I'm fine," Younghyun replies with a smile. He tries wiping blood off his face.

"Wonpil's going to have to do the explaining to the both of us," Younghyun looks Wonpil who's pointing an accusing finger at Dowoon.

The mood in the room becomes lighter.

"Before that, let me heal Jae."

Younghyun moves to his best friend's side. He sits down beside him, carefully placing the unconscious boy's head on his lap. He looks at Jae with tears in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry hyung I couldn't protect you." 

As tears fall on Jae's face, he begins to regain consciousness. His vision is blurry but Jae doesn't doubt for a second who the person beside him is. He quickly sits up, his head colliding with Younghyun's chin.

"Ouch!" 

"That must have hurt hyung," Younghyun says putting his hand on Jae's head. But instead of taking the pain away, he ruffles his best friend's hair. "I'm sorry hyung but your head is beyond repair. It's hopeless. I tried-"

Younghyun suddenly stops joking. Jae is gazing at him, like they haven't seen each other in years.

"Younghyun!" Jae hugs his best friend tight.