You Are Not Alone

Hunt

The car somersaulted in the air before landing on the ground. The crunching sound of metal on concrete filled the silence of the night. Seated in the backseat was a woman who had her arms wrapped tightly around a sleeping baby.

"Y-Yeobo..." a man's voice called out weakly.

"Y-Yeobo! Oh my god! Yeobo!" The woman cried hysterically seeing her husband covered in blood, while neither she, nor their  son, had a single scratch on their bodies. 

"You have to get out yeobo! We have to go now!" The woman pulled at her husband's arm.

"M-My leg..." The man tried to move but his leg had been crushed underneath the weight of the dashboard. 

"No! Why didn't you protect yourself?! You could have-"

"There's nothing more important now than our son!" he shouted back making the woman fall silent. He breathed heavily as he gave up on prying his leg loose from the ruined car. 

He reached out for his son and the woman moved closer, tears streaming down her face. The baby was still sleeping peacefully amidst the chaos. He touched his child's face and kissed him on the cheek before addressing his wife.

"I-I'm so sorry I won't be there for the two of you. I won't be able to see him grow up... You'll be a wonderful mother to our son, no doubt. Younghyun... You will need to teach him how to use his powers, how to protect himself. Give me your hand."

"No!" the woman refused, stepping away. "We're going to raise him together. We're going to be a happy family. Please let's go! Use your powers! Get out of there! Please!" The woman cried helplessly.

"You know you're only lying to yourself! I warned you about the dangers of being with me. We won't be able to live a normal life as long as they're looking for me, as long as I'm alive... We tried. You know that. We tried..." the man said defeatedly. "Thank you, for loving me despite the person that I am. I love you so much. Tell Younghyun how much I love him too..."

The man pulled his wife in for a kiss. The woman reciprocated as she ultimately accepted her husband's powers, their powers flowing through each other's veins.

"It will take some getting used to, but don't be afraid to use my powers. You will find use for them.

"Younghyun... C-Can I hold him one last time?"

The woman placed their son in his arms and the child snuggled onto his chest, finding comfort in the warmth.

"If only I could have chosen not to pass on my powers to you. I'm so sorry to have brought this burden upon you. But you are not alone, your mother will guide you. You will become strong and powerful, just as your heart will be," the man whispered softly in his son's ear. 

"When he grows up, tell him he has the choice to destroy his powers. It is my final gift."

 

Younghyun wakes up with a start. I'm alive... But he isn't sure if he should be relieved to be. Where am I? He prays to be anywhere but the facility. He looks around, but his head starts to spin as his eyes adjust to the darkness. His eyes are stinging from his sweat or is it his tears? He tries to wipe them but then realizes someone's holding his hand.

"M-Mom?"

"Younghyun!" the woman quickly sits up. It's evident in her face that she hasn't had proper sleep for days. She cries hugging her son tight.

"Where am I?"

"You're safe now. You're home. It's over son, it's over."

"Home..." Younghyun savors the word, but then his heartbeat quickens. "Sungjin hyung! H-He was shot! Where is he? Dowoon-"

"They're all safe Younghyun. All of you are safe. They should be sleeping by now."

"Mom... I saw dad. I-I saw t-the man watching videos of our family. We were so happy..." Younghyun says, trying to recall everything he had seen, afraid he might forget them. "I-I also had a dream... The night he... h-he died."

"It wasn't a dream Younghyun. I wanted you to know what kind of person your father was. He loved you so much."

Younghyun buries his face in his mother's embrace as tears streamed down his face. "I'm so sorry mom. I shouldn't have talked back to you. I didn't realize-"

"No I should be the one to apologize. I'm sorry for lying to you Younghyun. I was just so scared to lose you the way I lost your father. I wouldn't know what to do if I lost you too."

"I love you mom."

"I love you too son, and so does your father."

Wrapped in his mother's embrace, for the first time in a long while, Younghyun finally sleeps peacefully.

++++++

"Can't we see him yet? I brought him melon milk, it's going to get warm..." 

"Then put it back in the fridge. He still needs to rest."

Younghyun can hear his friend's speaking in hushed voices outside his room. He sits up eagerly, ready to see them, until he remembers what he had done. He curls back into bed, hiding under the sheets.

"Boys, breakfast! Downstairs now! Move, move! Don't bother the poor boy." He recognizes that voice, its Jae's mother. He listens as she knocks on Jae's room calling him to come out for breakfast. 

Jae...

I won't forgive you for this Younghyun. 

A tear falls as he remembers his best friend's words. Knowing he hadn't come out of his room to try and see him like the others did made him even sadder.

"Not like I had any choice. I wasn't just gonna stand there and watch them die," he says to himself, sniffling. "Always so dramatic. He can hate me all he wants," he says with resolve as he removes the blanket over him in a huff.

"WHAT THE-" He yelps, when he discovers he isn't alone. Leaning on the wall across his bed, arms crossed lazily, eyes closed as if he were thinking hard, was his best friend, Jae. 

"Hyung... H-How long have you been in here? You scared m-"

"Dramatic? Always so dramatic?" Jae's eyebrows furrow.

Younghyun laughs nervously as he attempts to explain himself. "I didn't mean-"

"Do you know what dramatic looks like Younghyun?" Jae interrupts, his eyes wearing that look of contempt Younghyun always feared.

"Jae, I order you to stop whatever you're planning. Stop-"

"Younghyun your mom gave us back our powers," the older boy cuts him off matter-of-factly. "How do you think I got in here?"

"AAAAA!!! HELP ME!!!" 

"That's Younghyun!" Sungjin drops his fork when he hears the scream, and runs ahead of everyone to the boy's room. He bursts in through the door and regrets it immediately. Jae was sitting on top of something, hidden under the sheets. And by the sound of the screaming, that something was undoubtedly Younghyun.

"YOU NEARLY DIED AND YOU'RE TELLING ME I WAS BEING DRAMATIC! YOU SELFISH-" Jae stops when he notices everyone standing by the doorway, staring at him (and probably the thing underneath him too). He blinks back at them, holding up a pillow.

"Um... Yes! I think we should all go back now. Let's give these lovebirds-" Wonpil freezes. ! Did that just come out of my mouth? He quickly attempts to correct his words, "I-I mean our be-beloved hyungs need some privacy." He laughs animatedly as all eyes transfer to him, even Younghyun has peeked out from under the blanket.

"Man, I'm hungry..." Wonpil tries to escape, making his way through the crowded doorway. 

"I commend you for your bravery." Sungjin and Dowoon blocks the boy's path. "I offer you as tribute!" Sungjin pushes him into the room, Wonpil quickly scampering to the door, but it shuts in his face. 

"Jae, Younghyun don't make the food wait too long!"

++++++

"Who saved us?" Younghyun breaks the rather cheerful atmosphere in the kitchen.

"We did," Younghyun's mom answers putting down her coffee. "I was so scared that we were too late," she continues unnerved as Jae's mom comforts her.

"I was in touch with her Younghyun," Sungjin adds, handing him the note his mother left him that night.

Younghyun, I'm going to be away for a while. We're going to put a stop to those monsters who did this to you and your friends. I know you won't stay put and you'll probably be looking for ways to stop them too, but please, tell me your plans. We will help you. You are not alone.

"They told you everything about our plan, didn't they? But no one told me about this plan..." Younghyun stares as the note. 

"You had a lot on your mind then, we knew you'd disagree," Jae tries to explain.

"She's my mom-"

"You would've said no Younghyun. There's no point in denying it. You didn't even bother to read her note," Sungjin insists.

"Okay! So I was angry then! If you were in my place wouldn't you be?!" A pause. "But I regretted it, okay? I tried looking for that note... But I was too ashamed to ask any of you."

His mother holds his hand making him realize he had been holding onto his glass of milk too hard.

"Dear, we all had our faults. If I could, I would have changed the way I did things... But as they say, everything happens for a reason, and that's probably why we're all able to be together like this. You're all alive and that's what matters. I know it won't be easy for you to forgive me, but I hope time would heal the wounds in your heart."

Younghyun cries unable to contain his emotions any longer. "I'm sorry too..."

"Forgive me hyung," Wonpil looks at Jae with sad puppy eyes. He had been rubbing an egg on his cheek since they came down to the dining room.

"Shut up Wonpil! What even are you doing with that egg?! Do you want to get a real bruise to rub that on?"

"Eomonim! Jae hyung keeps fighting me!" Wonpil says out loud as he stands, about to run to Jae's mom.

"What are you, 5? You're grown ups! Sit down!" Sungjin scolds the two.

"Ne hyung..." Wonpil sadly returns to his seat, continuing to rub the egg on his cheek. Jae throws a fake punch at him and the boy nearly falls off his seat.

"Jae hyung..." Wonpil's expression suddenly turns stoic. "I-I had a vision..."

"Wha-"

Crack! 

Wonpil smashes the egg open on Jae's forehead, quickly scampering to the living room.

"I can see your future Wonpil... GET BACK HERE!"

Jae accidentally gets caught on Dowoon's earphone cord as he runs, making the younger boy's music player fall to the floor.

"YAH! WILL YOU STOP?!"

All eyes turn to the youngest.

"Yah...?! Did you just yah me?"

Dowoon flushes red. He flashes his widest smile at Jae, slowly getting up from his seat, before pelting towards Wonpil. 

"I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS DISRESPECT!" Jae shouts in frustration as the three go on a cat and mouse chase around the house.

"My babies," Jae's mother swoons. "I can't decide if you've already grown up or if you're still children... Can I bring Jae back home with me? I miss-"

"NO!" Sungjin and Younghyun reply in unison.

"Well then, I'll just pack my things and live with you boys instead. I'll cook and-"

"MOM!"

++++++

"Hey dad... I came by to say that I really miss you... I wish I could have known you more." 

Younghyun takes a deep breath. He already told himself he wouldn't cry infront of his father, but it's harder than he thought.

"Thank you, for my powers. I'm going to keep them after all, if it's okay with you. That means I won't be using your final gift..."

Younghyun draws his ability to destroy powers and transfers it into a rose, which he lays on his father's tomb.

"Dad, I don't think I'll be able to see you soon... But one day... One day we'll see each other again, until then please watch over me and mom. We love you so much."

"You okay?" Jae speaks softly beside him. The younger boy nods wiping the tears which welled up in his eyes.

"Thanks guys, for coming with me."

"We're always here for you Younghyun." Sungjin gives him a reassuring smile. "You ready?"

"Where to?"

"To our next adventure of course!"

"He means the new restaurant across the arcade! It's literally called Our Next Adventure. I'm salivating! I heard the chicken there is great!"

"Chicken and beer! Chicken and beer!" Dowoon starts chanting.

"Oh no you don't." Sungjin pulls his brother by the back of his shirt. "Who says you're of age? No one's drinking beer."

Wonpil laughs at him.

"At least I don't need to do chores at home anymore!"

Wonpil turns pale. Why did you remind him? He mouths at Dowoon, his face contorting with disappointment.

"Sorry Wonpil... Come on, let's drown your sorrows in coke, shall we?" Younghyun hooks his arm around the boy's shoulder.

"Let's get it!"