Safehouse

Hunt

Curtains were drawn over windows, light switches were left untouched as night fell, enveloping the apartment in darkness.

It was unnerving enough having to wait in fear, but the dark made it so much worse. Wonpil had tried to reason with Sungjin--at least keep a lamp on, sitting in the dark can't be good for anyone's sanity--but the leader insisted that they were safer that way. 

That's how Wonpil ended up volunteering as the lookout.

He peeks through the curtains for what seems to be the hundredth time, letting a bit of light spill into the room. It's already past midnight, past their self-imposed curfew, but there's still no sign of Jae and Younghyun returning.

"Hyung, they aren't coming home, not tonight."

It had taken Wonpil a lot of courage to finally say those words. Someone needed to set the wheels in motion, get everyone to start moving, literally.

He recalls Sungjin nodding his head the first time he suggested that they transfer and find a safer place to stay. He was expecting for them to start packing, if push comes to shove, hell, he was ready to run out the door with nothing but the clothes on his back, but nothing of that sort happens. 

"Wait... Maybe I can still find them." Sungjin tries not to sound too desperate, the empty glass of water in his hand looks like it would shatter any moment.

Sungjin takes a deep breath. He's going to give it another shot, again.

Hyung, sorry... It's the same voice, saying the same words. It's all the telepath ever hears whenever he as much as closes his eyes, remnants of Younghyun's last thoughts. He tries to push that memory aside, erase it if it were possible, stop it from hindering his consciousness to roam freely--so he can find Younghyun, so he can find Jae.

 

Before Sungjin had lost contact, Younghyun was insisting on saving Jae, while he was begging, pleading, for the younger to come home--he had to save at least of one them. But the boy just wouldn't listen and even started pushing him out of his head. That's when Sungjin panicked, his biggest mistake, because he could barely latch onto Younghyun's consciousness anymore, his nerves and anxiety getting the better of him. It was like a game of tug of war, and he was on the losing end. But he refused to give up, he had given all his strength for one last pull.

Younghyun!

"It's a lost cause." Wonpil had said out of the blue, in that ominous voice of his, the one he never has any recollection of.

It was the first time Sungjin ever hated Wonpil. He wanted to prove him wrong; that he could change the clairvoyant's visions if he tried hard enough...

 

Of course there's nothing he can do, because it's too late.

They're not coming home, not tonight. 

Wonpil's visions are always right.

"Hyung, you already did everything you can," Wonpil places an assuring hand on Sungjin's shoulder. "Maybe it's best for us to leave now, get ourselves out of danger. Then we can start finding them."

"Dowoon pack your things, we're leaving. Now." Sungjin orders his brother as he finally gathers his wits.

Dowoon doesn't respond, his eyes fixed on his cellphone, as if he were expecting a call. A call that wasn't coming, because Sungjin himself had turned the cellphone off--to keep people off their backs.

"Are you listening? Dowoon!" Sungjin raises his voice.

"Let me hyung..." Wonpil offers, afraid that there would be a repeat of the last time.

"Dowoon... I know what you're thinking. None of this is your fault. We’ll find them, we definitely will. But first we have to be on the move," he tries to reassure their youngest member this time.

This was supposed to be Younghyun’s job, making sure everyone's in their right minds. But with the older boy gone and the rest clearly shaken, Wonpil had taken it upon himself to do something to keep the group from falling apart.

Dowoon closes his eyes as if trying to shut everyone out.

"Know what I'm thinking? So you're a mind reader now too?" he finally speaks, emotions all over the place that his voice wavers.

Suddenly everything falls quiet, literally everything: from the television next door, to a car that was passing by out on the streets. Even Wonpil and Sungjin can't hear themselves.

Wonpil gives Sungjin a panicked look.

Dowoon you can't shut me out, you know that.

A sharp sound rips through the silence, making the older boys flinch. A "piss off" in Dowoon's language.

I know you're scared and a whole lot more. I am too. But none of this is your fault. If anything, it is mine. I'm the leader, but I can't even protect my own members. I'm so sorry... I should have tried harder. I should have been able to save them... But it's not too late, I will find a way to save them.  And Dowoon, I promise you, no matter what happens I will protect you with my life. I made that promise to mom and I'm going to keep it.

With that, all the sounds come rushing back. Dowoon looks at Sungjin with tears in his eyes. And, as if granted the permission, he lets his head fall onto his brother's chest as he continues to cry.

“We need to find them, hyung.”

“Yes. Yes, we will.” Sungjin hugs his brother, comforting him.

They stay that way for a while, until Wonpil interrupts them. "I'm pretty sure people felt that. It's time we get moving. I had a vision. It was our school, maybe we should hide there for a while."

"The school? Do you think there's anyone there who knows our real identity? Can someone from school help us?" Dowoon looks up at Wonpil with hope in his tear-stained eyes.