The White Room

Hunt

"Good you're awake."

Younghyun immediately recognizes the voice to be his captor's. He looks up at the man, struggling against his binds.

He had been falling in and out of consciousness, but if his memory still serves him right, this was already the third room he had been placed in since the incident.

The room is white and empty; there's nothing else in it except a lone chair in the middle where he's currently bound on. There's only one way to get out of there and he's seated right in front of it. He had been relentlessly trying to free himself from his restraints but as expected nothing would budge. 

"Are you done... struggling? It's getting very repetitive and boring. So much unlike your boyfriend Jae when I visit him. He's always able to move things around. Because of that..." He exaggerates a sigh. "I unfortunately can't meet him without sedating him."

This triggers Younghyun. He struggles more fiercely, screaming for Jae to be left alone.

"You're obviously in no position to order me what to do. Let's move on to more important things. Well you see Younghyun..." He pauses dramatically. "I know you're hiding something from us."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Younghyun replies stiffly, tired of the mind games.

"To keep you interested, let me put it this way. Your friends, there's only one way to set them free..."

"F-Friends?"

"You sound suprised." He chuckles. "I have acquired the seer and the brothers, thanks to you."

"No... Y-You're lying..."

"It was a team effort Younghyun. We couldn't have done it without you," the man mocks.

"LET THEM GO!"

"I AM TELLING YOU NOW AREN'T I?!" the man roars, his face now only inches away from Younghyun's. "I'm telling you now..." he repeats with an eerie calmness, "...that only your powers can save them."

The tiny sliver of hope in Younghyun's eyes disappears. His powers are of healing and empathizing. If that wasn't enough to set himself free, how much more all five of them.

"I don't understand what you're saying. My powers aren't that strong-"

Younghyun's words are cut short when a bound and gagged Wonpil is dragged into the room, the both of them meeting eye to eye. Wonpil's eyes widen with surprise, relieved to know his friend is still alive after what he had seen in his visions. 

"W-Wonpil..."

"Did you miss each other?" The man asks Wonpil, who could only struggle against the guards holding him.

"Let him go!" Younghyun shouts in anger.

Wonpil falls to Younghyun's feet as he is shoved to the floor. At the same time, the guards hold onto Younghyun as they unfasten one of the straps on his arm. The man grabs Wonpil by the hair forcing him to his knees. He pulls Wonpil's shirt by the neck and pulls it down revealing the boy's bare shoulder.

"Go on, put your hand on your friend. Don't be shy."

Both boys look at each other in confusion. Younghyun struggles persistently as his hand is extended over to Wonpil.

"What did you do to him? Did you hurt him? I will kill you all! You bastards!" He shouts at them as he tries to make sense of the situation.

"Ah now that... In the past I would have said it would be impossible for you to kill. But now that I know your real powers, I'd say anything is possible with you."

"R-Real powers?" Younghyun repeats nervously.

"Let me jog your memory for you," offers the man. He shoves Wonpil aside and moves behind the boy and continues to talk right by his ear, "Do you remember when you and Sungjin had a fight? He was teasing you for being weak, for having no powers. A switch probably flipped in that little brain of yours and you lunged at him. If his little brother hadn't been there then you would have probably beaten him to a pulp." 

Younghyun breaks out in a cold sweat. How does he know? Although he remembers that event clearly, he still can't understand where this was leading to.

"Of course you didn't feel any different, you were raised an empath after all. But did you know telepaths are empaths too? Think about it, has Sungjin ever manifested that ability?"

Younghyun isn't able to reply, he doesn't want to. He's trying to convince himself that whatever the man is saying it's all part of his dirty tactics. No one of it was making sense anyway--or was it?

"There's another one of course. Do you remember when Jae was badly injured during your P.E. class? You brought him to the infirmary and begged the school nurse profusely to attend to Jae. You must have even pushed her because she fell. But did you really push her? I don't think so." The man stops momentarily moving infront of Younghyun so he can see the boy's reaction to what he's about to say. "She fell because she was becoming weak, because you were taking her powers! Your school nurse was a mutant. A healer!"

Younghyun's heart is beating so hard it's ready to come out of his throat. He wants to vomit, to pass out. Maybe if he does, Jae would wake him up and tell him he was just having a bad dream.

"In case you didn't know, emapths can heal but not physical wounds Younghyun," the man presses on to the confused boy.

"T-That's not true! It can't be! My m-mom she's an empath! M-Maybe my dad's the healer..." Younghyun doubts himself, he hadn't grown up with a father, but even then, it was still a possibility. "They-"

"They lied to you! They were supressing your powers! They knew you would be dangerous!"

"Shut up! You're lying! Get away from me! Leave me alone!" Younghyun shuts his eyes not wanting his tears to betray him. He has never felt so confused and scared in his life. He wants the truth but at the same time he wants none of it. All he wants right now is to go back to before all of this crap had happened.

"I should really thank Sungjin for helping us gather all that information. Couldn't say he was completely cooperative though."

The man moves leisurely to stand behind Wonpil. "Why do you boys always wait for one of your friends to be hurt before you start following orders?" He kicks Wonpil on the back once, then a second time, then a third.

"Wonpil! No! Stop! Please!" Younghyun returns to thrashing in his seat as he watches Wonpil getting beaten over and over again, the boy letting out muffled cries each time.

"Here's my offer." The man walks over to Younghyun, raising the boy's chin so that they're seeing eye to eye. "The life and freedom of your four friends in exchange for yours... and their powers."