The Empath & Healer

Hunt

Just in time, before the needle could break his skin, Younghyun finds his keys in his pocket. With nothing else to defend himself with, he pulls it out and slashes the man across the face, eliciting a cry of pain from the mercenary as he clutches his wounded face.

Younghyun quickly pushes the man off him and gets on his feet.

"Jae!" He starts for the van until he realizes there are more men in his way. 

"Can't decide?" 

There's a new man in the crowd, this one standing out in an white ensemble.

"I'll give you two options. One, get in there quietly and spare everyone all the trouble," the man says, looking towards the van. "Or, two, my men drag your unconscious body in there after I personally make you feel the pain your friend went through."

"What do you want from us?"

"We were watching... Kang. Young. Hyun."

The way the man had enunciated every syllable of his name sent shivers down his spine.

"I have a feeling you'd be the type to be a healer, no?" the man continues.

Younghyun's breath hitches, his heart pounding uncontrollably in his chest.

"So I guess I'm right," he says when Younghyun doesn't react. "Interesting combination.

"I would love to see how your powers work on my friend over here. But these men wear scars on themselves like trophies. I would hate to take that from them."

Younghyun backs away slowly. Sungjin! They know! They know about our powers! he repeats in his head hoping that if his friend were reading his mind he would be warned of who they were up against.

He looks around, the escape route is wide open right behind him. Sungjin's right, if he saves himself, they'll be able to find Jae together. But how long is that going to take them?

"To hell with this!" His mind was made up, he wasn't going anywhere without his best friend.

"I see it's option two then." The man laughs as he intercepts Younghyun, grabbing him by the neck, squeezing hard.

As the boy struggles against his grip, the man feels a sudden surge of anger, laced with sadness and fear, not towards his captive but towards the mercenaries.

"What do you think you're doing?" He shoves Younghyun to the ground, kicking him when he tries to get up. "Weak. I expected more from you."

"Let my friend go!" Younghyun reaches out to touch the man, but the man just grins, as if amused, and steps on the boy's right hand.

Wincing in pain, Younghyun attempts with his free hand to grab onto the man's ankle but a strong kick to his side prevents him.

The man crouches down looking straight into Younghyun's eyes. "Is that really the best you can do?" he mocks.

"You won't win. My friends will find us. They'll save us," Younghyun says weakly but with determination in his eyes.

"No. It's more fun if we find your friends. And you'll be the one giving us the information we need." He grins, the syringe in his hand finally piercing the boy's neck.