Chapter 9

The Story of The King's Guard

Jae woke with a start, finding himself unable to move as he looked up at the darkness around him. He was confused as to what had happened to him, only remembering two wolves coming to rescue him before he had passed out from blood loss. He willed himself to wake up, as he looked at a speck of light in the distance.

Jae woke with a gasp and sat up, wincing at his sore shoulder. "Whoa there," came a voice beside him. "Your shoulder's still a bit sore," said Shownu as Jae turned to him. "Are you the ones who saved me?" Asked Jae as he noticed Kihyun sitting in a chair leaning on the back part of it as he watched Jae. "Mm," said Kihyun.

"How's your shoulder doing? I did what I could to heal it but it seems I was a little too late," he said. "Wait, you can use healing magic?" Asked Jae. Kihyun nodded. "Always been able to," he said. "I feel fine, but I don't know if I can use this arm again," said Jae as he tried to lift his arm. "Damn, I was too late then, the poison already made you lose mobility in your left arm," he said. "Are you left or right handed?" Asked Shownu. "Right handed," said Jae. "Well, at least you have your dominant hand," said Shownu.

"Who are you guys anyway?" Asked Jae. "We were with Wonpil's pack," said Kihyun. "We came this way because he said to go to you," he said. "We can't be here for too long, we still got rebels in the area," he said. "The owner of this building is letting you rest here but if you're ready to go then we'll go," said Shownu. "I think I'll rest a bit more," said Jae. "I've been in too many battles," he said. "We're on a limited time frame here," said Shownu. "We'll wake you when we really need to leave then," he said. Jae nodded and flopped back down onto the bed and passed out.

 

~



"I think Jae's gonna be okay," said Brian as his orb summoned by itself. "You think so?" Asked Sungjin as he looked at Brian. They were planning out how to take out the rebels as Dowoon, Minhyuk, Wonpil and Junhyuk went hunting. "Yeah," said Brian. "He can't use his left arm anymore, but he's gonna be okay," he said. Sungjin nodded.

"I think, when this is all over I want to go home," said Brian as he sighed. "To say one last goodbye," he said, looking up at the sky. "Me too," said Sungjin as he sighed. "Anyway, let's focus on this," he said as he looked at the map. Brian nodded and turned back to the map. "Okay so if the rebel group is here I think since we should know the town well I want to attack here," he said. "This used to be our old hang out spot, and I suspect they'd be there," he said.

Dowoon came over after a couple hours to see what they came up with. "Are they at our old hang out spot?" Asked Sungjin as he looked at Dowoon. "Yeah," said Dowoon. "Good, we attack that tomorrow," said Sungjin. "We got rabbits," said Wonpil as he walked over. "It's too bad Minhyuk scared all the deer away," he said, sighing. "So did you," said Minhyuk as he walked over. "Rabbits are fine," said Dowoon. "I can make stew out of that," he said before going inside.

"I think we head out tonight," said Brian as they ate dinner. "Why tonight?" Asked Sungjin. "They won't see us coming," said Brian. "Besides, it'd be easier on us, especially when we have the chance to get spotted with the giant puppy here," he said, pointing at Minhyuk. Minhyuk scoffs. "I can fight in human form too," he said. "I didn't just lead the pack you know," grumbled Wonpil. "They know how to fight in human form," he said.

"Are you afraid of being spotted by our families?" Asked Wonpil as he glanced at Brian then at Sungjin. Sungjin shook his head. "It's not that," he said. "You get to see your families," said Brian. "But ours are dead, well except for Joshua and his wife," said Sungjin. Wonpil cringed before sighing. "Well, we can go get Jae at least," he said. "After this anyway," he said.

At about midnight they headed out, Dowoon locking up his house before whistling for his dog who came running. "Junhyuk," he said as he leaned down to face his dog and attaching a pouch to his collar with a note. "I need you to find Jae," he said. "Got it?" He asked. When Junhyuk barked Dowoon smiled and pet his head. "Go buddy, we'll see you there," said Dowoon. Junhyuk raced off, going to find Jae.

"Let's go," said Sungjin as he slung his bag over his shoulder. "Let's do this," said Wonpil. They headed off to their home town, ready to face the rebel group.