Chapter 3

The Story of The King's Guard

Chen woke up Brian while Sungjin had jumped, hearing a noise outside. They prepared to leave the inn, careful as to where they would be stepping so that they wouldn't be heard or spotted by whoever had found them.

Sungjin had both his swords drawn and his bag on his back as he carefully sneaked around the side of the building to see who had come after them. Brian was prepared to launch lightning bolts at the enemy as he motioned for Sungjin to sit still for a second. "We can run," Brian signed to Sungjin who crouched low, re-sheathing his swords. Sungjin took a moment to think before nodding. "Distract them," he signed to Brian as he looked around for a way out.

Brian sent an electrical current through the ground and heading towards the people. When they had been distracted enough by the shocks of electricity to their feet Brian and Sungjin booked it out of town, heading down the road. Brian's orb summoned by itself and they followed it to continue their way towards Wonpil's territory.

They stopped somewhere to rest for a couple hours, leaning against a tree. "I don't know who they were but I'm glad we got out before something happened," said Sungjin. Brian nodded. "Chen kept saying that we had to go we had to go," he said. "So I figured it'd be something bad," he said.

"Where are we?" Asked Sungjin. "Erm," said Brian as he summoned his orb. "Chen says we're near a town, but that's back the way we came," he said. "I think if we follow the orb we shouldn't get lost," he said. "Key word shouldn't," said Sungjin as he slid to the ground. "You've been going without sleep again haven't you?" Asked Brian. "Mm," said Sungjin as he leaned his head back and closed his eyes. "I'll let you rest then," said Brian. "I had enough sleep," he said. Sungjin hummed in response before he drifted off to sleep. Brian kept watch, sitting down against the tree and having a conversation with Chen.

It was a little bit before sunrise and Brian was startled into moving when he heard footsteps. He crawled over and shook Sungjin trying to wake him up. "Wake up hyung!" Whispered Brian as he continued to try and wake him up. He could hear Chen growling in his mind as his orb summoned by itself. What's up Chen? He thought as he looked at his orb. Shock him awake, you need to go right NOW, came Chen's reply. Brian was careful as he let the electricity flow into his fingertips and touched Sungjin.

Sungjin woke with a start as he moved his arm instinctively to punch whoever woke him. "Ow," said Brian as he rubbed his cheek. "Sorry, what's up?" Asked Sungjin. "We need to go," said Brian. "We got people tracking us," he said. Sungjin jumped up, wincing at his sore neck from the way he had slept earlier. He rubbed his neck and grabbed his bag and swords. He quickly strapped the swords to his back and slung the bag over his shoulder before he ran with Brian following after him. The footsteps followed after them and got louder.

"Damn it," said Sungjin as they stopped in front of a river. "Look, it's the forest," said Brian as he pointed. Sungjin grabbed his map and looked for the river on the map. "Okay we're here," he said, pointing. They were aware of the footsteps getting closer as they examined the map quickly. "Do we risk going across?" Asked Brian. "I think there's a bridge nearby," said Sungjin as he looked at the map. "But where are we on the river?" Asked Brian. "Chen?" Asked Sungjin as he looked at Brian. The orb darted off in one direction so Brian and Sungjin ran after it.

"There's the bridge!" Said Sungjin as he pointed when they saw the bridge coming. Brian looked behind them. "We got wolves chasing us!" Yelled Brian. "Distract them!" Said Sungjin. Brian turned, skidding to a stop as he slammed his hands into the ground. He felt the electricity burst forward and towards the wolves. Sungjin drew one of his swords, daring the wolves to step forward as the wolves backed away. "These guys were following us the entire time?" Asked Sungjin. "No, these guys started following us when I had to shock you awake," said Brian.

A roar was heard, and Sungjin whirled around and he and Brian stood back to back. "I think we have more company," said Brian. "No duh," said Sungjin as he reached behind him to grab his second sword. A polar bear stepped forward, stepping onto the bridge before charging towards them. "Oh crap," said Sungin as he quickly sheathed the first sword before twisting around and grabbing Brian and shoving both their bodies to the side and out of the way as the polar bear reached them. It went passed them, standing in front of them as if to protect them as the wolves rushed forward.

"Wonpil?" Asked Sungjin as he pushed himself to his feet. The polar bear snorts, before slamming a paw into the ground, an orb appearing beside it and ice spikes shooting out of the ground and towards the wolves. The wolves back away from the ice spikes, snarling before running off.

"Damn it Wonpil!" Said Brian as he got to his feet. "What a way to make an entrance," he said, slightly out of breath as he laughed. Wonpil turned around, baring his teeth in a grin before motioning for them to go across the bridge. Sungjin and Brian walk across the bridge with Wonpil following behind them.

Once across the bridge Wonpil moved forward to lead them to the camp his pack was currently residing in. Once they arrived at the camp Wonpil went straight to his tent and went to change and put on some clothes before coming out of the tent with a grin on his face. "I knew you were coming, those wolves have been at war with us a lot recently," he said. "Really?" Asked Sungjin as he tilted his head to the side. Wonpil nodded. "They've been more active lately when news of the King's murder reached this side of the kingdom," he said as his expression turned serious.

"I was lucky with Chen letting me know something was happening when it came around," said Brian. "I was able to stop the civil war from even starting down south," he said. "East has it the worst," said Wonpil. "Xiumin says that Jae's doing what he can but we need to stop things here before going to get Dowoon and then go to Jae," he said.

"I know you came here to ask me to help you go stop this civil war, but I need to stop things here first," said Wonpil as they gathered around the campfire to sit down and eat breakfast. "I'm helping," said Sungjin. "Me too," said Brian. "And when all this is over, I am going to see the twins," Wonpil said with a chuckle. Sungjin scratched the back of his head. "Sure," he said, smiling a bit. "It'd be nice to get the gang together again," said Brian as he looked up at the sky.