Chapter 1

The Story of The King's Guard

Joshua once asked Sungjin what his greatest fear was and his response was to lose the ability to use his sword wielding hands. He had become one of the very few people in the kingdom to dual wield swords, and to lose the ability to use the swords would leave him defenseless.

That was why now, when he stood backed against a rock face somewhere in the northern side of the kingdom, panting and out of breath with his swords dropped on the floor beside him, his arms rendered useless that he actually felt fear. He stared at Chan who aimed his crossbow at him with Hoshi growling and daring him to move. He closed his eyes, anticipating the death as everything around him faded to black.


Sungjin woke with a start, sitting up with a gasp as he looked around his room. He had gone to bed late last night, having stayed up late to take care of Jongdae and Chanyeol, who had both come down with a fever. Luckily Joshua had come home last night to help Sungjin with the kids, but even then Sungjin couldn't go to bed until late because things had come up like rent. He let out a sigh as he got up and went into the kid's room because he heard Chanyeol wake up.

"Hey buddy," Sungjin said as he picked up the younger of the twins, bouncing him around and smiling at Chanyeol. Being a single father of 2 was hard, but he managed. Joshua and his wife Rose were great help in watching the twins when he was off doing things for the king. He just wished that the others would return to the capitol soon, he missed his best friends Brian and Jae, but he had become close to their youngest, who had become like a son to him.

"You're a great father Sungjin," came Rose's voice as she entered the room. "Linzy would be proud," she said as she watched Sungjin play with Chanyeol. Sungjin smiled some. "You really think so?" He asked. Rose nodded. "Where did Joshua go?" Asked Sungjin as he put Chanyeol back in his crib before going to check on Jongdae. "He was called to the palace late last night, something apparently happened," said Rose. "Hm," said Sungjin as he nodded. "I'm going to get ready for the day and head to the palace," he said. Rose nodded. "I'll keep an eye on the twins," she said. "Say hello to her for me if you stop there today," she said. "I will," said Sungjin before he left the room and went to get ready.

After he got ready he grabbed his two swords and put them both on sheathes on his back in an x before going to grab a coffee. "I'll see you later Rose," he called before he left out the door, heading to the local cemetery.

Sungjin stopped by a flower shop on the way to get flowers for Linzy before going to the cemetery. He went down the familiar path to Linzy's gravestone, stopping in front of it. He smiled a little at the stone before leaning down and putting the flowers in front of it, letting his hands brush over the name carved into the stone. "You should see the twins now," he said with a chuckle. "They were sick but they seem to be getting better," he said. "I know I'm a day late on bringing flowers but the twins got a fever and I had to pay rent," he said, scratching the back of his head as he moved away.

"Sungjin-hyung," came a familiar voice as Sungcheol walked over. "Hey Sungcheol," said Sungjin as he turned to Sungcheol. "You're needed at the palace," said Sungcheol. "What happened?" asked Sungjin. "You didn't hear about what happened?" Asked Sungcheol. "No, I was working at home late last night," said Sungjin. "The king got assassinated," said Sungcheol as he looked serious. "What?" Asked Sungjin as he looked surprised. "The queen wants you to go see her," said Sungcheol. "I had an alibi last night, Joshua was there," Sungjin said in protest. "Sorry hyung," said Sungcheol. "I'm going I'm going," mumbled Sungjin as he said his goodbyes before heading to the palace with Sungcheol behind him.

When they entered the throne room Sungcheol went to stand with the others with Sungjin kneeling in front of the Queen. "Your highness," said Sungjin. "I understand that your twins were sick yesterday," said the Queen. "Yes they were," said Sungjin. "Joshua and his wife were with me last night to help me with the twins," he said. "As Joshua had said what had happened when he went home last night," said the Queen. "Your alibi is checked out, but now there's a civil war starting," she said.

"I need you to go and gather the other members of the guard," she said. "Because of the civil war, the others are doing what they can to stop it but it's Jae that is having the worst trouble right now," she said. "The idiot was the only one to go that way alone," grumbled Sungjin as he sighed. "I understand," he said. "The most trouble will be in the eastern side of the kingdom," said the Queen. "You must gather the others and stop the civil war before it reaches the capitol," she said. Sungjin nodded. "Go pack, you will leave in a couple hours," said the Queen. Sungjin nodded and bowed before standing and leaving the room.

Joshua met Sungjin outside, running up to him. "Be careful hyung," he said. "I will," said Sungjin. "You take care of the twins alright?" He asked. "Will do," said Joshua. "I know Chanyeol will miss you, but he's always been a daddy's boy," he said with a chuckle. Sungjin laughs. "No kidding," he said. "I wish I could go with you, but we're stuck here," said Joshua as he sighed. "It's alright," said Sungjin. "I'll try and be back as quickly as possible," he said.

"Who are you going to see first?" Asked Joshua. "Who else but Brian?" Sungjin asked. "Oh jeez," said Joshua. "I know he can help," said Sungjin. "I might as well go see him, I owe him a visit, he wants to see the twins," he said. Joshua nodded as they reached the apartment. "Rose," called Joshua. "I'm in the kitchen," came Rose's voice. "I'm being sent out," said Sungjin as he walked into the kitchen. "What about the twins?" Asked Rose. "I can trust you to take care of them?" Asked Sungjin. "I will," said Rose. "I'll keep things in check here," said Joshua. Sungjin nodded and headed to his room to pack and get ready to head out.

Sungjin stood at the gates with a bag slung over his left shoulder and his two swords strapped to his back. He looked out beyond the gates, hesitating for a moment. "It's been a long time since I was sent outside the capitol walls," he mumbled to himself before he checked his bag to make sure he had everything. Once he had everything he checked his map to make sure of the destination and headed south, towards the southern outpost.