Chapter 21

The Story of The King's Guard

After the base had been destroyed the others made quick work to get rid of the smaller camps, everyone fighting in Sungjin's honor. They would take his guitar pick back to their hometown. They all made sure everyone else made it as the civil war finally ended. When they destroyed the final camp N and his friends went back across the border, waving to the others. Brian knew if they needed them again, all they had to do was cross the borders.

"Ready to finally go home?" Asked Wonpil as he helped Brian pack up the cart. "Definitely," said Brian. Jae came over with Sungjin's swords strapped to his back. "I'm ready," he said. "You know," said Brian as he turned to Jae. "From behind you do look like Sungjin-hyung," he said with a small smile. Jae laughs, pushing up his glasses. "Too bad we have different colored hair, otherwise I could pass for him," he said.

Dowoon came over with his dog, packed and ready to go. "Well, let's get back to the capitol," he said. "You two coming with us?" Asked Wonpil as he turned to Shownu and Kihyun. "Nah, we'll go across the borders, have a safe trip back," said Shownu. Minhyuk nodded, his tail wagging as Dowoon attached the rope of the cart to Minhyuk's harness. He had decided to stay with them, being the one to tow the cart back so Wonpil could get some rest.

"Alright, we're ready to go," said Dowoon as he tested the harness before hopping onto Minhyuk's back. Brian hopped into the cart and Jae helped Junhyuk into the cart before getting into the cart. Minhyuk howled in goodbye at Shownu and Kihyun before he took off, making a u turn and going back towards the capitol.

There was a small party of people waiting at the capitol gates when they reached the capitol. The twins were 2 now, and Brian noticed how much time really did pass after everything. "Wow, weren't they infants when Sungjin came to get us?" He asked. "Has it really been 2 years of civil war for us?" Asked Wonpil as they spotted Joshua and the others. "Apparently," Dowoon called back as Minhyuk came to a stop in front of the gates, his tail wagging at Mingyu.

"Welcome back guys," said Joshua as he gave a warm smile. He didn't bring up the subject of Sungjin though he glanced at the swords on Jae's back. "My the twins have grown!" Said Brian as he hopped down from the cart and went to pick up Chanyeol. "You've become a big boy now!" He said as he spun around, Chanyeol laughing. He set Chanyeol down and looked at Jongdae.

"Well, the queen requests your presence as soon as you're settled down, you're welcome to stay at our apartment," said Joshua. "Alright," said Jae. They headed into the capitol after Dowoon took the rope off Minhyuk's back and Minhyuk went to change before coming back in human form dressed.

Once they were settled down and had some food Jae and the others headed to the palace. "Welcome back everyone," said the Queen. "Joshua has kept tabs on you, I'm sorry about what had happened to Sungjin," she said. "He was a great leader, and you pushed through to the end even after everything," she said. "Thank you your highness," said Jae as he bowed.

"Permission to go back to our old home town to say our final goodbyes?" Asked Brian. "Ah right, you were all from the north," said the Queen. "You may," she said. "Put everything to rest, send my regards to Sungjin when you go say your final goodbyes," she said. "We will your highness," said Jae. Everyone bowed before leaving the throne room.

Brian was packing up his things and spotted an old photo from a few years ago. He smiled at it when he realized who all was in the picture. Sungjin was in between Jae and Brian with his arms over both their shoulders with Wonpil beside Brian and Dowoon beside Jae and everyone was smiling. Junhyuk was sitting in front of them, panting.

"That was his favorite picture," said Joshua as he walked over. "I can see why," said Brian. "This was when we had gotten into the guard, Junhyuk was a year old back then," he said with a chuckle. "Do you mind if I take this with me?" He asked. "Sure," said Joshua.

"You have his guitar pick right?" He asked. Brian nodded, bringing out the leather strap from under his shirt. "I left mine at my parent's graves, but Jae let me wear the necklace, he has the swords," he said. "Say hello to our parents for me," said Joshua. Brian smiled softly. "Of course," he said before grabbing his bag and walking out the door to meet Jae and the others at the gates.

Sungcheol met them at the gates. "I'm sure this may be the last time we'll see you," he said. "So goodbye, I guess," he said. Jae smiled slightly as he took off the sword sheathes from his back. "Give these to Jeonghan," he said. "I know Sungjin would want him to have them," he said. "Tell him to pass them down to the next guards," he said. Sungcheol nodded, taking the swords from Jae.

Wonpil and the others were ready to go, as he was dragging the cart north this time since he knew the path from the capitol. He would go as far as his body could carry him and then he would switch with Minhyuk. Jae hopped into the cart with Dowoon on Wonpil's back. Junhyuk was in the cart with Jae and Minhyuk. "Alright," said Dowoon. "Let's go home," he said, and Wonpil ran forward, following the familiar road home. Jae waved back at Sungcheol until they were out of sight.

They reached their home town, being welcomed with open arms. Someone had let them know that they were coming back and had marked a spot for Sungjin's grave.

Jae and the others stood in front of the spot the townsfolk had marked as Sungjin's grave to say their final goodbyes. "Well, we brought you along," said Brian as he took off the leather strap with Sungjin's pick attached to it. He put the strap on the cross, letting the pick hang off it. "Goodbye," said Brian before he moved back. Jae stepped forward with the picture, which was now in a picture frame, and put it in front of the cross before taking off the leather strap that held his guitar pick and hanging it on the cross. "Goodbye Sungjin," he said simply before moving away. Dowoon and his dog were next, Dowoon simply brushing his fingers over Sungjin's name on the cross and leaving an arrow there for him. "Goodbye hyung," he said before moving away.

Wonpil was next, and the others gave him some privacy as Brian went to his parents graves to say his final goodbyes and Minhyuk went with Jae to wait for them at the gates to the cemetery. "Hey hyung," he said. "I know I'm supposed to say goodbye but," he said, sighing. "I think we'll head east and leave the kingdom," he said. "I wish you were here with us," he mumbled. "I'm going to stay strong for you hyung, all of us will," he said. "Goodbye then," he said, brushing his fingers over Sungjin's name before standing and going to join Jae and Minhyuk at the entrance.

Brian stood in front of his parents graves. "I told you I'd be back didn't I?" He asked, smiling slightly as he reached over and took the necklace off the grave. "This is my final goodbye to you then," he said before going to Sungjin's parents graves. "I hope you don't mind me coming to say goodbye for Joshua," he said as he stood in front of the gravestones. "You'll be proud of him, and your grand kids, I know you will," he said with a chuckle. "Goodbye then," he said, before making his way back to Sungjin's grave.

"I know I left my guitar pick at my parents grave hyung, no need to nag me," he said as he stood in front of Sungjin's cross again. "This is my final goodbye, I promise," he said, hanging the necklace on the cross before stepping back. He went to join the others at the gates.