Chapter 16

The Story of The King's Guard

Sungjin recovered quick for the most part but malnutrition kept him from being at 100%. Wonpil had done everything possible to keep him fed, neglecting his own needs and couldn't recover fully because of it.

Jae was frustrated that he couldn't move his hand. He had gotten movement back in his own arm but he couldn't move any of his fingers or his hand. What kind of help would he be if he couldn't do anything that required two hands? He felt the most useless right now, even Sungjin and Wonpil could function normally with less energy.

Brian came over and put a hand on Jae's shoulder. "We'll try again," he said. "Kihyun can look for a weak spot this time," he said. Jae sighed. "I... I just hate that I wasn't there sooner," he mumbled. "It's alright hyung," said Brian. "We all do," he said.

Junhyuk, Minhyuk and Dowoon had gone into a town across the borders with the cart to see if they could trade any of their supplies for food, or new clothing. Sungjin was happy that he had gotten his swords back and was practicing with each one, testing his strength and stamina to see how he would fare in the long run. Wonpil was testing his fighting in animal form against Shownu to see what long term effects the malnutrition did to his strength and ability to fight.

Kihyun came over after checking to make sure Sungjin was okay and sat beside Jae. "Okay, give me your arm," he said. Jae lifted his arm and Kihyun grabbed it, letting the healing magic do its thing to detect the weak spot. "Try here," said Kihyun as he let go, letting Brian grab it and send a shock to the spot. "Ow," said Jae as he flinched, his hand closing into a fist as he yanked his arm back. Brian looked surprised. "Sorry," he mumbled.

Jae shook his head and tested moving his wrist and his hand. He unclenched his fist, testing his fingers. "Well, that worked then," he said. Brian beamed. "I knew it!" He said. "Now, go get some sparring practice in with Sungjin-hyung," he said. Jae stood, and went to see if he could start a sparring match with Sungjin.

Jae and Sungjin used sticks instead of their real weapons as Sungjin took off his sword sheathes and laid them on the ground after re-sheathing both swords. "You sure you want to do this Jae?" Asked Sungjin. "I haven't sparred in so long, and I think we need to test your stamina somehow," said Jae as he shrugs, pushing up his glasses.

"Alright then," said Sungjin as he decided to go with one stick for now instead of two. "Let's go," he said as he launched himself at Jae, immediately going for the offensive. Jae was forced to block those blows with his two sticks as he was pushed back. "Seriously? Not fair now!" Said Jae as he pushed his body forward to push Sungjin back. Sungjin laughs. "Well, I never said I'd play fair did I?" He asked with a smirk as he jumped back before swinging his stick. "Yeah yeah," grumbled Jae as he went on the offensive, careful as to not push Sungjin too hard in case he collapsed.

Brian and Kihyun watched the spar both sighing at the childish way those two were acting before turning their attention to Wonpil and Shownu's fight, which was just ending.

Wonpil was exhausted but he didn't like losing. He gave into this loss this time because he could feel his legs buckle under him as he collapsed. Shownu stopped the fight immediately, skidding back in surprise before changing and running to Wonpil. Brian and Kihyun ran over, Kihyun grabbing some pants and throwing them at Shownu.

Wonpil changed back to human form, just laying there in the dirt on his stomach. "Sorry, I guess I overworked myself," he grumbled as he rolled over. Shownu sighed and helped Wonpil stand before Brian helped Wonpil get some pants on and helped Shownu bring Wonpil back to the camp and sitting Wonpil down on a log.

It was close to dinner time when Dowoon came back with Minhyuk and Junhyuk and the cart. "I brought back dinner," said Dowoon. "And some clothes," he said as he pointed to the cart. "Good, with the amount of clothes those 4 are shedding every time they change it's a good thing you got more," Brian said with a chuckle. Minhyuk huffed, bumping Brian with his snout as Dowoon untied him from the rope that had been dragging the cart. Junhyuk went to lay down and wait for dinner as Dowoon went to cook dinner. Minhyuk went to change and put some new clothes on.

Sungjin had collapsed right where he was, causing Jae to run over. "Are you alright Sungjin?" Asked Jae. "I'm fine," said Sungjin. "I'm just tired, I think I overworked myself again," he said. Jae walked over and helped Sungjin stand, going to grab the swords and headed back to camp with him. "You overworked yourself too?" Asked Wonpil from his spot on the log. "Mm," said Sungjin as Jae had him sit down beside Wonpil.

"So," said Dowoon as they ate dinner. "When do we want to tackle the biggest rebel base in history?" He asked. "Soon," said Sungjin. "The sooner we get this over with, the quicker we can go home and have a proper rest," he said. "I say within the next couple days," said Brian. "That means resting for you two," he said, pointing to Sungjin and Wonpil, who nod.

"Huh, I thought you'd be more against the idea?" Asked Jae. "We know our limits, and we pushed ourselves a lot today," said Wonpil. "I think it's safe to say that we earned this rest," he said.

"Can't wait to go home," mumbled Sungjin. "I miss the twins," he said. Dowoon smiled slightly. "Hey, we get to go home and see the twins," he said, shrugging. "All of us," said Minhyuk as he nodded. "And then, we can go and say goodbye," said Brian as he looked up at the dark sky above them.