Chapter 2

The Story of The King's Guard

Sungjin took his time getting to the southern outpost, though it was still a fast pace. He knew that Brian knew he was coming so he took his time. He didn't know what he was going to do now, but this was something he needed to do. He spent many years being loyal to the king, and wanted to prove he wasn't the murderer.

He reached the southern outpost in about 3 days, looking up at the guards at the outpost gates. "It's me Sungjin!" He shouted. "Tell Young K that Sungjin is here," he shouted to the guards. He stood there, waiting a few minutes before the gates finally screeched open with Brian standing in the entryway with a grin on his face as he saw who it was.

"Hey hyung," said Brian as he went over and gave Sungjin a hug. "I'm going to guess that Chen let you know I was coming?" Asked Sungjin as he hugged Brian back. "Yeah," said Brian. "I'm glad you decided to call me Young K," he said with a chuckle. "Dude, you're always Brian to me," Sungjin said with a snicker. Brian groaned as he turned and walked into the outpost. Sungjin walked after him.

"So the king was assassinated huh?" Asked Brian as they went into the mess hall to get some food for Sungjin. "Mm," said Sungjin. "Apparently I'm needed to go get everyone to stop the civil war from spreading to the capitol," he said. "Jae's the only one who has trouble right now," he said. "Because he didn't go with anyone else," said Brian. Sungjin nodded. "At least Wonpil had a pack but even Dowoon is by himself with his dog," he said.

"Do we get everyone else and then go to Jae or do we get to Jae first before getting everyone else?" Asked Brian. "Wouldn't be easier for us to get everyone then go after Jae?" Asked Sungjin. "I'm sure he can handle it on his own for a bit, he's been doing so for years now," he said. "Hyung, this is Jae we're talking about here," said Brian as his expression turned serious. "Who knows if he'll even be alive then," he said. "Wouldn't Chen know?" Asked Sungjin as he got a tray of food and went to sit down. Brian sighed and went to sit in front of Sungjin.

"When do you want to head out?" Asked Sungjin as he ate. "I don't know," said Brian. "It'd be nice to finally leave here," he said. "Plus I mean come on, I gotta see the twins, especially after Linzy died," he said. "Is Joshua helping at least?" He asked. Sungjin nodded. "I was home a lot prior to a couple days ago," he said. "But a few days before I left the twins got sick," he said, scratching the back of his head. "I had to make sure they were okay before I left," he said. "Rose is taking care of them right now," he said. "Joshua's wife?" Asked Brian. Sungjin nodded. "I'm going to be so home sick as time goes on," he said, sighing. Brian managed a smile. "At least the gang is back together again," he said. "True," said Sungjin as he chuckled.

"I can't believe you want to leave already," said Brian as Sungjin mentioned that he was ready to go. "I want to get everyone quickly before going to get Jae," said Sungjin. "The quicker we get to him the quicker we can end the civil war," he said. "I assume you stopped things here before they even started," he said, turning to Brian. Brian leaned against the wall. "Pretty much," he said. "Chen saw it coming so," he said, shrugging. "Does he know who killed the king?" Asked Sungjin. "He does, but he wants us to find out who it is," said Brian. "Save the kingdom and we'll get our answers, were his words," he said. "Ever so cryptic," Sungjin said with sarcasm as he sighed. "Well, go pack up," he said. "We'll stop somewhere along the road," he said. Brian nodded and went to pack.

Sungjin and Brian stood outside the outpost looking at Sungjin's map. "Well, Chen says that we should get Wonpil first, then loop around to get to Dowoon," he said tracing a path to get to the other members of the team with a pencil. "Once we get Dowoon and Junhyuk we can take back the eastern border by storm and hope that by then Jae is still alive," he said. "And Wonpil is here while Dowoon is there and Jae is roughly in this vicinity," he said.

"Ready to travel old man?" Brian asked Sungjin with a smirk. "Hey, I may have been stuck in the capitol but running errands while trying to take care of twins has kept me running around so I am in shape," said Sungjin as he chuckled. "What about you?" He asked. "I'm in shape don't worry," said Brian as he chuckled some. "Alright, let's go then," said Sungjin as he slung the bag over his shoulder. "Let your orb lead the way then," he said. "Sure," said Brian as he summoned his orb. "Lead the way then," he said, as the orb darted forward. Brian and Sungjin followed after it.

They stopped in a town just before dark, wondering how close they were to Wonpil's territory now as Sungjin checked into an inn and checked his map to see where they were now. "Did we get anywhere closer to Wonpil's territory?" Asked Brian as he came over. "Not really," said Sungjin. "I suspect we still got another couple days before we even get to the border between yours and his territories," he said. "Because we're here," he said, pointing. "And we still got another day's travel before we get to the forest that's here," he said, pointing. "And at the edge of that forest is the start Wonpil's territory, where his pack mostly resides," he said.

"If Chen says he's around here then we'll see him sooner than later, if his pack doesn't come after us first," he said. "His pack knows me," said Brian. "I went to visit often, because we were both orb users," he said. "Well, even before then when we were still in the capital we'd hang out a lot," he said. "Hm," said Sungjin as he nodded. "And I'm sure that his god Xiumin knows about our arrival too, and he let Wonpil know," he said. "That too," said Brian.

Sungjin laid in his bed in their room they had rented for the night just staring up at the ceiling. He couldn't sleep for some reason, he just couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong.

"You awake hyung?" Asked Brian as he turned his head to look at Sungjin. "Mm," said Sungjin as he turned his head to look at Brian. "What's up?" He asked. "Something is wrong here, but I can't figure out what," said Brian. "We should take turns sleeping then," said Sungjin. "I'll keep watch first," he said. "Alright," said Brian as he turned over and fell asleep. Sungjin sat up and just closed his eyes, meditating.