Chapter 14

The Story of The King's Guard

Wonpil and Sungjin were surviving the best they could, rationing out the food and though Wonpil needed the food to keep his energy up to take care of Sungjin he gave most of the food to Sungjin.

"Wonpil, you need to eat too," said Sungjin as Wonpil spoon fed him again. "It's alright," said Wonpil. "You need to eat and get better," he said. "You need to conserve your energy too," said Sungjin. "I can afford to skip a couple meals, I'm still recovering," he said. Wonpil sighed. "Fine," he said. "At least eat this last bite," he said. Sungjin nodded and ate the last spoonful before Wonpil took the tray away and devoured the rest of the food. Sungjin let a tired smile appear on his face before he leaned his head back and closed his eyes.

Wonpil finished eating and turned to Sungjin, noticing he had passed out again. He was hesitant on waking him to make sure he wasn't dead as he listened for breathing. When he didn't hear breathing he went to shake Sungjin awake. "Hyung? Hyung!" He said as he shook Sungjin. "Come on don't die on me!" He said as he laid Sungjin down and preformed CPR. "Stay alive hyung! Stay alive for me!" He said. "Don't die on me damn it!" He yelled as he continued to perform CPR.

 

~



Brian jolted awake and sat up, looking panicked. "Oh no," he said, rushing out of the tent he had been resting in. "Guys!" He called, causing everyone to rush to the middle of camp. "We need to act quick, I don't think Sungjin-hyung is going to make it," he said. Jae cursed loudly as he went to grab his things. "Leave camp here, we're going for them," said Dowoon and Minhyuk. "I'm going with you," said Brian. "I roughly know how to get to them," he said. "I'm coming," said Kihyun. "If they're both injured I can check on their injuries," he said.

"Jae, I need you to stay here with Shownu," said Brian. "They need someone to come back to if we don't make it," he said. "Don't say that damn it," said Jae as he turned to Brian. "Come back for us," he said. "Don't die," he said. "We all made a promise to go back when this is over, this means no one dies, got it?" He asked. When Brian nodded Jae nodded. "Good luck," Jae said gruffly before turning away and walking over to Shownu.

Minhyuk and Kihyun stripped and changed, stretching and shaking out their fur. Brian hopped onto Minhyuk's back while Dowoon told Junhyuk to stay there before hopping onto Kihyun's back. Brian summoned his orb. "Go find them Chen!" He said to it. The orb darted forward and with a howl Minhyuk pushed his body to follow after it. Kihyun wasn't used to having Dowoon on his back but after a minute he was running beside Minhyuk, heading towards the rebel base.

 

~



Jae was 10 when he came to this town from the capitol. He knew no one, and didn't pay any mind to them. He got work on Sungjin's family's farm and knew them but he didn't converse with them. He wasn't shy at all, he was just somewhat of an introvert since his parents had died. Instead of going to an orphanage he took the week long journey to this town in the northern part of the kingdom with what little money he had.

He had gotten done with whatever work he had to do today at the farm when Sungjin came outside with his brother and a kid that Jae never caught the name of though he was sure that they had mentioned his name a few times.

"Oh! Jae-hyung," said Sungjin as he spotted Jae. Jae gave a shy wave before wiping his forehead. "Didn't know mom had you come in today," said Sungjin. "I just finished my section," said Jae as he shrugs. "Cool, we finished ours a little earlier," said Sungjin as he smiled slightly. "Come on! We're going to our spot," he said before grabbing his arm and dragging him off the property and down the street. Joshua and Wonpil shake their heads but follow after Sungjin.

After spending the day playing at their hang out spot Jae had become good friends with the trio. "Come by for dinner sometime Jae," said Joshua as he grinned. "I will maybe later this week, it was fun today," said Jae as he scratched the back of his head. "Good!" Said Sungjin. "See you around Jae-hyung," he said before running back home with Joshua and Wonpil following after him.

Jae turned and noticed a familiar face watching from the shadows. "Oh, it's you again," he said. Brian walked over and shrugged. "How come you didn't join them?" Asked Jae. "I don't know, Jooheon says they're lame," said Brian. "Don't let them make you think that, they're good people," said Jae. "Come on, your mom's probably calling for us," he said before walking back to Brian's house with Brian walking after him.

 

~



Brian got Minhyuk to stop as they came upon the camp with guards ready to attack them. "Okay, this may be difficult," he said. "You think so?" Asked Dowoon as he withdrew his bow and grabbed an arrow from the quiver. "How good are you on arrows?" Asked Brian. "Pretty low, but I can manage," said Dowoon. Minhyuk whined a bit. "Don't worry," said Dowoon. "We can do this," he said.

"Destroy everything and get them out?" Asked Brian. "Destroy everything and get them out," said Dowoon as he urged Kihyun around to provide an distraction as Dowoon launched arrows at the guards at the gates. Brian rubbed his hands together to gather the electricity in his hands. "I won't shock you but," he said, urging Minhyuk forward. "Let's try something new here!" He said as he clapped his hands, bringing lightning down onto the camp.

Dowoon had Kihyun do a sweep around the entire camp again, to see if they could get any supplies. When it was clear Minhyuk howled and Kihyun ran into the camp ready to take down any remaining rebels as Dowoon hopped off his back. Minhyuk ran in after him with Brian and they went to find Sungjin and Wonpil.

Dowoon refilled his quiver and grabbed a cart once they were sure it was clear, attaching the rope to Kihyun and packed up the cart to bring the extra supplies back. He spotted Sungjin's swords and strapped them to his back behind his quiver before throwing the bow over his back. "Sorry if this is too much but," said Dowoon as he checked to make sure the rope was secure. He had a spot for Sungjin to be laid down on as he tied down the boxes of supplies as Minhyuk came out with Wonpil on his back passed out and Brian carrying an unconscious Sungjin.

"He's not dead yet," said Brian. "But we need to go right now," he said. as he put Sungjin in the cart. Dowoon nodded and hopped into the cart to make sure Sungjin wouldn't be jostled around as Brian got onto Minhyuk's back behind Wonpil who was hanging onto the harness.

Brian summoned his orb. "Let's bring them home," he said as the orb darted forward. Minhyuk ran after it and after getting adjusted to the rope around his neck Kihyun followed after Minhyuk, going slightly slower to not jostle the cart around too much as they headed back to their camp.