Chapter 11

The Story of The King's Guard

Jae was forced to run with Shownu and Kihyun when the rebels found where they were hiding. The house owner wished them luck as Kihyun and Shownu changed, letting Jae climb onto Shownu's larger wolf form's back and hang on. Shownu nodded as he looked back at the house owner before running off with Kihyun sprinting after him.

Jae could only hold on with one hand, though he leaned down onto Shownu's back to not be jostled around too much as Shownu tried to make the journey as smooth as possible. They couldn't go towards the capitol so they ran towards the border of the kingdom.

"I think we're good," said Jae when Shownu stopped, panting. Kihyun stopped beside Shownu as Shownu leaned down to let Jae off his back. Jae took the bag off his back and tossed it at Shownu's feet, turning to let them change back and put some clothes on. "We were lucky they didn't come after us right away," said Shownu as he scratched the back of his head once he was dressed. "I never found out if they were headed this way or not yet," said Jae as he looked up at the sky. "I'm sure they'll send something our way," said Kihyun. "Mm," said Jae.

They heard barking, and Jae turned towards the sound as Shownu and Kihyun get ready to change. "Don't," said Jae as a smile crossed his face. "I know that bark anywhere," he said. He whistled, and Junhyuk came running. Junhyuk tackled Jae as he fell onto his back, laughing. "Hey buddy!" He said. "It's been a very long time," he said, scratching Junhyuk behind the ears as he was assaulted by .

"He's got a note," said Shownu as he checked the pouch on Junhyuk's collar. "Well that's good news," he said as he read the note. "Hm?" Asked Jae as Junhyuk moved off him and Jae sat up. "What's up?" He asked. "They're finally coming for us, and to let you know that Brian and Sungjin's parents are dead," said Shownu. Jae's expression turned serious. "It had to have happened when that famine hit a few years back," he mumbled. "But, at least we know they're coming now," he said.

 

~



Brian called for Minhyuk to stop as his and Wonpil's orbs summoned by themselves. "What's up?" Asked Sungjin as Wonpil came to a stop beside Minhyuk. "Junhyuk made it to Jae safely I'm guessing," said Dowoon from behind Brian. "Yeah," said Brian. "You still good behind me by the way?" He asked as he looked back at Dowoon. "Mm," said Dowoon. "The river should be coming up ahead," he said. "Just keep going along the trail and we should hit it in a couple miles," he said. Minhyuk nodded and started running again at Brian's encouragement with Wonpil running after him.

Once they reached the river Minhyuk and Wonpil drank from it while Sungjin, Brian and Dowoon hopped off their backs to give them a break for a bit. "You've been quiet hyung," remarked Dowoon as he observed Sungjin. "I have a lot on my mind right now," said Sungjin as he turned to Dowoon. "We're here," said Brian as he walked over. "If you need to talk," he said. "Thank you," said Sungjin as he forced a smile.

"Hyung," said Dowoon. "You'll be alright," he said, putting a hand on his shoulder. "We'll make it through this and and we'll be able to come back, all of us, to say goodbye," he said. Wonpil and Minhyuk come over, both nudging Sungjin and knocking him over. Sungjin laughs as he pet the both of them. "Alright alright," he said. "Is the harness giving you any mobility problems?" Asked Dowoon as he went to Minhyuk. Minhyuk shook his head. "Okay good," said Dowoon.

"Well, I'm ready to go when you two are," said Brian. "Me too," said Sungjin. Dowoon nodded. Wonpil and Minhyuk lean down to let Brian, Sungjin and Dowoon climb onto their backs. "We follow the river now," said Dowoon as he hung onto the back part of the harness. "Alright," said Brian. "Go Minhyuk," he said, urging Minhyuk to move forward. Minhyuk pushed his body to run, with Wonpil running behind him.

Once they reached the plains they were attacked. "I should've known this was coming," said Brian as he held onto the harness as Minhyuk jumped around. Sungjin and Wonpil were forced to tank some of the attacks as Sungjin withdrew one of his swords and hopped off of Wonpil's back.

"Go on!" Yelled Sungjin as he fought with Wonpil to distract the enemy. "We'll catch up! Get to Jae and help him!" He yelled. Minhyuk was hesitant as he skittered backwards. "Go," said Dowoon. "We'll come back for them, we need your speed right now," he said. "Dowoon's right," said Brian as he summoned his orb. "Follow the orb alright?" He asked. Minhyuk nodded as the orb darted forward. Minhyuk sprinted after it.

Wonpil glanced at Sungjin as he reared up and they got back to back. "Well, this is it huh?" Asked Sungjin as he withdrew his other sword. "Let's do this," he said. Wonpil snorts before letting out a roar and barreling into the enemy. Sungjin let out a battle cry and did the same thing, slaying what enemies he could get to when Wonpil was occupied with his own enemies. They had to provide a distraction, and were prepared to die in the process.

The battle went on for what felt like hours, and Wonpil was getting pretty battered by this point. Sungjin was already bleeding from several wounds but they had to do this. They had to provide the distractions for their fellow guard members as Sungjin finally collapsed, unable to fight anymore. Wonpil didn't fare any better as he was forced to return to human form and collapse.

Minhyuk let out a howl, pushing his body to run faster as he did so. They had to get to Jae. That was the only thing they had to focus on right now. He could feel Brian lean down and cry into his neck, but they had to stay strong for them. Stay strong and stay alive for them.