Chapter 18

The Story of The King's Guard

They battled against the enemy for as long as possible, but they were losing, being too battered from all the last battles to last for too long. They did all they could to last but they were quickly getting exhausted.

Jae and Wonpil, who was in his polar bear form, stood back to back panting. Wonpil snorts as he slammed his paws into the ground and sent ice spikes in a circle to clear out the enemies. "We're almost done," said Jae as he threw his knife before launching at the person he threw it at to grab the knife and slash another enemy. Wonpil kept to his back to provide cover, slashing at the enemies with his claws.

Shownu, Kihyun, and Minhyuk weren't faring too well, but Dowoon was persistent as he fired arrows at the enemies with Junhyuk attacking along side Shownu and Kihyun. Minhyuk ran around with Dowoon on his back to give Dowoon more range as Shownu and Kihyun went close range. They had to last a bit longer, they needed to last a bit longer. They couldn't let the enemies closer to Sungjin who was being protected by Brian.

What they weren't expecting was help from across the borders as people from the other kingdom came and helped them. When help reached Wonpil and Jae, Wonpil let his body collapse from exhaustion as Jae let himself fall and lean against him, panting. Kihyun and Shownu let their bodies collapse as help reached them as Junhyuk sat, panting. Minhyuk was the last person to be reached and Dowoon let him lay down as he checked on his arrow supply.

Brian came out of the tent, holding up an awake Sungjin by slinging an arm around his shoulder. "We did get help after all," he said. "It seems so," said Sungjin as he looked around. "I think Dowoon made some friends when he went over the border to trade supplies," he said. "Seems like it," said Brian as he helped Sungjin walk over to the leader of the group.

"You must be the leader Dowoon was talking about then?" Asked the person once Brian and Sungjin reached them. "Yes, I am Sungjin," said Sungjin. "You can call me N then," said N as he nodded. "We heard about your troubles from across the borders from Dowoon when he stopped by with his dog and his wolf friend," he said. "I had to get everyone to help, which didn't take long, they don't like war," he said. "We had gotten done with our own civil war across the borders so," he said, shrugging. "Mm," said Sungjin.

"Wasn't aware of Vixx being in their own civil war," he said. "We kept it to the capitol, and our own king sent a few of us out to kind of make sure that the rest of the kingdom wasn't preparing for war," said N. "We'll help you take back this side of your kingdom, didn't think that it'd be just you guys out here," he said. Sungjin scoffs. "Yeah, apparently the queen can't spare 2 of her guard members to help us," he said.

N got the others to help everyone back to the camp and got Jae to sit down while the shapeshifters went to change back and put some clothes on before coming out of their tents and going to sit down by the fire.

Dowoon spotted N and walked over, nodding. "Thanks, for coming to help," he said. "No problem," said N as he smiled some. "Glad to see you awake again hyung," said Dowoon as he smiled at Sungjin. Sungjin scratched the back of his head in embarrassment. "Glad to be awake, I wish I had been strong enough to join you in battle though," he said. "Your health is important too," said N as he chuckled some.

"Let's see if one of our healers can check you and your polar bear friend over," he said as he walked back to the camp. Brian and Dowoon helped Sungjin go sit down beside Wonpil as N came back with someone. "This is Hyuk, he's one of our medics and healers so he'll check you over," said N.

Hyuk nodded and checked on Sungjin first. "Hm," said Hyuk. "Nothing should be wrong with you, it's your body then," he said. "As I suspected," said Wonpil. "Bet you my body is the same way," he said. "Our bodies are trying to catch up to the healing and it's not catching up fast enough because of what we had gone through before you guys came to rescue us," he said. "The fact that I sustained such a major injury is concerning," mumbled Sungjin.

"You both need proper rest, and we can't do that without you getting arrested for treason or risk the civil war going to the capitol," said N as he sighed. "Basically," said Dowoon as he walked over with his dog. "We're in a pickle here," said Wonpil.

"If we wait any longer they're going to attack the capitol," said Jae as he shook his head. "I've been fighting them for weeks, and fighting alone at that for most of it," he said. "One day they're going to just say 'screw it' and go to the capitol," he said. "This is the first time they actually had the balls to attack our camp straight up," he said.

"They attack us when we're at our weakest," said Sungjin. "They don't see me and they think it's an easy win," he said. "As much as that is true, we were prepared to fight til the end," said Shownu. "We all were," said Sungjin. "That's what we all swore when we got into the king's guard, to fight til the end and never give up," he said, holding up his guitar pick. Jae brought his guitar pick out from under his shirt and examined it. "Fight til the end," he said. "And then we can go and say goodbye," he said. "We all swore that didn't we?" Asked Wonpil. The others nod.