Chapter 15

The Story of The King's Guard

Sungjin floated in the darkness, looking above him as he did so. He could no longer feel the pain that his wounds caused him which was good, but he didn't wake up. He wanted to wake up but he felt so tired... Maybe sleep would do him well right now...

Kihyun ran straight to the middle of camp where Shownu and Jae were waiting with the cart. Dowoon hopped out of the cart as Shownu went to pick up Sungjin and put him down on a bedroll that had been laid out for him. Brian hopped off of Minhyuk's back as soon as they got to camp and ran to help Jae and Dowoon untie the rope from Kihyun's neck so he could shift back and put some pants on before going to check on Sungjin.

Minhyuk stood still long enough for Brian to come and pick up Wonpil and bring him to Sungjin's side and lay him down before he shifted back and went to put some pants on.

"What can I do?" Asked Brian as he went to Kihyun after he checked on Wonpil who checked over Sungjin. "I may need your lightning to jump start his heart," said Kihyun. "His pulse is weak, most likely due to the wound in his stomach, which is doing well thanks to Wonpil having the thought to freeze it shut," he said as he went to heal it. "Just shock him alright? We'll see if we can wake him," he said. Brian nodded and called upon the lightning magic, rubbing his hands together. "Clear!" He said as he put his hands on Sungjin's chest to shock it. Sungjin's back arched before it fell back and Brian put his head to his chest to listen for a stronger heartbeat.

Sungjin felt something pang in his chest as he gasped, suddenly feeling pain. He didn't want this! He didn't want this pain! He moved farther away from the pang in his chest though it kept coming in intervals. He wanted the pain to stop... He just wanted the pain to stop...

"Damn it," said Kihyun. "We're losing him!" He said as he checked Sungjin's vitals again. "Sungjin-hyung! You better come back damn it!" Shouted Brian as he shocked Sungjin again. He felt tears start to stream down his face but he wiped the tears and focused on Sungjin. "You can't do this to us, we made a promise remember?" He said, his voice cracking at the end. "Do you know how broken the others will be? Come on!" He said.

Sungjin found himself standing as he looked around the darkness. He didn't know where he was now, as he couldn't find any speck of light anywhere. "Am I dead?" He asked as he looked around. "Is this where we end up in the end?" He asked as he looked up. He could hear voices but they were far away. He didn't know what they were saying but he was assuming they were calling for him. He turned around, seeing a door appear in front of him. "This is it huh?" He asked as he walked to it. Something made him hesitate as he put his hand on the door handle.

Brian was sobbing now as he laid his head on Sungjin's chest. He could see it, he could see Sungjin at the door, death's door. "Come back... Please..." He said. "You need to come back..." He cried. Kihyun had done all he could as he went to check on Wonpil.

Dowoon and Jae walked over, putting their hands on Brian's shoulder. "He's gone Brian," Jae said softly, as to not trigger an angry reaction. "He's not gone!" Said Brian. "He can't be gone yet!" He said. "I see him there... He's at death's door but he hasn't opened it yet," he said. "There's still a chance!" He said.

"Do I really want to die here?" Sungjin asked as he let his hand fall from the door knob. "What happens then?" He asked as he took out his guitar pick that was hanging on a leather strap around his neck. He looked down at it, remembering the times they had.

"They can't function without me, I'm their leader," he said as he held the pick in between his fingers. "We made a promise... We would go back..." He said as he looked at the door again. He let the pick fall from his fingers and hang from the leather strap around his neck. "Not today death... I'll come back another day," he said, before turning and walking away from death's door.


Wonpil woke with a gasp as he sat up, clutching at his stomach. "Ow," he said, wincing. "Careful," said Kihyun as he gently pushed Wonpil back onto his back. "S-Sungjin?" Wonpil rasped out as he looked beside him, spotting a still sobbing Brian and a stoic Jae and Dowoon. "We aren't sure of his condition yet," said Kihyun. "N-No, I saw him," Wonpil said as he pushed Kihyun away and forced his body to move and sit up. "He's coming back," he said before he got into a coughing fit. "Minhyuk bring some water!" Called Kihyun. Minhyuk brought over some water and Kihyun held it to Wonpil's lips, forcing him to drink it. 

"B-Brian, he's coming back," Wonpil said after he had some water to drink. Brian turned to Wonpil in disbelief until his orb summoned by itself and he saw it. "Come back to us hyung!" Said Brian as he turned to Sungjin.

Sungjin could hear the voices become clearer now, and he could see a speck of light appear in the distance. "I'm almost there guys," he said as he forced his body to run towards it. He had to run towards it, it was his salvation. He needed to be there for them as a leader. He forced his body to run, despite how heavy his legs felt right now. "I'm almost there!" He said as he launched his body forward and into the light.

Sungjin woke with a start as he sat up. "Urgh you guys are loud when you cry you know that?" He asked, causing Brian to turn to him. "Hyung!" said Brian as he tackle hugged Sungjin, sobbing into his chest. Jae and Dowoon smile at Sungjin. "Hey you two," Sungjin said with a chuckle as he rubbed Brian's back. Wonpil tackled Sungjin, clinging to him. "I'm sorry!" He sobbed. "I'm sorry!" He repeated. Sungjin wrapped his other arm around Wonpil. "It's alright... I'm back now," he said.