Chapter 20

The Story of The King's Guard

Everyone got ready for the final attack to the biggest camp in the kingdom. Wonpil and Sungjin were both ready to go, Sungjin attaching the sword sheathes to his back and was ready to go. Wonpil was also ready to go, determined to finish this civil war once and for all.

Wonpil and Sungjin were ready and after Hyuk and Kihyun gave the okay for them to go, the others got ready. Shownu would be in close range with Wonpil, Sungjin, Jae and N. Hongbin and Hyuk would be on Kihyun's back with their bows and Brian would be on Minhyuk's back with Dowoon with his own bow. Jae and Sungjin would be on Shownu and Wonpil's back respectively and Junhyuk would be with them, ready to go close range and attack with the others.

After making sure Kihyun was okay with having 2 people on his back they all set out, heading to the rebel base. "Don't push yourself hyung," said Dowoon as they stopped a few feet from the base. "You too Wonpil," said Jae. "We won't," said Sungjin as Wonpil nodded in agreement.

Brian rubbed his hands together. "Let's get this party started," he said, clapping his hands together and letting the lightning drop. Minhyuk growled ready to go. Shownu inched forward as the enemy comes out of the compound.

With a roar Wonpil lead the attack as he launched his body forward with Sungjin on his back. Sungjin withdrew one of his swords and started slaying enemies left and right. Shownu jumped at the opportunity with Jae on his back and they too attacked with N and Junhyuk close behind them on the ground. Brian and Dowoon had Minhyuk circle around and provide cover as Kihyun went the other way with Hongbin and Hyuk.

The battle went on for a couple hours, Wonpil leading the fight despite him getting exhausted. Sungjin was aware of his own state as he went from using one to two swords as he attacked with Wonpil at his side. Junhyuk attacked with N, with N covering the dog and doing a decent job at multitasking. Slowly but surely they cut the numbers down.

Brian called for them to retreat and prepared for one last attack. Wonpil grabbed Sungjin and threw him onto his back before going for N and doing the same thing and sprinting out of the compound. Shownu and Junhyuk ran after them. Dowoon, Hongbin and Hyuk covered them with a barrage of arrows.

"Duck!" Yelled Brian as he rubbed his hands together when Wonpil and Shownu got far enough away with Junhyuk. Wonpil and Shownu immediately laid down with Sungjin dropping his swords as he leaned down with N leaning down against him. Jae leaned down against Shownu's back as Junhyuk crouched low beside Wonpil. Brian clapped his hands, letting the lightning drop onto the remaining enemies. "Phew, that was close," he said as Minhyuk whined and let his legs buckle as he collapsed.

Kihyun ran over to him as Shownu stood, helping Wonpil stand after N got off his back and handed Sungjin his swords. Sungjin re-sheathed his swords and slid off of Wonpil's back. "We did it," he said. "We finally did it," he said, letting his body fall against Wonpil's back as he passed out.

"Kihyun!" Yelled N. Kihyun ran over with Hyuk and Hongbin as Wonpil tried not to panic. Wonpil whimpered some as Hyuk hopped off his back. Brian had Minhyuk run over to them quickly, sensing something was wrong. Jae hopped off of Shownu's back and went to check on Sungjin. "God damn it old man!" Said Brian as he hopped off of Minhyuk's back and ran to Sungjin. Hyuk came over and checked his vitals. "His entire body is shutting down," he said. "Don't die on me old man!" Shouted Brian as he sent a shock through Sungjin's body.

"Where the hell is the closest hospital?" Asked N. "The capitol," said Dowoon as he deadpanned. "That's still far away," said Hongbin. "Let's get him back to camp first, Minhyuk go find a cart," said Dowoon as he urged Minhyuk into the compound to get a cart.

Brian tried to do everything to keep Sungjin alive, not caring right now that he was breaking down in front of complete strangers. Even Jae, ever stoic Jae had tears streaming down his face. "Come on old man," croaked out Brian. "Don't die on us damn it!" He said. Wonpil whimpered as he tried to nudge Sungjin. He wasn't good at showing emotions in his animal form but everyone could tell how close he was to breaking.

Minhyuk came back towing a cart with Dowoon on his back. "Alright, who's getting in the cart?" Asked Dowoon. Brian picked up Sungjin before putting him the cart and climbing in. Wonpil changed back to human form and hopped into the cart after Brian threw him some pants and he put them on. Jae got back on Shownu's back while hyuk got behind Hongbin and N and Junhyuk hopped into the cart. "Go Minhyuk!" Said Brian as he summoned his orb. It darted forward, heading back to camp and Minhyuk ran after it, trying not to jostle the cart as he pushed his body to run as fast as possible back to camp. Kihyun and Shownu made quick work to follow after him.

Sungjin found himself standing at death's door again as he found himself in the familiar darkness that was his mind. "My body finally failed me huh?" He asked as he looked at the door. "You couldn't let me say goodbye first?" He asked as he looked down at his guitar pick. He held it in front of his face as he examined it.

"I guess this is it then," he said, letting the pick fall against his chest. "Brian," he called as he looked up. "Take care of them alright? Especially Wonpil," he said. "I know he will be the most broken out of all of us, death is calling me," he said. "I'm sorry, I broke my promise for going back to say goodbye," he said before looking back at the door. He put his hand on the doorknob, hesitant on opening it. "I'm coming to see you Linzy," he mumbled before he opened the door and walked on through.


Brian and Wonpil had Minhyuk stop, seeing it was too late now. Wonpil had completely broke down as he sobbed, repeating the word "no." Brian's expression was blank but everyone saw the tears in his eyes as he tried to comfort Wonpil. N got out of the cart and went to stand with his friends as Shownu came over with Jae. Dowoon hopped off Minhyuk's back and walked over to the cart. He hopped in and brought Brian and Wonpil into a group hug. Jae, being the oldest came over and hugged them. He needed to be strong, he was the oldest and now the leader. He had to be strong for them.