Chapter 5

The Story of The King's Guard

Sungjin led the battle against the enemies, swinging his sword and going one handed for now. His training with Wonpil allowed them to work together regardless of what form Wonpil was in as they barreled through the enemies.

Brian urged Minhyuk forward as the enemy started retreating. "It's alright," he said, patting Minhyuk on the head. "Go forward and trust me on this," he said. Minhyuk whined before moving forward. "Okay, stay here," Brian said after Minhyuk moved forward a few feet. "I won't get you killed, I swear on it," he said as he rubbed his hands together, letting the electricity gather in his hands. "Lean your head down," he warned and Minhyuk bowed his head. "Move out of the way!" Brian shouted. Wonpil grabbed Sungjin by the shirt and threw him in one direction before changing back and hopping in the same direction and landing on his stomach. The rest of Wonpil's pack moved out of the way of the oncoming lightning storm.

Brian let out a deep breath and clapped his hands together, causing lightning bolts to drop down on the enemy. He was exhausted as the lightning stopped, an army of about 20 wolves laying on the ground dead. He gave a tired grin as Minhyuk lifted his head, turning and nudging Brian with his snout. "Well, that's the end of that," he said, before letting his body slump on Minhyuk's back as he passed out.

"Wow, he must've trained hard to master that," said Wonpil as he stood, helping Sungjin stand. "He was at the southern outpost for a good bit," said Sungjin as he scratched the back of his head. "What better way then to train while you kept an eye on things?" He asked. He went to grab his sword, re-sheathing it on his back before walking over to Minhyuk. "Good job," he said, patting Minhyuk on the head. "Brian's more of a long range fighter, I think you two'd do well together," he said. Minhyuk wagged his tail before looking at Wonpil who went to make sure the wolves were all dead.

They headed back to camp after gathering the bodies and burning them, letting the smoke rise up into the sky. "Well, that's that," said Wonpil as he came out of his tent dressed in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. "How's Brian?" He asked. "Fine, he's just tired," said Kihyun as he came over. "I'd suggest letting him rest," he said.

"Are you alright Sungjin?" Asked Wonpil as he turned to Sungjin. "I'm fine," said Sungjin. "I'm tired," he said, sighing. "Get some sleep then," said Wonpil. "You haven't had proper rest in a good week or so," he said, chuckling some. Sungjin scratched the back of his head. "It's been a while since I was out of the capitol," he muttered before shaking his head. "Go rest in my tent, I'll wake you when dinner is ready," said Wonpil. Sungjin nodded and went into Wonpil's tent.

"Are you going to be leaving again?" Asked Shownu as Wonpil went to prepare dinner. "I will," said Wonpil. "Duty calls," he said. "I trust you can keep things in check here," he said, tilting his head at Shownu. Shownu nodded. "As I always have," he said.

"I think Minhyuk wants to go with you," he said as he looked to where Minhyuk was. "If he wants to," said Wonpil. "He doesn't have to," he said. "It'd be just you two then," he said, sighing. "But I know that things will die down now, now that this side of the kingdom is good," he said. "Settle down somewhere, being nomadic isn't always good," he said. "We might," said Kihyun as he walked over. "We're not far from the border actually," he said. "We may cross over and still keep an eye on things," he said. Wonpil nodded and smiled some. "Gonna miss leading this pack again," he said. Shownu chuckled some. "You'll do great, just hang in there," he said.

Wonpil was left to ponder things as he made dinner, making sure to keep an eye on the food so he didn't accidentally burn it. He turned when he heard movement and saw Brian walk out of Minhyuk's tent. "Hey hyung," he said. "Mm," said Brian as he rubbed the back of his neck. "How are you feeling?" Asked Wonpil. "Hungry," said Brian as he chuckled some. "Of course," Wonpil said, laughing some. "Dinner will be ready soon, go relax a bit," he said before turning back to dinner. Brian nodded and went to lay under a tree, using one of his arms as a pillow and laying his other arm across his stomach.

"Wonpil," said Minhyuk as he walked over. "Hm?" Asked Wonpil as he looked up from cooking. "I think when you leave I want to go with you," said Minhyuk. "Are you sure?" Asked Wonpil as he tilted his head to the side. Minhyuk nodded. "I want to help, and I know I can help Brian," he said. "I've always stayed in the back when we had our battles but now I'll have a reason to," he said. "If you want to," said Sungjin as he left Wonpil's tent and walked over. "You may not have had the training that Wonpil and I had but I'm sure we can scrounge something up," he said. "Plus we can pretty much get places faster in both your animal forms and get some practice in along the way," he said.

"I am not opposed to that idea," Brian called from his spot under the tree as he sat up. "The quicker we can get to Dowoon and his dog the quicker we can stop what's happening up north before we head east," he said. "I'm really worried for Jae, Chen says he hasn't been doing too well," he said. "He will stay alive until we get to him," said Sungjin as he sighed. "I mean, he's still alive now," he said. "If he wasn't then we'd have to head east immediately to stop the civil war from reaching the capitol," he said. "No one wants to cross Jae's path, at least, unless they have a death wish," he said.

"It's settled then," said Sungjin as everyone gathered around the campfire to eat dinner. "We leave tomorrow, and head north," he said. "Plan out some strategies along the way, and then we tackle the eastern side of the kingdom," he said.

"I think, if we were to do this the way I'm thinking," said Brian as he ate. "Dowoon is on Minhyuk's back with me since we're both long range and Minhyuk's faster," he said. "If we do it this way then if something happens and we need to get away Minhyuk can do that," he said. Sungjin nodded. "Leave us to close range, but what about if we need to get Jae out of a sticky situation?" He asked. "Then we do what we can to get him out," said Wonpil. "That's what we always do," he said.