Chapter 8

The Story of The King's Guard

Jae couldn't remember the last time he saw his fellow guard members, but when news of the King being assassinated reached the eastern side of the kingdom he had not been prepared to meet resistance. He should've taken up Wonpil's offer of leaving one of his pack members with him. He hoped that they got to him soon.

Jae had finished killing off another person, panting as he did so. "You guys just don't stop do you?!" He shouted as he threw one of his knives at another person, getting them in the throat before running over and grabbing said knife and slashing another person's throat in the process with his other knife.

"Why did the east have to have so many damn resistance members," he grumbled to himself as he jumped out of the way of another enemy, kicking out his leg to trip the person before going to kick them in the face.

He hopped around another few people as he faltered, getting slashed in the shoulder. "Argh!" He said as he dropped his knives and gripped onto his shoulder. He grabbed one of his knives with his working hand and slashed the enemies down, slaying them. He turned to the remaining enemy, panting as he winced at the cut in his shoulder. "You want to finish the job?" He shouted as he launched at the remaining enemies.

A howl was heard and two large wolves came and attacked the remaining enemy, going to stand in front of Jae and snarling at those who remained. Jae looked surprised as he felt himself blacking out from blood loss. "About damn time I had some help," he managed to say before he passed out. 

 

~



Wonpil watched as his orb summoned by itself and he tilted his head at it. "What's up?" Asked Sungjin as he saw the orb. "I think I know where my last two pack members went," said Wonpil. "They went for Jae didn't they?" Asked Minhyuk as he tilted his head to the side. Wonpil nodded. Brian came over with his own orb summoned. "I guess Chen told you too?" Asked Wonpil. "Yeah," said Brian.

"Well that's good," said Dowoon as he came over. "They just bought us some time," he said. "I don't know how we'll be able to tackle the rebels here," he said. "I've been doing some planning," said Brian. "I think it's time we got some training in with us being on Minhyuk's back," he said. Dowoon tilted his head to the side. "I don't know if I can carry two people," said Minhyuk. "We can try," said Dowoon. "If it doesn't work out then I'll be on Wonpil's back with Sungjin," said Brian. "It'd be nice to get some long range back up," said Sungjin as he scratched the back of his head. "Especially when I'm preoccupied," said Wonpil.

"Okay," said Wonpil. "All you have to do is shift," he said. "And then we'll test your speed with those two," he said. Minhyuk nodded and stripped down before changing. He leaned down to let Dowoon and Brian climb onto his back. "Alright Sungjin, go as far back as possible," said Wonpil. "We'll test speed," he said. "How far?" Asked Sungjin. "Let's do 50 feet first," said Wonpil. Sungjin nodded and moved back about 50 feet. "Okay, in 3... 2... 1... Go!" Said Wonpil. Minhyuk pushed his body forward in a sprint to get to Sungjin with Brian and Dowoon on his back.

"Okay, 20 seconds," said Brian as Minhyuk reached Sungjin. "It's gonna be hard if we're in the middle of a battle though," said Dowoon. "Do you suggest we get a harness on him?" Asked Brian. Minhyuk snorts. "If there's one big enough for him," said Sungjin as he went over and pet Minhyuk on the head. "We could always make a makeshift one," said Dowoon. "I think I have some spare rope in my house somewhere," he said. Dowoon and Brian hop off of Minhyuk's back before heading back to the house with Minhyuk and Sungjin.

"20 seconds?" Asked Wonpil as they reached the house. "Yeah," said Brian. "Let me see what I can scrounge up," said Dowoon as he headed into his house. Minhyuk sat down, waiting on Dowoon. "A harness? Well, I know you're faster than a horse Minhyuk but," Wonpil said with a snicker. Minhyuk bared his teeth, growling a bit.

After a few minutes Dowoon came out with some rope, slinging it around Minhyuk's neck and tying it together before going over to Minhyuk's stomach area and throwing another piece of rope there and tying it down. "Can you like lean back on your back paws and lift up your front legs?" He asked Minhyuk. Minhyuk tilted his head in confusion. "Like this," said Dowoon as he got on all fours and then sat down and lifted his arms up. Minhyuk nodded and did what he was told. Dowoon nodded and connected the two with a last piece of rope to stabilize the make shift harness and stepped back.

"Looks good," said Sungjin before he went to set up some targets. Minhyuk shook out his fur to test the harness. "I'mma have to attach one more piece of rope for me to hold on to but if I'm going to be shooting arrows that's gonna be rather difficult," said Dowoon. "Make a seat belt of sorts," said Sungjin. "I could do that actually," said Dowoon as he went to grab more rope. "Let's get the last piece on Minhyuk," said Brian. "I think it's easier to have two spots for us to hang onto," he said. "I think I got that already," said Dowoon as he walked over. "You're on his upper back and I'm on his lower back," he said.

"Alright, let's try this," said Wonpil. "Sungjin's set up some targets and now it'll be Dowoon working on firing arrows while moving," he said. "Well," said Dowoon as he scratched the back of his head. "I did have some practice on a horse," he said. "But I guess we can try this," he said.

Minhyuk nodded and leaned down, letting Dowoon climb onto his back. He grabbed his bow from his back and an arrow from the quiver. "Alright, ready," he said. Minhyuk ran forward, causing Dowoon to tighten his grip on Minhyuk's back as he almost fell off. He aimed for the first target, launching arrows at it. As Minhyuk ran by other targets Dowoon made quick work to launch arrows at the targets.

Once they were done they had Brian do the same thing until they could both launch projectiles while they were both on Minhyuk's back. It exhausted Minhyuk but they were getting the hang of their teamwork now by the time Sungjin called it a success. "Alright, I'll get started on dinner," said Sungjin as he headed into the house. "Good job you three, you deserve that rest," said Wonpil as Dowoon and Brian hopped off Minhyuk's back. Minhyuk changed back to human form and went to wash himself in the river before getting out and getting dressed. He headed inside to eat dinner.