Chapter 19

The Story of The King's Guard

Having more help was nice, and it allowed Sungjin and Wonpil to get some much needed rest as Brian and one of N's friends, Hongbin, planned out how to take out this rebel base. They had basically cut the numbers in half and were sure that they could destroy the rest at the big base.

"So you want our long range fighters to be with Minhyuk and Kihyun?" Asked Hongbin. "It'll be much easier in case we need their speed, but we need to test who is faster," said Brian. "Case in point," said Hongbin. "But we also need to test Shownu, because he will most likely have Jae on his back from what you've told me about observing the two," he said. "Jae can work long or close range, he can throw his knives but if we're going to have him long range we need to test his accuracy," said Brian. "Who all can go long range?" Asked Hongbin. "Me, Dowoon and Wonpil but as you saw, he's better at close range," said Brian. "Hm," said Hongbin.

"Okay," said Brian as he called over Minhyuk and Kihyun. "You two will most likely go long range with Dowoon and I," he said. "So we need to test to see who is faster," he said. Kihyun nodded. "Alright," said Minhyuk. "How rested are you?" Asked Hongbin. "Pretty rested," said Kihyun. Minhyuk nodded in agreement.

"Where's Dowoon?" Asked Brian. "He went with N across the borders to get more supplies, and a new bow," said Kihyun. "His last bow broke in the battle, so he's looking to upgrade or get a crossbow, something he's never worked with before apparently," he said. "Hm," said Brian.

"Alright, go get Jae then," said Hongbin. "We need someone to be on Kihyun's back anyway," he said. Minhyuk nodded and went to get Jae, returning with him after he explained what they wanted. "Alright," said Jae. Minhyuk and Kihyun stripped down and changed, shaking out their fur. "Hyuk!" Called Hongbin. Hyuk ran over. "What's up?" He asked. "Can you go that way about 100 feet? These two will have a race," he said. "Sure," said Hyuk before he went back 100 feet. Brian and Jae got on Minhyuk and Kihyun's backs and waited until Hyuk was far enough back.

"Alright," said Brian. "Go!" He said and Minhyuk and Kihyun jumped forward, pushing their bodies to run as they both ran towards Hyuk. It was a close race, Kihyun and Minhyuk being neck and neck but Minhyuk pushed it the last 10 feet as he stretched his body out as he ran, giving the significant advantage over Kihyun who just pushed his body to catch up.

Once they reached Hyuk they did a quick 360 turn and ran back to Hongbin. Kihyun caught onto what Minhyuk was doing but by then Minhyuk was already a few feet ahead as he did the same thing. "Go Minhyuk!" Cheered Brian as Minhyuk howled. Kihyun growled, Jae comforting him a bit as he ran. "It's alright, you make up the speed for your strength, Minhyuk's always been long range anyway," he said as they reached Hongbin.

Brian hopped off of Minhyuk's back, petting Minhyuk on the head. Jae hopped off Kihyun's back, who shook out his fur. "Wow, you were right Brian," said Hongbin. "Well, we can work on the speed a little bit," said Brian as he turned to Kihyun. "We'll wait til Dowoon gets back and we'll have a race between the three of them," he said. Kihyun snorts and changed back and put his clothes on. Minhyuk went to do the same thing. Hyuk ran back over. "Damn, remind me to not do that again, scared the hell out of me when they suddenly did a 360 turn," he said.

 

~



Dowoon was 8 when he had been tasked to go out and get rabbits for dinner tonight. He had set up some snares so he went to check on them to see if he caught anything as he grabbed his trusty bow and quiver filled with arrows for protection. This would be his first time going alone, since his parents were sick. He headed out to the small forest outside of town, going down the familiar path to find where he had put his snares.

Dowoon had managed about 5 of 8 snares with rabbits as he finished getting his catches when he heard a noise behind him. He quickly grabbed his bow and an arrow from his quiver as he drew the string back, attaching the arrow to it. Apparently he had gotten too close to a bear's den as he saw the thing towering above him. "Damn it," he said, pushing his body to run in the opposite direction of the bear. He heard a roar and the bear quickly gave chase. "Crap crap crap," he said as he ran, pushing his body to run faster as the bear was quickly catching up.

He heard another roar in front of him and saw a polar bear rear up. "Oh crap!" He said as he dove to the side and out of the polar bear's way. He wasn't sure who this was, but he was completely sure that this was one of the shapeshifters from town. The bear and the polar bear attacked head on, Dowoon forcing his body to move away from the fight as his back hit a tree. He looked over when he heard voices.

"Get him Wonpil!" Came Sungjin's voice as he ran over with Jae and Joshua. "We saw you head into the forest, I figured something was up," said Sungjin as he came over to Dowoon. "I-I was getting rabbits," said Dowoon. "Are you alright?" Asked Joshua. Dowoon nodded. "I was getting rabbits for dinner," he said. Sungjin held out his hand and Dowoon took it, Sungjin helping him stand.

"Don't go alone next time," said Sungjin. "If you want just come to my parent's farm, we can help you with food," he said. Dowoon nodded. "You're Sungjin right?" He asked. Sungjin grinned. "Yep!" He said. "This is Jae-hyung, and my brother Joshua," he said. "If you really need to hunt, just call on one of us," he said. "We'll help," he said. Dowoon nodded and turned when Wonpil came over in human form with a grin on his face. "Easy!" He said. Jae sighed and threw him some pants to put on. "At least put on some pants," he said. Wonpil laughs and put on the pants before tackling Dowoon. "You're welcome!" He said. Dowoon got shy as he blushed. "Aw, we got a shy kid!" Said Sungjin. "Come on!" He said, before going back to town with the others following after him.

 

~



Dowoon was brought out of his thoughts as he and N reached camp after getting what they needed from across the border. "Did you get what you needed?" Asked Brian as he spotted them. Dowoon nodded. "Got a new bow," he said. "The crossbow would've taken some time to make, something we don't have right now," he said.

"Good, because we're heading out tomorrow," said Hongbin as he walked over. "We have a strategy, and hopefully Sungjin and Wonpil are okay to go tomorrow because this strategy needs everyone," he said. Dowoon and N nod.